A Double-Ended Pen? Why Not?

bgray

I received the pen today. It's a bit too dark to take good outdoor photos, so I inked up the pen and took a few pics with my phone. Wanted to show the colors ink the ink view barrel, which allow me to see which end is inked with what color.

It is very fun flipping between the two sides to get different colors. The pen is currently inked with Diamine Sherwood Green and Diamine WES Imperial Blue (which looks more purple than blue). Both nibs are Mike Masuyama 0.2mm ground.

The pen is slightly longer than the standard Pearl, as Brian showed in his photos. But it isn't too long/unwieldy. In short, I _love_ the pen! Originally I wanted to have him make two for me (so I could carry four colors of ink), but held off until I had one in my hand. I should have just had him make two at once!

More details in a forthcoming review, once I've had more time with the pen. Thanks so much, Brian. This pen is PERFECTION.

fpn_1379544775__edison_double_ended_pear

fpn_1379544995__edison_double_ended_pear

fpn_1379545016__edison_double_ended_pear

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trhall

• bgray

• fountainbel

• ethernautrix

Wow, that pen is stunning! I can't wait for your full review and more pictures!

This is probably the most well-executed version of the "double pen" concept that I've seen (though I haven't really searched it out at all). Well done, Brian!

P.S. Bonus points for using my favorite ink (Diamine Sherwood Green)!

Congratulations Brian and Trhall, splendid idea !

The pen looks very nice, and its total length of the pen looks very acceptable to me!

Much more acceptable compared to my double nib piston filler prototype, which I've finished a few weeks ago ....

I knew upfront the double capped pen would be 6.9 inches long, but still wanted to make it.......just for fun and for the challenge.

Wishing you lots of success with your new creation !

Francis

Wonderful concept and execution! Does anyone else remember the push-me-pull-you in Doctor Doolittle?

I always carry one pen with a cursive italic nib and another with a round nib (mostly for signatures). This pen may be just the ticket!

Do you fill each reservoir by unscrewing the section on its end?

David

Much more acceptable compared to my double nib piston filler prototype, which I've finished a few weeks ago ....

Sounds like an interesting prototype, Francis! Did you post photos?

Do you fill each reservoir by unscrewing the section on its end?

Correct. You simply unscrew the section and then fill it via eye dropper. Quick, clean, and fast!

I left the pen stored in a pen wrap vertically (with one nib point downwards) all night in my work bag, and took it to the office today. Both nibs writing started immediately with no skipping, and there was no ink burping/leaking. Also using it throughout the day (switching sides frequently), I encountered no issues with either nib.

I took a few better photos today. I think this lighting better shows off the ink colors. Also note that I chose the darkest translucent gray material Brian had for the ink view. I wanted the pen to look a bit stealthy. (The pen isn't bulging on the end; that's an artifact from the pancake lens I used to take the photos.)

Hopefully, comparing it in size to a TWSBI Diamond 540 will help people see that the pen isn't too large. Note that I had Brian make this as a "skinny" Pearl. It has a slightly smaller barrel diameter to help minimize the step down to the section.

fpn_1379630286__edison_double_ended_pear

fpn_1379630312__edison_double_ended_pear

fpn_1379630335__edison_double_ended_pear

fpn_1379630349__edison_double_ended_pear

fpn_1379630365__edison_double_ended_pear

Ah jeez... the more details I hear about this pen (thinner than the Pearl?), the more I can't ignore that little voice that nudges me into considering buying another pen -- which, I HAVE PLENTY OF PENS!

But I do not have a double-ended pen.

Sigh.

Of course I look at this thread everyday. Of course I do.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

But I do not have a double-ended pen.

Two ends are better than one. :D

Yes, I call the size a "skinny Pearl". It's still the same length as a Pearl, just with a slightly smaller diameter. Same thing with the Hakumin Urushi Kobo Edison Pearl (Kuro Tamenuri) that is almost done. I like that size/shape.

That pen really comes alive when you see it inked - I particularly like the satisfactorily thick clear barrier between the two inks, which gains by the contrast (uninked, I'd not noticed it). I loathe combos so I'd never thought I'd be won over by a double-ended pen, but this really is one beautiful instrument. Understated and elegant.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Sounds like an interesting prototype, Francis! Did you post photos?

Hi trhall,

FYI, Posted a few photos in the "Pen making" forum..

Francis

Maybe I'm just unimaginative, but I think I want the same one! I'd have to think up the ideal nib combo for this.

Sounds like you have good tastes, to me. :)

Nice piece of engineering. However there could be a problem with the balance of the pen, suppose you use section A with little ink left in it, when at that moment section B is still plenty, your pen will be out of balance.

I saw this on the Edison website last night and was really intrigued. What a great looking pen. I will definitely have to get one. the only real concern would be carrying it and the obvious pull of gravity on the end that's facing down. I'll keep bugging those that have it already to see how its doing with that.

Nice piece of engineering. However there could be a problem with the balance of the pen, suppose you use section A with little ink left in it, when at that moment section B is still plenty, your pen will be out of balance.

So far, I haven't encountered any concerns with balance with the pen different amounts of inks in each end, which is great!

the only real concern would be carrying it and the obvious pull of gravity on the end that's facing down. I'll keep bugging those that have it already to see how its doing with that.

No issues so far AT ALL. The pen has been carried back and forth to work and not even a tiny drop of ink has come out the the nib facing downwards. Looking good so far.

• 3 weeks later...

An update: I cleaned the double-ended Pearl earlier this past week. Had no issues with any leaking at all. Even had no issues when I removed one section to flush it with water and shook the pen to get water out. Loving this pen!

I have to have one of these for grading student essays. Do you suppose I can deduct it from my taxes as a work expense? ;)

"Life is too big for words, so don't try to describe it. Just live it."

- C.S. Lewis

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Wow, I guess there is no limit to neat designs for fountain pens. Wonderful idea, wonderful execution. Congratulations to both of you and thanks for the update on pocket carrying with one nib upside down. It will take me a while to select which two nib combinations I would want.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Oho~mesmerizing, to be sure...

For someone who dislikes demonstrators, this pen makes me want to make an exception because...the dual ink effect is so cool! Do keep us updated when you write some more.

I'm curious to know if the weight will feel unbalanced if one end of the pen has more ink than the other (ex: if for whatever reason, you finished writing with one side first, would the opposite [ink-filled] end make the pen top heavy? or vice versa---would an empty barrel make the other end feel bottom-heavy?)

Actually, what is the weight of the pen inked/uninked?

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...