Who Else Thinks That A Mechanical Pencil Is The Next-Best Thing To A Fountain Pen?

lurcho

:thumbup:

I had a feeling it might be JDM only. Do you have any other quirky pencils?

During the 1970's through 1990's, the Japanese writing instrument companies had an unusually high passion for creating mechanical pencils. And they'd keep the best for themselves--made and marketed to the Japanese Domestic Market. Many of these wonderfully well made pencils were constructed almost entirely out of quality stainless steel and adorned with artful designs to delight their customers, who recognized that they were exclusive (not exported outside of Japan). The on-line markets were the gateway to finally allowing those wonderful writing instruments to break free of the country confines and make their way overseas. Previously, you'd only be able to get them by having someone pick them up in Japan or going there yourself.

So this little corner of the writing instrument world caught my eye, and over time I've picked up a nice range of different pencil designs. Some you might consider quirky, but others impressively futuristic and functional. I wish I'd gotten into this about 10 years ago... as more and more people have caught on (especially some wealthy buyers in China), causing auction prices to go up. I'm lucky to have gotten quite a few great ones before prices got crazy on them. I've been toying with the idea of starting a review blog at some point... but life is too busy right now.

What are some of your favorite vintage mechanical pencils?

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• 1nkulus

• truthpil

• milkb0at

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mech-pencils were my good friends during drafting classes. Line width was consistent and staedtler leads are outstanding; I still have the ones I bought in the mid 80s!

I am partial to the Pentel sharp and the old school Staedtlers. with the octagonal/hexagonal shape; even though a Parker Jotter Mech pen fits great.

For enjoyment I still prefer a good FC9000 (grade F) but for EDC there is always a mech pencil in my backpack as I can't sharpen leads while doing work in factories or in the field (and found out that people frown when you use a sharpener in an airplane)

I have a .5 rotring 600 and a couple cheaper .5 Zebra M301s. I use them mainly for laying out line drawings for later inking, not so much for normal writing. The rotring will last forever, but I've already had two of the zebras break where the plastic grip section joins the barrel. They seem particularly fragile at that point, and a good drop might do it.

I'm still butthurt the Staedtler doesnt make .5 mech pencils... but here's the Concrete

FQOy8X4.jpg

dDwv89u.jpg

and to ease the production just fit in a spacer and a Parker refill you got yourself a clicky ball point so refilling the pencil itself is a pain as it cant be refilled from the click mechanism

Edited by Algester

I'm still butt hurt the Staedtler doesn't make .5 mech pencils... but here's the Concrete

and to ease the production just fit in a spacer and a Parker refill you got yourself a clicky ball point so refilling the pencil itself is a pain as it cant be refilled from the click mechanism

Staedtler doesn't make 0.5 mm mech pencils? Are you kidding? :huh:

I'd been putting off buying a Spoke pencil until the Spoke 5 came out. I wanted to see what the design would look like and then decide on whether to get that or the earlier model Spoke 4. Well, the Spoke 5 is all titanium and too light for my interest. And I really enjoy the bespoke aspect of the Spoke 4. I wrote a review about it on Reddit, here.

Spoke-4_Blue-Brass_01.jpg

This is an amazingly fine pencil for the price. I really think they could charge more for it, given what you get -- not just the pencil and wide range of options to choose from, but you also get a terrific stand, plastic carry tube, extra erasers and lead too, all shipped smartly in foam envelopes inside a cardboard box.

What are some of your favorite vintage mechanical pencils?

I had a few, sold/gave away a decade ago. I was using more wooden pencils then.

Pentel, Rotring, Faber Castell, Pilot, Staedtler.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

their premium line up is made of .7 mechanism... <_< their 925 however is in multiple tip sizes

Ah, now that makes sense. You can see how strange it sounds unqualified as first stated.

I didn't even know they still made a premium line. It's not on the USA website... maybe not offered here?

their premium line up is made of .7 mechanism... <_< their 925 however is in multiple tip sizes

In the premium line up, the Initium comes in 0.7 and 0.9 whereas the 'Organiser' pencil comes in 0.5 and 0.7

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I've just recently discovered the joy and usefulness of 0.3mm mechanical pencils and want to get a "nice" one to put alongside my fountain pens for EDC.

Any suggestions for a "luxury" pencil in 0.3? So far all I could find is the Pilot S20.

I'm particularly looking for something with smooth lines and curves, kind of the opposite of most spear-like drafting pencils.

Also, being pocket safe would be a plus.

Thanks for any suggestions!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

S20 is probably the best bet.

Some other options,

Platinum Pro-Use Pencil MSD-1000

Platinum Pro-Use Pencil MSD-1500

Pentel GrapGear 1000

Staedtler 925

You could consider a multi-function pen like Zebra Sharbo X, which has the option of 0.3mm pencil.

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

Thanks, 1nkulus!

I had never thought about going the multi-function route, but some of those look much nicer than the regular 0.3mm pencils.

Why not a basic rotring 600 0.3? their 0.35 uses both 0.35 and 0.3 lead.

I can say the zebra delguard 0.3 does what it advertises, that 0.3 doesn't break.

Still, for my money, I'm bouncing between the rotrint 600 and 800. I think the 600 is better, even though the twist out of the point that the 800 has is monumentally satisfying to my ADD-addled brain in class. the 600 just feels like a damn surgical tool. I just wish it had the kuru toga rotation mechanism and the pentel twist eraser.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I can say the zebra delguard 0.3 does what it advertises, that 0.3 doesn't break.

Still, for my money, I'm bouncing between the rotrint 600 and 800. I think the 600 is better, even though the twist out of the point that the 800 has is monumentally satisfying to my ADD-addled brain in class. the 600 just feels like a damn surgical tool. I just wish it had the kuru toga rotation mechanism and the pentel twist eraser.

+1

I too tend to prefer the 600 but the tip usually bends, owing to the weight, if dropped.

It is heavy, so not everyone's taste.

Engineer :

I had never thought about going the multi-function route, but some of those look much nicer than the regular 0.3mm pencils.

The Zebra is an odd one. I am unaware of 'luxury' pencils in 0.3

I find the chunky MSD-1500 smooth and comfortable to use.

Engineer :

Yeah, other than the Pilot S20 there doesn't seem to be anything "luxury-like" in 0.3mm. If only Lamy 2000 or Scribble had an 0.3mm option!!

As something EDC, I was really hoping for something either retractable or without the sharp pipe sticking out. I don't think anything is made like the latter because that tiny lead would probably break too easily without the extended pipe.

The Rotring 800 is retractable, but doesn't come in 0.3.

Would Pentel Ain Stein 0.3 lead really work well in the 0.35mm Rotring 600 without wobbling or something? I'm afraid I'll either stab myself or bend the tip on the 600.

Edited by TruthPil

Yeah, other than the Pilot S20 there doesn't seem to be anything "luxury-like" in 0.3mm. If only Lamy 2000 or Scribble had an 0.3mm option!!

+1

The retractable tip is on the Pentel GraphGear 1000 and Ohto Super Promecha 1500.

You just have to be careful with the 600, great pencil if you don't mind the heft. I use a ball pen cap to protect the tip.

Pentel 0.3 lead works fine. Uni NanoDia and Pilot Neox are worth considering.

I prefer the 600 to the 800.

Engineer :

This is an amazingly fine pencil for the price. I really think they could charge more for it, given what you get -- not just the pencil and wide range of options to choose from, but you also get a terrific stand, plastic carry tube, extra erasers and lead too, all shipped smartly in foam envelopes inside a cardboard box.

+1

Lovely exterior with quality innards (P200), best of both worlds. :)

Great acquisition, the desk dock is great.

I like the 5-3 in grey anodized.

Engineer :