Masters Of The Fountain Pen

notVirtuThe3rd

I've never been to either of Virtu's suggestions, but Itoya in Ginza has always been incredibly accommodating to me in English...

Good point. Itoya is famous enough.

It's the most biggest and famous stationery shop in Japan.

If I suggest Itoya to him (and to all readers on this thread), it must be reminiscent of a Japanese travel guide book. Basically Japanese guide book is for people from abroad, but this time, I dared to suggest those two shops to him as a native Japanese. :)

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• notVirtuThe3rd

• terminal

• wisma46

• inkstick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good point. Itoya is famous enough.

It's the most biggest and famous stationery shop in Japan.

If I suggest Itoya to him (and to all readers on this thread), it must be reminiscent of a Japanese travel guide book. Basically Japanese guide book is for people from abroad, but this time, I dared to suggest those two shops to him as a native Japanese. :)

And that is why next time I am in Japan, I will only go to Itoya AFTER I've been to both of your recommendations! :thumbup:

Too many pens; too little writing.

Thank you for the awesome videos. It is a treat to see these masters in action. As suggested in one of the replies, they should be declared National Treasures, if they are not already.

I have seen most of the videos (those with English subtitles) and will be back to see the others soon. Hard to believe I stumbled upon this thread while searching for posts on my first Iroshizuku ink - the Kiri-same - but I'm glad I did. The information related to pens, stores and notebooks is very detailed and that is helpful; as are the glimpses into Japanese culture.

I have been, and continue to be, amazed by the Japanese philosophy of keeping things simple and fully functional while ensuring painstaking attention to detail. I believe it is this approach that reflects in the quality of the products.

Thanks again, and hope to see many more videos in future.

EDIT: Edited for a grammatical error.

Edited by Sudhir

Fountain pen geek, bibliophile, aspiring audiophile.

Love Single Malt, Coffee, Beer.

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

Follow me on Instagram @thepenperson

Follow me on Twitter @thepenperson

Thank you for the awesome videos. It is a treat to see these masters in action. As suggested in one of the replies, they should be declared National Treasures, if they are not already.

I have seen most of the videos (those with English subtitles) and will be back to see the others soon. Hard to believe I stumbled upon this thread while searching for posts on my first Iroshizuku ink - the Kiri-same - but I'm glad I did. The information related to pens, stores and notebooks is very detailed and that is helpful; as are the glimpses into Japanese culture.

I have been, and continue to be, amazed by the Japanese philosophy of keeping things simple and fully functional while ensuring painstaking attention to detail. I believe it is this approach that reflects in the quality of the products.

Thanks again, and hope to see many more videos in future.

EDIT: Edited for a grammatical error.

Hi Sudhir! Thank you soooo much for your kind words. Nothing makes me happier to hear that. If you are interested in Japanese paper, you should go to see the website below.

- MASUYA (English) -

http://www.asakusa-masuya.co.jp/english.html

Especially, "No.105" is my favorite manuscript paper. I always carry it around. And, most fountain pen users in Japan know "MONOKAKI notebook" because of its premium quality. Anyway, MASUYA offers higher quality paper just for fountain pen writing! :)

Edited by VirtuThe3rd

Haha I have to say Virtu, for some reason that last pix, with the graph paper, just strikes me as really awesome. I don't know quite why even, but nice one :D

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Haha I have to say Virtu, for some reason that last pix, with the graph paper, just strikes me as really awesome. I don't know quite why even, but nice one :D

Two more pictures. This is Masuya's manuscript paper No.102. :)

Thank you very much for telling me the nice shops.

Mr. Virtu, you're an ambassador of Japanese fountain pen!

arigato :notworthy1:

Thank you, your words are much appreciated.

Kota, this is a great treasure trove of information. Thank you so much for providing these fantastic videos and the Masuya website.

Kota, this is a great treasure trove of information. Thank you so much for providing these fantastic videos and the Masuya website.

Welcome to my topic, betweenthelens!

I'm really glad you've enjoyed my videos.

Stay in touch,

Kota

From Japan

Thanks, Mr. Mihune. lol I'll keep uploading the videos about fountain pens. Incidentally, I'm a BIG fan of actor Toshiro Mihune. Would you like to ask me to choose which Kurosawa film is the best? I can't choose it because almost all his films are masterpieces, I believe!!

- Yojimbo (1961) -

Yojimbo is awesome. But my favourite is Red Beard. Followed by Seven Samurai.

Yojimbo is awesome. But my favourite is Red Beard. Followed by Seven Samurai.

I think Red Beard (赤ひげ) and Seven Samurai (七人の侍) are awesome as well. Esp, Seven Samurai is one of the most impressive movies for me. ...So many words come to my mind in describing Akira Kurosawa's epic action drama "Seven Samurai". This is filmmaking at its very best. I think this is an expertly crafted film that is grand in scope and delivers the ultimate viewing experience for the many movie fans.

My favorite Kurosawa is Ran.

Thank you very much for the comment about Kurosawa's works. :)

Incidentally, Mifune's daughter Mika Mifune is a famous actress in Japan.

Dreams was another later film of Kurosawa's that I enjoyed. If I remember correctly, it was a series of shorts. What a master of cinema he was.

Dreams was another later film of Kurosawa's that I enjoyed. If I remember correctly, it was a series of shorts. What a master of cinema he was.

I forgot about Dreams. Odd but quite good. One of Kurosawa's little gems is Ikuru. An amazing little film about a Tokyo bureaucrat who finds out he is going to die and begins engaging in acts of compassion and generosity in order to provide his life with some meaning by serving others. I loved it.

I think Red Beard (赤ひげ) and Seven Samurai (七人の侍) are awesome as well. Esp, Seven Samurai is one of the most impressive movies for me. ...So many words come to my mind in describing Akira Kurosawa's epic action drama "Seven Samurai". This is filmmaking at its very best. I think this is an expertly crafted film that is grand in scope and delivers the ultimate viewing experience for the many movie fans.

I think I've watched my copy at least a dozen times... :) .