Masters Of The Fountain Pen

notVirtuThe3rd

Hello,

Just wanted to add my thanks to you for bringing these Japanese artisans and their consummate skills to everyone's attentions.

It has been a real joy to watch these mini documentaries.

Not only have I learned a great deal but also added a few place names in Japan I would like to visit some day.

Sterling work.

Hello and sorry for my late reply, GreyPix,
I’ve been very busy with my work since last month.
Thank you for your appreciative words. I'm glad from the bottom of my heart to know you've enjoyed these documentary videos, learned a lot about Japanese craftsmen, and also felt like visiting Japan! Deeply obliged for your interest. :)
Kindest regards,
Kota Adachi

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• notVirtuThe3rd

• terminal

• wisma46

• inkstick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I just spent several days going through this thread and watching every video. Amazing to view the masters at work; I found it very educational and a bit mesmerizing. The amount of care that goes into the work of each respective master is astounding!

Thank you so much for your hard work uploading these videos, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching them!! :happy: :happy: :happy:

I like this video very much as I am a big fan of the Sailor pens. It is amazing that they offer the tuning for all pens; I wish they could visit the United States :)

https://youtu.be/x_4kQy1WaDA

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

I like this video very much as I am a big fan of the Sailor pens. It is amazing that they offer the tuning for all pens; I wish they could visit the United States :)

https://youtu.be/x_4kQy1WaDA

You could always find an excuse to go visit Japan :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGTRLEqh-k0

Here's a half-hour long program on Harumi Tanaka that's different from the (fantastic!) Master's of the Fountain Pen video. It's an interview with Tanaka-san interspersed with footage of him turning pens. I just wish there were English subtitles.

Enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

I'm really glad to see all your additional comments including the post of the fantastic feature program on Harumi Tanaka. Allow me to again thank you for your further contributions to my primary topic, hoping more members of the FPN will begin to take an interest in Japanese fountain pens. :)

Best wishes from Japan,

Kota Adachi

Hi there,
I'm really glad to see all your additional comments including the post of the fantastic feature program on Harumi Tanaka. Allow me to again thank you for your further contributions to my primary topic, hoping more members of the FPN will begin to take an interest in Japanese fountain pens. :)
Best wishes from Japan,
Kota Adachi

You're welcome!

Your channel is by far the best pen-related channel out there. The quality of production is fantastic. The content is fascinating. Thank you so much!

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

You're welcome!

Your channel is by far the best pen-related channel out there. The quality of production is fantastic. The content is fascinating. Thank you so much!

Hi akustyk,
I'm extremely honored to hear that. It's "I" who should thank you! Thank you very much for your watching and having much interest in my YouTube channel. By the way, you know, when I started this thread on 13 September 2013, my daughter Himawari (means Sunflower) was just one month old. But now, she's 2 years old! I really feel the time goes so fast.
Latest Event
Thanks for your watching. :)
Kindest regards,
Kota Adachi

Hi there,

Finally, I've done preparation for uploading the English version of "Japanese Famous

Fountain Pen Craftsmen (Biographies)", which I had once posted on this forum !

This documentary portrays the craftsmen who carry on the legancy of fountain pen

production against a backdrop of detailed work and processes.

From now through the end of this year, I'll upload and introduce 8 master fountain pen

craftsmen one by one : Kiyoshi Kato (Kato Seisakusho Company), Harumi Tanaka (Hakase

Fountain Pens), and Katsumi Kawakubo (Kawakubo Fountain Pens), who use potter's

wheels for fountain pen production ; Hiroyoshi Kubota (Yamada Fountain Pens), master of

delicate ornamentation ; Kohei Kubo (Kubo Workshop), who repairs pen nibs using metal

processing technology ; Katsuhiko Kubo (Nakaya Fountain Pens) and Eizo Fujii (Euro Box),

versatile craftsman able to handle a wide range of repair work ; and Nobuhiko Moriyama

(Fullhalter), a craftsman skilled in the art of adjusting pen nibs to suit the unique writing

styles of their owners.

Incidentally, I'll upload each video at random and at random times on this topic . So, please

check here occasionally for the new episode !

Ultimately, BIOGRAPHIES aims to function as a record of the spirit and techniques behind

the creation, use, and popularization of the fountain pen by featuring the actual voices of

the craftsman and footage of each engrossed in their work.

Plus, this time, I would like to introduce "Additional Chapters" of this video with English

subtitles as well.

The video provides a glimpse into the techniques involved in the creation of fountain pens

and the Japanese craftsmen who carry on the legacy of their production.

The importation of fountain pens into Japan began during the Meiji Period, and their

domestic production became possible during the Taisho Period. The technique of deftly

shaving down a piece of material to create a pen barrel on a tool similar to a potter's

wheel is at the heart of Japanese fountain pen production.

This work follows the entire fountain pen production process, from the fashioning of the

cap and barrel from ebonite, wood, and celluloid and the attachment of the nib and grip to

the adjustment and repair of the nib for the smooth writing of Japanese characters. It also

explores polishing methods ; techniques for long-lasting and breathtaking ornamentation,

repair, all of which have helped support the world of Japanese fountain pens.

Ultimately, the ADDITIONAL CHAPTERS aims to document the modern art of writing with

the exquisite tool that is a fountain pen as well as the spirit and techniques that are

poured into the creation of each and every one one.

If you have an interest in this topic, I'll be really glad as Japanese.

Masters of the Fountain Pen - Nobuhiko Moriyama (Fullhalter) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgBNLm0hQVM

Don't miss the next episode !

国産万年筆愛好家

安達功太 (Kota Adachi)

Beautiful and educational. If I travel to Japan I may consider buying a pen from one of these masters.

"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

http://i.imgur.com/pDbnhCP.jpg

just wishing to chime in along with the already deafening chorus to say "arigatogozaimasu" for your efforts in promoting Japanese pen craftsmanship

found your YT channel long before I found this thread :)

Lifelong Pilot fan (had a whole flock of Birdies) but only recently tried some Platinum... thanks to Preppy and Daiso's offerings. Some day I'm sure I'll cross paths with a Sailor.

Okay, I'm definitely going to have to check out your channel when I get a chance!

Also, congrats on your daughter being 2. I have a son who's also 2, so I know what it's like. :)

Hi friends,

Never have I expected to obtain so many further comments like this, though this thread has already over 30 pages. If there's a member of the FPN who is beginning to read this topic now, please enjoy reading each post and watching every video as much as you want. Many members have posted informative information other than my posts. I bet you'd like it! :vbg:

Thanks again.

Best wishes from Japan,

国産万年筆研究家

安達功太 [ Kota Adachi ]

Hi akustyk,
I'm extremely honored to hear that. It's "I" who should thank you! Thank you very much for your watching and having much interest in my YouTube channel. By the way, you know, when I started this thread on 13 September 2013, my daughter Himawari (means Sunflower) was just one month old. But now, she's 2 years old! I really feel the time goes so fast.
Latest Event
Thanks for your watching. :)
Kindest regards,
Kota Adachi

Kota-san, all the best and congratulations on your daughter's birthday!

I always enjoy each video and it gives me some inspiration to practice my Kanji learning.

I am enjoying now ordering directly from various Rakuten dealers, so I am trying out many different Asian items like inks, Sailor pens, cases and paper.

I hope to someday return to Japan!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Kota-san, all the best and congratulations on your daughter's birthday!

I always enjoy each video and it gives me some inspiration to practice my Kanji learning.

I am enjoying now ordering directly from various Rakuten dealers, so I am trying out many different Asian items like inks, Sailor pens, cases and paper.

I hope to someday return to Japan!

Thank you so much, stevesurf. I'm really happy to see your comment. Even Japanese sometimes forget how to write a particularly abstruse Kanji. You'll become more proficient at Japanese language as long as you enjoy ordering fountain pens from Japanese shops such as Rakuten directly!

I do hope you'll visit Japan again someday in the near future. :D

Your daughter is beautiful! You're doing a great job! Happy Birthday to her (late) :D

It's amazing -- being around a kid is kind of like being around a time traveller. I stay the same but they change every day.

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Your daughter is beautiful! You're doing a great job! Happy Birthday to her (late) :D

It's amazing -- being around a kid is kind of like being around a time traveller. I stay the same but they change every day.

Hi terminal. Thanks for the message to my daughter! Yeah, indeed. I do think a kid is like a time traveler. Even though she couldn't say a certain word clearly yesterday, she can say that very clearly today. It's amazing! Incidentally, my daughter tried to draw a picture of her MOMMY with a crayon yesterday. But, the "MOMMY'S HAIR" in her drawing was just like "MOHICAN", my wife has long straight hair, though. lol

- How to take care of your Montblanc Fountain Pen -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUBj1EEZxeo

Best wishes from Japan,

国産万年筆研究家

安達功太 [ Kota Adachi ]