Masters Of The Fountain Pen

notVirtuThe3rd

Hi Virtu. For someone learning Japanese, taking notes in English and also writing Kanji, would you recommend a Sailor M or a Sailor B nib? I found the Sailor M that I used to be finer than my Pilot Metropolitan M. In other words, would a Sailor B produce a similar line to a Pilot Metropolitan M? I saw your video on Sailor nib sizes which definitely helped but maybe you have used a Pilot and offer some insight?

ありがとうございます!

Edited by Inknoob

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• notVirtuThe3rd

• terminal

• wisma46

• inkstick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Virtu. For someone learning Japanese, taking notes in English and also writing Kanji, would you recommend a Sailor M or a Sailor B nib? I found the Sailor M that I used to be finer than my Pilot Metropolitan M. In other words, would a Sailor B produce a similar line to a Pilot Metropolitan M? I saw your video on Sailor nib sizes which definitely helped but maybe you have used a Pilot and offer some insight?

ありがとうございます!

Hello and thank you for asking me the fine question. If you often write Japanese kanji for your learning, I do recommend a Sailor M nib. Strictly speaking, you should purchase a Sailor M nib as long as you use 6-7mm ruled paper. Incidentally, I always carry around a Sailor M nib for taking notes, writing a journal and so on... On the other hand, a Sailor B nib is best suited for 8-10mm ruled paper. Needless to say, I have ever tried almost every fountain pens and their nibs made in Japan. So, my experience shows that a Pilot Metropolitan M nib is much finer than a Sailor B nib. I would be more than happy to be of service to you. :vbg:
Best
国産万年筆研究家
安達功太 [ Kota Adachi ]

Thank you very much for your answer Virtu, it was very helpful. I have decided to go with the Medium. And also thanks for all your other videos, I've nearly watched them all :).

Do you post your Pro Gear because it is unable to use comfortably unposted? Just curious.

Thank you very much. When, as an artist, I became disenchanted with the technical, or stylographic, pens I was using I researched fountain pens and bought a Sailor Sapporo with a medium nib. No clogging, no blotting, no drama, just flawless performance. Since then I have purchased several other Sailors, the last being a Naginata Sai-bi Togi which I understand has been discontinued by Sailor. What a nib! It draws lines as fine as I want to make with ease. I have fallen in love with Japanese pens, not only because of their peerless nibs, but the beauty and simplicity of their design. Maki-e pens are works of art no doubt, but they seem to me to be collectors items, trophies, which if I had the money I would buy every one. The beauty of the tool, or form follows function, has reached its apotheosis in Nakaya's Dorsal Fin Version two, until of course the next apotheosis.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

Thank you very much. When, as an artist, I became disenchanted with the technical, or stylographic, pens I was using I researched fountain pens and bought a Sailor Sapporo with a medium nib. No clogging, no blotting, no drama, just flawless performance. Since then I have purchased several other Sailors, the last being a Naginata Sai-bi Togi which I understand has been discontinued by Sailor. What a nib! It draws lines as fine as I want to make with ease. I have fallen in love with Japanese pens, not only because of their peerless nibs, but the beauty and simplicity of their design. Maki-e pens are works of art no doubt, but they seem to me to be collectors items, trophies, which if I had the money I would buy every one. The beauty of the tool, or form follows function, has reached its apotheosis in Nakaya's Dorsal Fin Version two, until of course the next apotheosis.

I agree, My personal favorite is the King of Pens, with no metal but the clip. What a pure and simple beauty.

http://www.maryhatay.com/Mark/Fountain-Pens/Mixed-Pens/i-qv5h3mN/0/O/atramentum%20Digitis%20small.jpg

Thanks for the link! The list of places to visit in Japan only seems to grow.

You're welcome, flummoxed. If so, I feel very glad as a Japanese citizen. :)

Thank you very much for your answer Virtu, it was very helpful. I have decided to go with the Medium. And also thanks for all your other videos, I've nearly watched them all :).

Do you post your Pro Gear because it is unable to use comfortably unposted? Just curious.

Hi, inknoob. I'm glad to have been of some help to you. In my case, I almost post my ProGear when I write in my diary or write something, however, I never post it when I take notes quickly. ProGear is able to use comfortably unposted! Don't worry. Really really comfortable if you unpost it. I guarantee that. :thumbup:

Hi, Drawing61. Thank you so much and I feel really happy to see your comment. Quite so! A Japanese fountain pen has no individual variability. I want to add... that is part of what makes Japanese fountain pens this popular in the world. Of course, I do love Naginata nibs as well! Speaking of Maki-e pens, I've ever had Sailor's very nice one - King of Pen ( made from Ebonite ) "Hou-Ou" ( means Phoenix ). I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Hou-Ou is a museum-quality art. If I still had it, I could share it on my YouTube channel. Regrettably, I've already sold it on an online auction.... :headsmack:
Sailor : King of Pen "Hou-Ou"
Anyway, thank you for posting your passional comment. :vbg:
Best wishes from Japan,
国産万年筆研究家
安達功太 [ Kota Adachi ]

I agree, My personal favorite is the King of Pens, with no metal but the clip. What a pure and simple beauty.

I also absolutely agree with you. :)

visit your thread often. To some of us it i a gift I am honored and blessed by this thread friend,

Mike

Thank you so much. Now, I am blessed with excellent friends. I owe everything to the FPN. ;)

I've yet to buy a Sailor pen. I'll do so soon, but I can't decide whether to get a regular 1911 with a Naginata Togi nib or a Realo with a B nib. One part of me says the Realo since I'm tired of cartridge/converter fillers, but part of me says the NT nib because it's unique, but I don't know if I'll use it to its full capability. I'm just a writer, not a lettering artist.

What ink are you using in that video of the NT nib?

Kevar,

First off, Sailor nibs are wonderful and its an exciting prospect to consider a choice from the incredible collection of nib Sailor makes.

I have been using a older 1911 large, with H-MF full size 15K nib (not Naginata Togi) as a daily writer, and must say it brings enjoyment to the mundane.

I will never produce a work of art or completely utilize its potential so its value and justification to me, is in the pleasure it brings.

It feels special, and encourage me to slow down and enjoy writing.

My next Sailor will be a zoom.

Mark

http://www.maryhatay.com/Mark/Fountain-Pens/Mixed-Pens/i-qv5h3mN/0/O/atramentum%20Digitis%20small.jpg

I've yet to buy a Sailor pen. I'll do so soon, but I can't decide whether to get a regular 1911 with a Naginata Togi nib or a Realo with a B nib. One part of me says the Realo since I'm tired of cartridge/converter fillers, but part of me says the NT nib because it's unique, but I don't know if I'll use it to its full capability. I'm just a writer, not a lettering artist.

What ink are you using in that video of the NT nib?

Hello, Kevan. Thanks for asking me. Though this thread is about ( Japanese ) Masters of The Fountain Pen, I'm willing to give you a piece of advice and to answer your question with joy. I think it's a good question indeed while it's a tough question... because this purchase will be your first Sailor. Admittedly, a Naginata-Togi nib is very attractive in distinctive aspect, however, I'm wondering you should go a Realo with a B nib in view of your use. ( Needless to add, there is additional reason. A Naginata-Togi nib is just adjusted for Japanese vertical writing. ) If you write the large amount of words in a day, a Realo has the advantage that there is no need to refill the ink frequently. If I were you, I would purchase a Realo with a B nib. Incidentally, I use Stipula's Green in that video. Just for your reference.
Best wishes from Japan,
VirtuThe3rd
国産万年筆研究家
安達功太 [ Kota Adachi ]