An Inexpensive Case For Carrying Pens Around

PatientType

Fountain Pen users like choices. There are a dizzying number of pen types and models. There is every conceivable color of ink.

A few years ago, as a fountain pen newbie, I tried to figure out what would be the best product for transporting pens in my pocket. I'm very careful when I take high value pens out of the house. Sticking a $300 fountain pen loose into a shirt pocket would be out of the question. Were it to dislodge and land on a sidewalk or brush against something, the pen or the clip could be damaged or scuffed up. That would, of course, detract from the beauty and value of the pen.

So I started looking for pen cases and wraps. There were dozens of types and brands from which to choose. The wraps were beautiful and some were hand-made and unique. There were lots of choices for leather and fabric cases holding from one to six pens. Some had one or more pen pockets, others used elastic loops to secure the pens. Some were ersatz leather or fabric, some were real leather or, at the higher end, various premium and decorated leathers. Ultimately, I bought a fairly low-end leather case that looked something like this thinking it would serve for the moment and I could always trade up later:

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m326/PatientType/3pencase_zpsee31410a.jpg

It holds three pens, has a fold-over cover, and is somewhat stiff because the leather on the back of the pen holder is double the thickness of the pen pockets and because the sewn seams on three sides provide attitional support. It is esthetically simple but attractive enough for my tastes. It seems to be convenient for all kinds of pen transport when one just needs a few pens at hand.

The pen count is large enought that I can take three inked pens on a trip and have ample writing capacity and a variety of pen types. The count is small enough that the case fits into a pants pocket or the inside pocket of a suit coat. Each pen is encased in its own sleeve so there can be no pen to pen rubbing or contact. Accessing the pens is very quick and all pens are displayed and available with a flip of the cover. Lastly, there are no metal or hard plastic componants that might damage my pens.

A benefit I'd not anticipated in buying the case was that there is an advantage to the stiffness of it. When I carry pens in my pants pocket I will stand, walk about or sit in a car or at a table. A softer case would put pressure on the fountain pens as my body position changed. With this kind of a case, the pressure is on my pants pocket and the pens are protected.

This kind of case might not be for everyone. But it seems to do the job very well at at a cost of around $15 to $25 I've had three years of fairly regular use and the case still looks new. Pen cases of similar design are made by prestigious companies and sometimes beautifully decorated with scrolling or other enhancements for a higher price. I'll not be trading up. The case I have does what I need. I'd recommend this kind of solution over a pen wrap or less-substantial pen case based on my own experience.

Edited by PatientType

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tanzanite

• PatientType

• whoelse

• Dr_P

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Long reign the House of Belmont.

The double is quite traditional, designed for sets, pen and matching pencil. Probably most popular during the second world war era. I have army (brown leather) Monroe and Waterman sets, (white leather) nurses sets and a (blue leather RCAF) set with blue vacumatics. The ads of the day called them service sets. They also could be put in a shirt pocket and not protrude, a military no no, that other makers also answered by 'military' clips.

Fountain Pen users like choices. There are a dizzying number of pen types and models. There is every conceivable color of ink.

A few years ago, as a fountain pen newbie, I tried to figure out what would be the best product for transporting pens in my pocket....

Thanks for the review. I was eyeing these cases for a while and wasn't sure about their durability.

I like the Dollar Store eyeglass cases and a piece of bubble wrap.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• 4 weeks later...

I use hard eyeglass cases. It keeps my pens from getting scratched or banged up. I carry my pens in a hard shell eyeglass case or cigar case.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41diqKkJA%2BL.jpg

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/images/large/TH03.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

A few years ago, as a fountain pen newbie, I tried to figure out what would be the best product for transporting pens in my pocket. I'm very careful when I take high value pens out of the house. Sticking a $300 fountain pen loose into a shirt pocket would be out of the question. Were it to dislodge and land on a sidewalk or brush against something, the pen or the clip could be damaged or scuffed up. That would, of course, detract from the beauty and value of the pen.

So I started looking for pen cases and wraps. There were dozens of types and brands from which to choose. The wraps were beautiful and some were hand-made and unique. There were lots of choices for leather and fabric cases holding from one to six pens. Some had one or more pen pockets, others used elastic loops to secure the pens. Some were ersatz leather or fabric, some were real leather or, at the higher end, various premium and decorated leathers. Ultimately, I bought a fairly low-end leather case that looked something like this thinking it would serve for the moment and I could always trade up later:

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m326/PatientType/3pencase_zpsee31410a.jpg

It holds three pens, has a fold-over cover, and is somewhat stiff because the leather on the back of the pen holder is double the thickness of the pen pockets and because the sewn seams on three sides provide attitional support. It is esthetically simple but attractive enough for my tastes. It seems to be convenient for all kinds of pen transport when one just needs a few pens at hand.

The pen count is large enought that I can take three inked pens on a trip and have ample writing capacity and a variety of pen types. The count is small enough that the case fits into a pants pocket or the inside pocket of a suit coat. Each pen is encased in its own sleeve so there can be no pen to pen rubbing or contact. Accessing the pens is very quick and all pens are displayed and available with a flip of the cover. Lastly, there are no metal or hard plastic componants that might damage my pens.

A benefit I'd not anticipated in buying the case was that there is an advantage to the stiffness of it. When I carry pens in my pants pocket I will stand, walk about or sit in a car or at a table. A softer case would put pressure on the fountain pens as my body position changed. With this kind of a case, the pressure is on my pants pocket and the pens are protected.

This kind of case might not be for everyone. But it seems to do the job very well at at a cost of around $15 to $25 I've had three years of fairly regular use and the case still looks new. Pen cases of similar design are made by prestigious companies and sometimes beautifully decorated with scrolling or other enhancements for a higher price. I'll not be trading up. The case I have does what I need. I'd recommend this kind of solution over a pen wrap or less-substantial pen case based on my own experience.

so where did you get this case?

Under the Mercy

Usually less than $10, I like neoprene graphing calculator cases. There's a clip to keep it upright inside my purse or backpack, a pocket for my glasses, and inside the velcro enclosure is room enough for 6-8 pens, fewer if you have them inside another case.

like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Graphing-Calculator-Case-/261300928191?pt=Calculators&hash=item3cd6bfbebf

I got my last one at back-to-school sale for $4.

Much Love--Virginia

I'm going to be the odd man out.

The Chrome Utility bag is PERFECT for me. Its water proof, fits all of my pens, and has a little tag with their symbol on it. I put all of my pens in the case so that the nib is faceing up with the symbol, and make sure to keep the bag correctly stowed in my backpack. Its a great, cheap case.

Link: http://www.chromeindustries.com/us/en/accessories/accessory-pouches/utility-pouch-small

Tom

A key function of a well-crafted pen case is the internal flap or tube that prevents (one's more precious) pens from touching each other, scratching or abrading.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

so where did you get this case?

I bought mine on Ebay. It was a new case from a dealer and was around $20 as I recall. I've seen similar cases for about $4 less or more. The one I bought was real leather in a saddle color.

• 2 weeks later...

This looks like the pen cases offered by Rosetta Pen in Chicago; I know they also list on Amazon. Their website is:

http://www.rosettausa.com/

I have several -- reported on them in the Marketplace forum (which began a bit of discussion about the fact the Rosetta cases have an outer wear layer that is polyurethane).

They are pretty cheap though -- a 4 slot for under $20!

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

I like the Rosetta Pen pouches myself. I have the single ones and they work great. Unfortunately the dog likes them too and chewed one...

<p><span style="font-size:18px;">"And the final score is No TARDIS, no screwdriver, two minutes to spare. Who da Man!?! (long silence) I am never saying that again. Fine."- The Doctor </span>

post-22021-0-76975800-1383250083.jpgpost-22021-0-12736100-1383250098.jpgI got this case a few months ago on eBay from seller "combinedshipping" for less than $15.00. I carry a tote, so this works great for me. It carries 12 pens and if it's not real leather, it sure looks and feels like it. That price included shipping.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

• 3 weeks later...

This is my favourite and I always carry it with me. It is made of soft leather and fake suede and is surprisingly inexpensive. I found it at a lokal bookstore. It comes from Baier & Schneider.

post-108304-0-82696700-1385065738_thumb.jpg

This is my favourite and I always carry it with me. It is made of soft leather and fake suede and is surprisingly inexpensive. I found it at a lokal bookstore. It comes from Baier & Schneider.

Nice, how much? Where did you get it?

I like the Rosetta Pen pouches myself.... Unfortunately the dog likes them too and chewed one...

I hope you managed to take the pen out in time :)

Nice, how much? Where did you get it?

It cost about 16€ and i bought it at a bookshop in Sweden. It is part of the Style collection and more info can be found at brunnen.com