Why Are Cross Pens So Underrated?

The Blue Knight

Is there a list of Cross LEs? AFAIK, there is the 150th and the Tennis.

I don't know of a list, but I don't think there are many. They recently came out with an SE and an LE for the 20th anniversary of the Townsend. There is a list of all the Townsend finishes in the Cross forum.

There is also the Zodiac pens. So far they made a Dragon (2012), Snake (2013) and Horse (2014). I think these pens are considered LEs.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• Florida Blue

• whitedot

• sandy101

Is there a list of Cross LEs? AFAIK, there is the 150th and the Tennis.

There are the 2 recent ones, but i had in mind the lapus lazuli and jade finishes in particular.

There are the 2 recent ones, but i had in mind the lapus lazuli and jade finishes in particular.

Neither are LEs, but next to the 150th, they are the most beautiful of Cross FPs.

I'm not upset by others not having discovered the fact that Cross pens are simply reliable, dependable writers because it keeps the price down. :lol:

Otherwise I could not have afforded the lovely little collection of Townsends I now have in solid silver and rolled gold. OK the gold is a bit 'bling' but at the prices I paid - who cares. They write well. But the silver ones are understated and lovely. :puddle:

Given the low prices and the fact they have some 'user' marks, I'm not afraid to use them as everyday writers.

I always remember Grauco Marx saying he would not join any club that would have him as a member. To my way of thinking, I do not care to impress anyone who could be impressed by what pen I choose :)

There is much more to the enjyment of using proper pens than whether others rate them, but hey, we all know that or we wouldn't be here.

oops - typo

Edited by Chris

I have yet to receive a bad nib in any of my older or current Townsend FPs. I lean towards the Fine nib size for my handwriting, but enjoy the Mediums equally well.

Cross may finally be getting a better handle on their Chinese production quality for some of the current era pens. Not all models, mind you, as others have indicated.

As the Cross Century II was my first fountain pen experience I ordered the common Medium nib. However due to personal use I have found that med to fine nibs suit my writing style more. So I recently changed the nib to a fine and all is well. I love my Cross pens as I use the Century II as my fountain pen and I also use a Cross Tech 4 to cover my other needs in a ball point and pencil all in one design which I love and not very many companies make multiple style In ones either so CROSS was the clear choice for me. I love their quality, design, and warranty. and lastly they write ultra smooth like a dream.

I don't know the Chinese made ones, but my American made Cross are as fine an instrument as any I own. Quite a bargain is how I look at it.

I'm not upset by others not having discovered the fact that Cross pens are simply reliable, dependable writers because it keeps the price down. :lol:

Otherwise I could not have afforded the lovely little collection of Townsends I now have in solid silver and rolled gold. OK the gold is a bit 'bling' but at the prices I paid - who cares. They write well. But the silver ones are understated and lovely. :puddle:

Given the low prices and the fact they have some 'user' marks, I'm not afraid to use them as everyday writers.

I always remember Grauco Marx saying he would not join any club that would have him as a member. To my way of thinking, I do not care to impress anyone who could be impressed by what pen I choose :)

There is much more to the enjyment of using proper pens than whether others rate them, but hey, we all know that or we wouldn't be here.

oops - typo

But, they have. They just don't find this terribly exciting.

I remember when I first saw The Hold Steady at a tiny festival in Scotland. They were amazing, but no-one had heard of them. I bought their first two albums and went to see them in ever-bigger venues. Before I knew it, they were a big deal and discerning rock fans the world over lauded them as Springsteen for the 21st century. Then for some reason I stopped liking them and refused to ascribe authenticity to any records they released after the became popular. Except I didn't, because that'd be a stupid thing to do and the records are still awesome.

I think the same is true here - being a Brit, Parker are seen as the mass-produced, low-quality, unreliable pen because they can be bought in Staples and various other stationary shops the whole country over. I first became attracted to Cross when I saw the deputy head write out my (glowing, obviously) performance review with a black Townsend before I left my previous school. It looked big and chunky, if a little old fashioned for my liking. I was looking for a new pen to start with at my new job, and the Apogee really stood out - I liked its curves, the finish (mine's in sable) and the 18k/750 nib. It writes like a dream and, should I ever have to stop a burglar, I reckon I could club them to death with it, such is its bulk.

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

I was looking for a new pen to start with at my new job, and the Apogee really stood out - I liked its curves, the finish (mine's in sable) and the 18k/750 nib. It writes like a dream and, should I ever have to stop a burglar, I reckon I could club them to death with it, such is its bulk.

The Apogee is a great pen. It was also my first Cross FP. I think it represents an excellent value for money. The finishes it comes in are really high quality (mine is the chrome guilloche finish) and the 18kt nib is great. The nib is very soft and I would even characterize it as flexy/semi-flex. Plus, you can find them for under $200 new.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I like that its under-appreciated.

Makes bidding on them less expensive.

I still need a gray and chrome "original" Century FP.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

The Apogee is a great pen. It was also my first Cross FP. I think it represents an excellent value for money. The finishes it comes in are really high quality (mine is the chrome guilloche finish) and the 18kt nib is great. The nib is very soft and I would even characterize it as flexy/semi-flex. Plus, you can find them for under $200 new.

It really is great, isn't it? I got mine for an absolute steal - mrpen.co.uk (no affiliation) had (possibly still has) the Sable Lacquer and Titian Red finishes for under £60, so about $90 or so. Probably still cheap if you have to ship it over the pond!

The nib is amazing - I can get such line variety with hardly any effort.

Well, while being a relatively good pen, it's problematic in three distinct areas:

The first is the company's decision to go with more production and fabrication in the Far East. Croos pens used to feel handmade, and now they feel mass machined. Quality is still there, but the feeling is long gone.

The second is that they use a proprietary ink cartridges which made it less popular and hard to find.

The third is flooding the market which made it appear as cheap although it's not.

I have several and I enjoy using them. Don't buy the low dollar ones...you'll be disappointed.

Well, while being a relatively good pen, it's problematic in three distinct areas:

The first is the company's decision to go with more production and fabrication in the Far East. Croos pens used to feel handmade, and now they feel mass machined. Quality is still there, but the feeling is long gone.

The second is that they use a proprietary ink cartridges which made it less popular and hard to find.

The third is flooding the market which made it appear as cheap although it's not.

I have several and I enjoy using them. Don't buy the low dollar ones...you'll be disappointed.

I agree that using proprietary cartridges is a ridiculous thing to do.

Amusingly, I find the same issues with place of manufacture arise with another interest of mine - Dr Martens boots. For years, they were made in the same factory in Northamptonshire, then they shipped production over to China and Thailand and their quality and durability took a nosedive. You had to pay more to get the same quality that you got before. That's a shame, but it's also a feature of modern life (and, dare I say it, capitalism) - if governments aren't prepared to subsidise and support manufacturing in their own country, then the big companies are going to look elsewhere for labour.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought the Coventry Cross from Staples (metallic blue). it came with a spare fine nib unit. writes wonderfully!! got it for only$20 American!!

Amusingly, I find the same issues with place of manufacture arise with another interest of mine - Dr Martens boots. For years, they were made in the same factory in Northamptonshire, then they shipped production over to China and Thailand and their quality and durability took a nosedive. You had to pay more to get the same quality that you got before. That's a shame, but it's also a feature of modern life (and, dare I say it, capitalism) - if governments aren't prepared to subsidise and support manufacturing in their own country, then the big companies are going to look elsewhere for labour.

I don't see it as any Feature of capitalism that Any government has to Subsidize Any business for it to succeed. In fact, I'd argue that a subsidy is ANTI-capitalistic.

You actually touched on The Answer but didn't state it quite firmly enough. (IMO)

There are likely ALWAYS going to be Someplace on earth where labor is cheaper than it is in the companies Home country and companies are going to be prone to chase that cheaper labor. (As those countries Change when their citizens start to earn enough such that that country's not the cheapest labor source anymore.)

The REAL crux of exported labor and reduced quality therefrom, is that the companies who've exported their labor seem either unable or unwilling to police that far away from home labor such that the Quality of their product DOESN'T decline with the change in labor.

It appears that Cross has done a better job than most with that policing but there are some reports of even their quality slipping.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I have seen their product in office supply stores. I have felt their product. It just feels cheap. They remind me of "costume" jewelry. Looks gaudy, feels as cheap as it is.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

i know people with disagree me on this point but you ask for it so...

cross are made in china and are from poor quality with the worst nibs ever (hard as nails and even as hammers...) i know some people love them and if they do it's perfect for them but i honnestly consider cross as the worst pen brand and have never considered them as a qualtiy brand...

Edited by Montblanc owner and lover

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

I disagree with your assessment.

First, the hard as nails part really isn't fair as the vast majority of modern nibs are just that. To single Cross out for that is disingenuous.

You paint the entire Cross line made in China with the nasty brush. That's not fair either. I've read that the flagships quality has still mostly been maintained. You may have a slightly taken point perhaps with Cross's lower price pens made in China but still IMO, no worse than with other makers. If I painted say Parker, with the same Modern production brush you have Cross and shunned them for that, I'd miss out on a lot of Wonderful not so modern Parkers.

Your assessment tends to point towards you not having personally written with the best of the best out of Rhode Island when the whole pens were made there. You would be a near lone soldier to feel that Rhode Island made Century Classic I and IIs, Townnsends, Signatures and Pinnacles with American made 14k nibs are not high quality writing instruments.

To say "I don't like Crossi because I don't like all metal, thinner pens.", I would see as a completely sensical position.

Sorry, but I can't see your position as presented, the same way.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Here in the UK we have a few chains of discount stores who buy up various lots of overstock then knock it out at a fraction of the usual street price, the main one I've seen Cross in regularly here is TK Maxx.

I bought a Cross ATX fountain pen and ballpoint set for about £15 there, they're generally £70+ on Amazon and other on-line places where you can usually find the lowest price. The fountain pen didn't feel right to me, it wrote okay, but the clip was flimsy and it generally felt cheap. I resold the set on ebay in as-new, fully packaged gift-boxed condition and I didn't even get my £15 back for it... And that was my first and final experience with Cross pens.