Newton Pens - Caramel Macchiato - Pocket Size

ethernautrix

The Caramel Macchiato arrived today, Shawn, and I LOVE IT!

fpn_1379358945__20130916_newton_shorty_2

fpn_1379359092__20130916_newton_shorty_8

For a size comparison (note that the TWSBI Micarta (rightmost pen) is not aligned at the bottom so the length might be misleading; it is 5-5/16" (13.5 cm); that's a Nakaya Piccolo Cigar in the middle).

fpn_1379358971__20130916_newton_shorty_4

This pen is perfectly made - the seams are seamless (that is, can't detect the seam by rubbing a thumb over it - beautiful job), everything looks and feels perfect. And I love the threads on the butt of the pen, to screw the cap on when in use.

I couldn't be more pleased with this pen.

OH! And the steel F nib! -- I said that I liked my F line a bit thinner than usual, and Shawn NAILED it! It is perfect!

When I ordered the pen, I sortv thought, eh, I'll like it and all, but I probably won't use it much, cos... NAKAYA (I use my Nakayas the most of my pens). I thought I was buying the pen to look at, cos I like the Caramel Macchiato. Well, Shawn really showed me up. Hahahaha. I can see this pen as a daily user. I have been using it at work for the past couple of hours. I love it!

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• ethernautrix

• jimhughes

• Raskolnikov

Wahoo! I'm SO glad you like it! I was really curious what you would think of it since you use Nakaya pens so much. I'm SO delighted you like it as much as you do.

And I'm very glad the nib is good. :)

Cheers!

Shawn, thank you so much! I really couldn't be more pleased with my Shorty. I have long been impressed with your pen-making, but it is one thing to look at pictures and another to hold one and use it.

And I was so taken by the pen, I completely forgot to mention the cool box! Hahahaha! I love that the sliding cover can make the box look like a secret holder; that is, a holder of secrets. Or important documents, like dollar bills. Hold on.... Just an inch or so longer, and US paper currency would fit length-wide, curled. :-D

Very, very well-done. Kudos and thanks!

etherX in To Miasto

Pictures of the box...

http://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/010.jpg?w=700&h=

Works as a pen rest too. :)

http://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/013.jpg?w=1000&h=

Really nice fatty one :D I have a "giant" friend (almost literally) who could appreciate it :) I was thinking of getting him an old Jumbo Pen but well, this is more like him!

I'd say it's just a smidgen thinner than the Nakaya Piccolo pictured. By the way, very comfortable pen. Both of them, actually.

Shawn, I'm getting compliments on Shorty. I was about to say that no one notices my Nakayas, but it could be because I can't clip them to my collar, but even so, other pens I've clipped to my collar haven't been remarked upon. So there's that now. Shorty, the conversation piece. (Laughing.)

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Oh and by the way, what's that shallow, cheap looking red pen with a bug on?

(Ok, my Nakaya envy is reaching creepy levels)

Oh and by the way, what's that shallow, cheap looking red pen with a bug on?

(Ok, my Nakaya envy is reaching creepy levels)

Neener, neener!

etherX in To Miasto

When I saw the picture, I said: "yum"!

I can't use short fountain pens, and I have turned my nose up to all warm colors pens, but that fountain pen is stunning.

I suspect Shawn is targeting unsuspecting aficionados of all things coffee, milky and caramel.

I am not surprised Ethernautrix has received so many compliment about it!

If a loved one has a significant milestone or is in need of a cheer up and love all things coffee, tiramisu and mocha, this is the pen to get.

The box is also stunning and very different!

Just by its look, the pen is a ten thumbs up!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

ethernautrix:

So , are you like the Doc I used to work with , who treated himself to a Starbucks Shorty Brew on the way in to work a couple of days a week. Staff called them his "On a Cloud Day" nothing bothered him all day.

Shawn; How does the Shorty compare in size , style to the NMPCC Pen you did for us in July? Chi Town has a Shorty, IIRC, in a brownish tortoise?

They should be nearly the same size.

The cap finial on this one is different from the NMPCC pens.

The pocket pen for Chi Town is 4 3/8″ closed, 4″ open, and 6 1/8″ posted.

The NMPCC pens are 4 3/8″ closed, 4″ open, and 6 1/8″ posted.

And this one is Closed 4 3/8″- Open 4 1/8″- Posted 6 1/8″. The diameter on this one is thinner though. .50" rather than .55" (at the barrel threads).

Thanks, Shawn. I think I still need another short men although the NMPCC is just about perfect, especially the non death grip inducing section diameter. I tend to cling on the smaller diameter sections for dear life. End of the day I've got a painful hand and a large divit in my middle finger.

I'm glad you like the size. I think this is my favorite size of all the pens I make. It's right about the same diameter as a 149. :) Just about the perfect size for me... now I just need a 149. :D

Really cute pen!....reminds a bit of the little JPLepine Attila I had once...

Welcome to the Newton club...use mine almost every day...

:thumbup:

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

It IS a cute pen, but, like, a sophisticated cute.

I brought the pen to Pen Posse on Sunday, and people made murmurs of appreciation. For those who were not familiar with Shawn's work, I think it was reassuring to see how well-made the pen is.

etherX in To Miasto

I love what I've seen of Shawn's pens. Can you get one where the barrel isn't bulged out (for lack of a better term)? I prefer a straight barrel.

Yes, I realize I should just ask Shawn myself.