Masters Of The Fountain Pen

notVirtuThe3rd

Kota-san,

You are our ambassador of Japanese pen craft and tradition, and a most importance contributor to this community.

And with astonishing pleasure I immerse myself into your world, feeling the atmosphere of the surrounding, the excitement, the privilege of being allowed to watch.

It reminds me of being an apprentice so many years ago.

I don't speak Japanese but do understand, maybe because of the inflections, hand movements, the tone of the voice.

So after many viewings, I am left with something that is hard to explain, perhaps a gift in kind for the soul?

When I sit for evening supper with my family, I tell them about Japan, the people I met, the things they do, and of my friend, Kota and his daughter Himawari, who made it all possible.

Thank you again for sharing your craft, your time, your life.

Mark

http://www.maryhatay.com/Mark/Fountain-Pens/Mixed-Pens/i-qv5h3mN/0/O/atramentum%20Digitis%20small.jpg

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• notVirtuThe3rd

• terminal

• wisma46

• inkstick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kota-san,

You are our ambassador of Japanese pen craft and tradition, and a most importance contributor to this community.

And with astonishing pleasure I immerse myself into your world, feeling the atmosphere of the surrounding, the excitement, the privilege of being allowed to watch.

It reminds me of being an apprentice so many years ago.

I don't speak Japanese but do understand, maybe because of the inflections, hand movements, the tone of the voice.

So after many viewings, I am left with something that is hard to explain, perhaps a gift in kind for the soul?

When I sit for evening supper with my family, I tell them about Japan, the people I met, the things they do, and of my friend, Kota and his daughter Himawari, who made it all possible.

Thank you again for sharing your craft, your time, your life.

Mark

Dear Mark,
I have no words to express my thanks to such a hearty message. For me, as you're the first fountain pen craftsman living overseas I've ever met on this forum, I'm deeply moved for your regarding my posts and each video as informative information. Please keep up great work, I already know you're a true professional craftsman, though.
As far as I'm concerned, I'll keep pursuing intense research of Japanese fountain pens as ever. When I notice something new about them, I'll make sure to share it on this forum or this topic. ( I'm wondering I'll opt for the latter option then.) :)
I sincerely hope you'll take good care of yourself.
Best wishes from Japan,
国産万年筆研究家
安達功太 [ Kota Adachi ]

• 1 month later...
Thank you for uploading the new video about Platinum 3776 on your YouTube channel. :notworthy1:

I've just watched it and enjoyed a lot.

Great job! :thumbup:

wisma46

I love these videos! I was lucky enough to visit Mr. Kawakubo during a trip to Japan in August, and hope to explore more the next time I go to Japan. Thank you!

Thank you for uploading the new video about Platinum 3776 on your YouTube channel. :notworthy1:
I've just watched it and enjoyed a lot.
Great job! :thumbup:

Oops, I mean the new video of Platinum is NOT the one above.

Hi wisma46,
Thank you so much for your watching the latest video and prompt response for it. And I feel really glad you often check my YouTube channel. Of course, I know you mean the video below. So, let me say "No problem. That's OK." The video that I've just uploaded today is about the story of product development of Platinum #3776 Century. Anyway, thanks for your posting the quick comment again, wisma46. I'll share it to contribute this thread after a long interval.
Platinum #3776 Century - Story of Product Development -
Best wishes from Japan,
VirtuThe3rd

I love these videos! I was lucky enough to visit Mr. Kawakubo during a trip to Japan in August, and hope to explore more the next time I go to Japan. Thank you!

Hi sugna,

You're more than welcome. Sounds so nice! I hope you'll visit Japan again and get special fountain pens made in Japan next time as well.

Best wishes from Japan,

VirtuThe3rd

Hi wisma46,
Thank you so much for your watching the latest video and prompt response for it. And I feel really glad you often check my YouTube channel. Of course, I know you mean the video below. So, let me say "No problem. That's OK." The video that I've just uploaded today is about the story of product development of Platinum #3776 Century. Anyway, thanks for your posting the quick comment again, wisma46. I'll share it to contribute this thread after a long interval.
Platinum #3776 Century - Story of Product Development -
Best wishes from Japan,
VirtuThe3rd

This is a very interesting video Kota-san. I have always been fascinated by the tiny engineering achievement in these caps by both Platinum and Sailor! Practically all my pens have some leakage into the cap after a few plane flights, but none from the Platinums or Sailors :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

This is a very interesting video Kota-san. I have always been fascinated by the tiny engineering achievement in these caps by both Platinum and Sailor! Practically all my pens have some leakage into the cap after a few plane flights, but none from the Platinums or Sailors :)

Hi stevesurf,

Thank you very much for your watching "Story of Product Development of Platinum #3776 Century fountain pen". I'm glad to hear you said so. I believe fountain pens made in Japan including PILOT are all reliable and highly recommended. Recently, I mainly use Platinum #3776 Century and President. Both of two nibs are wet enough and allow me the smoothest feeling, however, they are Japanese Medium (line width = between European EF and F).

Best wishes from Japan,

VirtuThe3rd

Thanks for this video, it was mesmerizing.

Hi pwnrat,
Thank you so much for your posting the comment. I feel very glad to know these videos were of help to you. The other day, I purchased two Platinum pens with M nibs called "Shine Crystal", letter pad and so on to check the flexibility and wetness of the nib. (I suppose, in many Western countries, people call this pen "Platinum Cool", though.) Both of the two nibs are amazingly soft and flow well like gold nibs. Strictly speaking, this fountain pen is just for beginners, however, to say the least of it, awesomely beautiful, neat and reliable! Worthwhile to buy for daily use. :vbg:
Quick Overview of Platinum "Shine Crystal"
Best wishes from Japan,
Kota Adachi

Thank you very much Kota-san for your generosity, the colossal time and effort you're giving in sharing all of these videos and significant information. I often come back to your thread to read and watch. Not only do I learn so much but It makes me truly appreciate the wonderful writing materials we have come to love and the process and all the excellent people involved behind their creation.

I really must say that it is a pleasure and a joy to watch the videos. Again, thank you.

Thank you very much Kota-san for your generosity, the colossal time and effort you're giving in sharing all of these videos and significant information. I often come back to your thread to read and watch. Not only do I learn so much but It makes me truly appreciate the wonderful writing materials we have come to love and the process and all the excellent people involved behind their creation.
I really must say that it is a pleasure and a joy to watch the videos. Again, thank you.

Hi MathurinKerbouchard,
Thank you so much for your reading this thread and watching each video over again. I'm really glad to know you liked my posts including videos about Japanese fountain pen craftsmen. For the purpose of this thread is to introduce Japanese skilled craftsmen, their detailed work and processes, their products and what is more, "Japan itself" to the world. So, if you feel Japanese atmosphere as well as Japanese quality of pen production, I would be more than happy! :vbg:
Best wishes from Japan,
Kota Adachi

• 1 month later...

Hi Kota,

I just finished watching the whole series that was subtitled by you.

Thank you for giving the world access to a lovingly created documentary on the fountain pen community of Japan.

I have long admiration for Japanese vintage camera designers, it should not surprise me that when it comes to fountain pens, the craftsmen of Japan would be equally dedicated, passionate, and full of care.

I am truly inspired not only by the masters themselves, but also by the very thing that makes the continuing work of these masters possible, that is the support of Japanese people from all walks of life. It seems that in Japan, people still value "expressive writing" as something that is good for the soul. Too many of us to day take this for granted.

So once again, thank you for your effort. I hope you will continue to bring us fountain pen stories from Japan.

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

Hi Kota,

I just finished watching the whole series that was subtitled by you.

Thank you for giving the world access to a lovingly created documentary on the fountain pen community of Japan.

I have long admiration for Japanese vintage camera designers, it should not surprise me that when it comes to fountain pens, the craftsmen of Japan would be equally dedicated, passionate, and full of care.

I am truly inspired not only by the masters themselves, but also by the very thing that makes the continuing work of these masters possible, that is the support of Japanese people from all walks of life. It seems that in Japan, people still value "expressive writing" as something that is good for the soul. Too many of us to day take this for granted.

So once again, thank you for your effort. I hope you will continue to bring us fountain pen stories from Japan.

Hi penwash,
Thank you so much for your watching the whole series of this video. I'm really glad to know you've enjoyed the each video and showed your respect for Japanese craftsmanship, products including "vintage film cameras", and so on. Indeed, let me say thank you again for your watching.
I wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year! :)
Best wishes from Japan,
Kota Adachi

I know a woman who works for the fountain pen company to adjust nibs as a master. Some women engage in the manufacture of ebonite.

Nikko Ebonite Mfg. Co., Ltd.

http://www.nikkoebonite.com/english_site/index.html

That's really cool. I think this is a more male-dominated industry...

I am really sad that Mr. Kato passed away...

Broke

That's really cool. I think this is a more male-dominated industry...

I am really sad that Mr. Kato passed away...

Thank you for the comment. Unfortunately, we Japanese lost one more great craftsman this year. Mr. Nobuyoshi Nagahara, who was famous for making Naginata Nibs passed away on March 11th, 2015. I also feel sad very much...