Lamy Studio - Which Version To Get?

thepretender69

Hey everybody

Looking to buy my first brand new pen

A friend has a Lamy Studio which seems to be a really good pen

Did some research and apparently it is one of the best pens for that price

My questions is, what are the differences between the various finishes?

I know the standard one is the cheapest, then the palladium then the platinum

Their price do vary substantially but apart from the finish, are there real differentiations at all?

I wouldn't want to pay an extra $200 for the platinum one which is what I'm looking to if the writing experience is the same as the $150 base model

Looking forward to your opinions

Thanks

Keefe

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• heymatthew

• thepretender69

• Namo

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The finish on any of the colored versions will be similar. It doesn't matter if you go with the red, blue, black, gray... Honestly, aside from paladium or platinum, it's just going to come down to a color preference. I know that the red, black and blue (as well as some of the higher end versions) come with a chrome grip section. The stainless version comes with a black plastic (almost slightly rubberized) grip section which I find more comfortable, personally. You can buy this part from Lamy and add it to any pen so if you hated the chrome, you could always switch later.

Pay attention to the nibs... That's where the real difference comes in. The ~$80USD Studios come with a standard Lamy Steel Nib (same as the one on the Safari/Al-Star, Nexx, etc.). The ~$160USD Studios come with a Gold Nib (sort of a two-tone nib). I've never used one, but they are apparently very nice nibs with just a tiny amount of variation (notice I didn't say "flex"). I had a Lamy gold nib in the Lamy 2000 that I had and it was wonderful. I actually really miss it and hope to pick up another one some day.

If I were going to buy another Studio (I sold mine because I just felt like it was a glorified Safari/Al-Star), I'd get one with a gold nib as it would definitely be set apart from the rest of the cheaper pens in Lamy's lineup (not that they aren't as good, it's just that they ARE as good and it's a waste of money to buy a Studio with that nib when you can get 3 Safaris for the price of the base model and 6 Safaris for the price of the Palladium model... We won't talk about the platinum one... :D).

Hope this is helpful.

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

The finish on any of the colored versions will be similar. It doesn't matter if you go with the red, blue, black, gray... Honestly, aside from paladium or platinum, it's just going to come down to a color preference. I know that the red, black and blue (as well as some of the higher end versions) come with a chrome grip section. The stainless version comes with a black plastic (almost slightly rubberized) grip section which I find more comfortable, personally. You can buy this part from Lamy and add it to any pen so if you hated the chrome, you could always switch later.

Pay attention to the nibs... That's where the real difference comes in. The ~$80USD Studios come with a standard Lamy Steel Nib (same as the one on the Safari/Al-Star, Nexx, etc.). The ~$160USD Studios come with a Gold Nib (sort of a two-tone nib). I've never used one, but they are apparently very nice nibs with just a tiny amount of variation (notice I didn't say "flex"). I had a Lamy gold nib in the Lamy 2000 that I had and it was wonderful. I actually really miss it and hope to pick up another one some day.

If I were going to buy another Studio (I sold mine because I just felt like it was a glorified Safari/Al-Star), I'd get one with a gold nib as it would definitely be set apart from the rest of the cheaper pens in Lamy's lineup (not that they aren't as good, it's just that they ARE as good and it's a waste of money to buy a Studio with that nib when you can get 3 Safaris for the price of the base model and 6 Safaris for the price of the Palladium model... We won't talk about the platinum one... :D).

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for your prompt reply

I think the nib on my friend's is the gold one cause he kept talking about how he got the higher end nib. If it's the same as the one of the 2000, I'm kinda guessing its going to be similar to the MB 32 I have which has a similar design.

So, it seems like the basic finish with a gold nib is the one I should go for. No point getting the fancy palladium or platinum finish since the nibs are the same.

BTW what pens do you have now?

If it's the same as the one of the 2000, I'm kinda guessing its going to be similar to the MB 32 I have which has a similar design.

BTW what pens do you have now?

It's not the same as the one on the 2000. It's a larger nib. It looks the same as the one on the Safari/Al-Star, but it's made of gold instead of steel. It looks just like the standard Lamy nib. But I think it offers a light amount of springiness since it's gold, which the regular steel nibs don't offer.

I have an assortment of pens from Edison, TWSBI, Sailor, Lamy, Pilot and others. I can't love just one. :) I would check around and see if you can find someone that will sell you whichever pen you want and upgrade the nib to the gold version. I personally really like the platinum grey one myself... You can see it here: http://www.gouletpens.com/Lamy_Studio_Platinum_Grey_Fountain_Pen_p/lmy-l68p.htm

Note that the images show it with a single-tone steel nib and a single-tone black steel nib. For some reason, they don't show it with the bi-color gold nib, which it comes with...

It's not the same as the one on the 2000. It's a larger nib. It looks the same as the one on the Safari/Al-Star, but it's made of gold instead of steel. It looks just like the standard Lamy nib. But I think it offers a light amount of springiness since it's gold, which the regular steel nibs don't offer.

I have an assortment of pens from Edison, TWSBI, Sailor, Lamy, Pilot and others. I can't love just one. :) I would check around and see if you can find someone that will sell you whichever pen you want and upgrade the nib to the gold version. I personally really like the platinum grey one myself... You can see it here: http://www.gouletpens.com/Lamy_Studio_Platinum_Grey_Fountain_Pen_p/lmy-l68p.htm

Note that the images show it with a single-tone steel nib and a single-tone black steel nib. For some reason, they don't show it with the bi-color gold nib, which it comes with...

Oops that was a big misunderstanding but I'm sure the gold nib on the Studio must be great.

It's funny I asked people what nib they prefer they, most say a gold nib right away but can't justify why.

Which Pilot pen do you have? I was looking at the Namiki Falcon but eventually decided on a Lamy Studio.

About gold nib on the Studio: it's not better, but certaionly different: softer, with some spring, as the steel one is a nail. It runs a bit wider too. You won't be desapointed with any of these nibs, though, jusrt know what you prefer (I am using the gold one with my Lime Safari, and a steel one with a limited White Pearl Studio...)

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Oops that was a big misunderstanding but I'm sure the gold nib on the Studio must be great.

No worries at all! I probably didn't explain it very well when I compared it to the 2000 (which isn't really comparable other than it has a gold nib).

It's funny I asked people what nib they prefer they, most say a gold nib right away but can't justify why.

I use both gold and steel nibs. I like steel nibs for their stiffness and reliability. They write the same line every time with little to no variation. They're predictable (almost boring), but I like that in a nib sometimes. I like gold nibs because they're a little softer and can offer some line variation. Some nibs offer more than others, but unless it's a flexible nib, it's not going to really "flex". They're just "springy" and offer up a different writing experience. It took me a while to get used to gold nibs as I used to write with a heavy hand and gold nibs aren't particularly well-suited to heavy pressure.

Which Pilot pen do you have? I was looking at the Namiki Falcon but eventually decided on a Lamy Studio.

I have the Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth (solid black) with an F nib. It's an excellent pen that I carry everyday. I had the Falcon, but at the time it was 1 of only a few pens and I needed something more suited to daily writing. The Falcon wasn't it. In hindsight, I wish I had held on to it. I've had other Pilots as well (Custom 74 and Custom 92). I really like their pens, but I don't like any of them as much as my VP...