Masters Of The Fountain Pen

notVirtuThe3rd

Dear Kota,

I watched Master Kohei Kubo straighten nibs over and over until I could see it with my eyes shut, then I tried it myself.

It was beautiful! I was able to use his techniques to straighten the tines with a hammer

The control was amazing, During the straighten one of the tines became just a few fractions of a millimeter longer than the other. so I used the drawing technique you can see him do at 3:45 and with a few strokes, matched up the tines perfectly, No grinding or polishing necessary!

It is a very flexy nib and it hasn’t lost any of its give or spring.

The reason I am posting this it to illustrate the importance of work like this.

My deepest thanks to Master Kubo for sharing

And it also illustrates the quality of the video production. Enough information was included that I could reproduce the technique, As a craftsman, to watch someone’s hands as they work in a language of its own.

So again I must commend on you on your wonderful series. I can’t thank you enough

Mark

Beforehttp://www.maryhatay.com/Mark/Fountain-Pens/Mixed-Pens/i-k8gdGnw/0/X2/nibs%2002-X2.jpg and after

Dear Mark,
How amazing! Have you straightened up the nib only with a hammer? At first glance, I almost didn't recognize the same nib. You must be a careful and master craftsman. To be honest, never have I felt a sense of contentment such like this because you actually absorb Mr. Kubo's techniques and repair the nib as he does. Furthermore, you didn't use any polishing machines to do this! So, now I feel really happy to have shared these videos here until up now. Thank you very much for your telling me the wonderful news with the attached image. Please keep up the great work! :thumbup:
Best wishes from Japan,
国産万年筆研究家
安達功太 [ Kota Adachi ]
Edited by VirtuThe3rd

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• notVirtuThe3rd

• terminal

• wisma46

• inkstick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To set the records straight,

I did polish the body of the nib, but it didn't require more than a buff.

What I meant to say above is, that I didn't need to grind or polish the iridium tip.

M

http://www.maryhatay.com/Mark/Fountain-Pens/Mixed-Pens/i-qv5h3mN/0/O/atramentum%20Digitis%20small.jpg

To set the records straight,

I did polish the body of the nib, but it didn't require more than a buff.

What I meant to say above is, that I didn't need to grind or polish the iridium tip.

M

I see. But, if I were you, I could not do that well... 'cause I'm not as skillful as you.
The nib including the pen point you've repaired is, to say the least of it, really beautiful! :thumbup:
Kota

Oops, sorry, I've just remembered that I have to upload the PROLOGUE part of this video series.

As I have finished doing that, please enjoy watching "Masters of the Fountain Pen" from beginning to end!

Incidentally, if you click the URL below, you can watch the whole DVD video on my YouTube channel very easily. :)

- Masters of the Fountain Pen : PROLOGUE (English) -

- Masters of the Fountain Pen : PROLOGUE (Japanese) -

Please have fun!

Hoping Japanese craftsmanship will be known to fountain pen lovers in the world.

Cheerio B)

Best wishes from Japan,

Kota Adachi

国産万年筆研究家

安達功太

Dear Mark,
How amazing! Have you straightened up the nib only with a hammer? At first glance, I almost didn't recognize the same nib. You must be a careful and master craftsman. To be honest, never have I felt a sense of contentment such like this because you actually absorb Mr. Kubo's techniques and repair the nib as he does. Furthermore, you didn't use any polishing machines to do this! So, now I feel really happy to have shared these videos here until up now. Thank you very much for your telling me the wonderful news with the attached image. Please keep up the great work! :thumbup:
Best wishes from Japan,
国産万年筆研究家
安達功太 [ Kota Adachi ]

Kota-san, thank you very much again for posting these great videos. In your video, Mr. Kubo is an amazing craftsman. He works so efficiently and knows exactly where to strike the nib!

I hope that sometime, FPN will sticky this thread as I always look forward to the education.

Last week, when a few FPN members got together at a sushi restaurant in Las Vegas, Frank C, who has an amazing collection, showed us a collection of similar pens in a single case, with different nibs. It reminded me of your very nice collection in your video here:

https://youtu.be/Nkttvu5xQDQ?t=2m4s

best regards/Steve

Edited by stevesurf

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Kota-san, thank you very much again for posting these great videos. In your video, Mr. Kubo is an amazing craftsman. He works so efficiently and knows exactly where to strike the nib!

I hope that sometime, FPN will sticky this thread as I always look forward to the education.

Last week, when a few FPN members got together at a sushi restaurant in Las Vegas, Frank C, who has an amazing collection, showed us a collection of similar pens in a single case, with different nibs. It reminded me of your very nice collection in your video here:

https://youtu.be/Nkttvu5xQDQ?t=2m4s

best regards/Steve

You're more than welcome, Steve. Yes, indeed. I believe Mr. Kubo is an amazing craftsman in Japan. Did you get together at a SUSHI restaurant in Las Vegas to talk about a fountain pen? That sounds so cool! Once I dropped in at Las Vegas during my trip to America, however, I couldn't find a sushi restaurant at that time. So, after I returned back to San Francisco, I looked for a sushi restaurant and enjoyed having American sushi there. LOL Thank you for your remembering the video of my pen case. (Of course, you can purchase this series of pen case at KINGDOM NOTE online below.) Anyway, I also hope "Masters of the Fountain Pen" will be referred as some kind of education or reference about a fountain pen. :vbg:
MAGGIORE's Pen Case Series at KINGDOM NOTE online
Best wishes from Japan,
Kota Adachi

Ok you are the best Japan embassador. As a Japanese FP fan, this is the best thread in the forums. (And I'm only on the page four)

Thank you.

Pens:

Sheaffer Targa M / Parker 45 M / Sheaffer Imperial M / Parker Arrow

Lamy Vista F / Lamy Safari EF / PELIKAN M400 M Vintage (for sale)

Pilot Custom 74 F / Namiki Falcon SF / Pilot VP M / Pilot Prera / Pilot Metropolitan F M

Sailor Sapporo B / Platinum 3776 BB Stub

Pilot Custom 91 SFM / Pilot Custom 74 Dark Blue B

INSTAGRAM: @carlosoutfocus

Ok you are the best Japan embassador. As a Japanese FP fan, this is the best thread in the forums. (And I'm only on the page four)

Thank you.

Hi Carlos,
Thank you very much for your pleasant compliment to me. :rolleyes:
I'm really glad you've read my thread and watched this video series all up until now.
If there is anything else I can do to be of service, please let me know without hesitation. :)
Have a good weekend,
Kota

Wow! I've noticed your videos before but never really took the time to watch them. I certainly will, now!

Over the last year, I've grown increasingly convinced that my favorite pens will always be of Japanese make (I love my Pilots dearly!). Simply put, I find they have the smoothest yet finest nibs I've ever had. (I do enjoy my Lamy as well but it's nowhere near as fine as a Japanese nib)

With the addition of subtitles, I am all the more eager to watch the entire series! Thank you very much for posting these videos and I can't wait to binge watch the whole set :D

Kind regrads,

Dimitry

"La charité du sage le pousse parfois à paraitre ému, fâché ou réjoui afin de ne pas blesser son entourage
par la froideur et la lucidité de sa vraie nature."

http://i45.tinypic.com/ekoyc.jpg

Wow! I've noticed your videos before but never really took the time to watch them. I certainly will, now!

Over the last year, I've grown increasingly convinced that my favorite pens will always be of Japanese make (I love my Pilots dearly!). Simply put, I find they have the smoothest yet finest nibs I've ever had. (I do enjoy my Lamy as well but it's nowhere near as fine as a Japanese nib)

With the addition of subtitles, I am all the more eager to watch the entire series! Thank you very much for posting these videos and I can't wait to binge watch the whole set :D

Kind regrads,

Dimitry

Hi Dimitry,
Thank you very much for the comments. I feel really glad to know you're interested in a Japanese fountain pen and you ACTUALLY use Pilots! The nibs of three major brands of Japan - Pilot, Sailor, and Platinum - are much smoother than those of any other fountain pen brands in the world, I believe. This is not an exaggerated opinion. I do be convinced by my long experience. I hope more and more people will become interested in these Japanese brands through the videos. ;)
Please enjoy watching all videos via my YouTube Playlist.
Best wishes from Japan,
Kota Adachi
国産万年筆研究家
安達功太

You are so kind to do this!!!!! It must have been a great deal of work. This is just wonderful. I enjoy many of the Japanese arts. In fact, I was invited to study Ceramics there in my youth. I especially LOVE Japanese fountain pens!

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

Hi Dimitry,

Thank you very much for the comments. I feel really glad to know you're interested in a Japanese fountain pen and you ACTUALLY use Pilots! The nibs of three major brands of Japan - Pilot, Sailor, and Platinum - are much smoother than those of any other fountain pen brands in the world, I believe. This is not an exaggerated opinion. I do be convinced by my long experience. I hope more and more people will become interested in these Japanese brands through the videos. ;)

Best wishes from Japan,

Kota Adachi

国産万年筆研究家

安達功太

Couldn't agree more on the smoothness of Japanese nibs. That's why I'm such a big fan.

Edited by httpmom

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

I'm a sailor and love them, Their nibs are not just smooth but also responsive. I will bare down and leave a thick trail of ink, like for a signartrue, Or flip it upside down and use it for really small notation, The ink delivery is brilliant, always right! Sometimes I think that the nibs distract from the rest of the pen, but they are practically perfect in every way too. My Realo with fine semi flex it my daily work-horse pen, I have a few others, King pro, 1911 full size, All work perfectly.

My dream pen would a King of Pens, and I don't even dear dream of a Maki-E

Three cheers for the Japanese pen makers,

Mark

http://www.maryhatay.com/Mark/Fountain-Pens/Mixed-Pens/i-qv5h3mN/0/O/atramentum%20Digitis%20small.jpg

Signed up just to give thanks for this series of videos (been lurking on FPN for months and I've watched most of the videos in this thread). I really enjoyed the videos, especially the ones showing the process that handmade pens go through (I've read about Hakase here and there, and it was really interesting to see the master artisan at work. It is amazing how something handcrafted liao that can achieve such a perfect fit). Also love the video on nib repair process. Very interesting. I never knew what re-tipping entailed until I stumbled onto this thread.

I started off with western made fountain pens, but eventually found my way to Japanese pens for their extremely fine and yet still smooth nibs (I'm mostly a pilot user, but the variety of Sailor nibs are so very intriguing as well).

Once again, thank you for your effort in the video series.

Couldn't agree more on the smoothness of Japanese nibs. That's why I'm such a big fan.

Hi httpmom,
Thank you so much for the comment.
I hope you'll keep trying more Japanese nibs and enjoy writing with them! :)
Have a wonderful weekend,
Kota Adachi

I'm a sailor and love them, Their nibs are not just smooth but also responsive. I will bare down and leave a thick trail of ink, like for a signartrue, Or flip it upside down and use it for really small notation, The ink delivery is brilliant, always right! Sometimes I think that the nibs distract from the rest of the pen, but they are practically perfect in every way too. My Realo with fine semi flex it my daily work-horse pen, I have a few others, King pro, 1911 full size, All work perfectly.

My dream pen would a King of Pens, and I don't even dear dream of a Maki-E

Three cheers for the Japanese pen makers,

Mark

Hi Mark,
I'm greatly honored to hear that as a Japanese citizen. Absolutely! I also think the nibs of 1911 and KOP are amazingly perfect. Plus, the Sailor's pen feed has a great reputation for its quality. So, it's no wonder you feel the ink delivery is awesomely brilliant. Incidentally, my daily work-horse pens are Professional Gear with M nib and 1911 Large with M nib. They always allow me the smoothest feeling.
Anyway, thank you very much for your posting the delightful comments again. :vbg:
Have a good weekend,
Kota Adachi

Signed up just to give thanks for this series of videos (been lurking on FPN for months and I've watched most of the videos in this thread). I really enjoyed the videos, especially the ones showing the process that handmade pens go through (I've read about Hakase here and there, and it was really interesting to see the master artisan at work. It is amazing how something handcrafted liao that can achieve such a perfect fit). Also love the video on nib repair process. Very interesting. I never knew what re-tipping entailed until I stumbled onto this thread.

I started off with western made fountain pens, but eventually found my way to Japanese pens for their extremely fine and yet still smooth nibs (I'm mostly a pilot user, but the variety of Sailor nibs are so very intriguing as well).

Once again, thank you for your effort in the video series.

Hi Iollan,
I'm really glad to know you've already found this thread and enjoyed watching this video series until now. And, I have to say "thank you" for your signing up to give me the comments, your considerable interests in Japanese fountain pens, and your deeply understanding to their craftsmanship.
If there is anything else I can do to be of help, please let me know without hesitation. :)
Have a good weekend,
Kota Adachi

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Just wanted to add my thanks to you for bringing these Japanese artisans and their consummate skills to everyone's attentions.

It has been a real joy to watch these mini documentaries.

Not only have I learned a great deal but also added a few place names in Japan I would like to visit some day.

Sterling work.

Hello,

Just wanted to add my thanks to you for bringing these Japanese artisans and their consummate skills to everyone's attentions.

Not only have I learned a great deal but also added a few place names in Japan I would like to visit some day.

Sterling work.

+1

Hello,

Sterling work.

+1