I'm really liking the look of the new colours, I'll probably add the burgundy to go with my amber :-)

One question(or request?) I have is about the nib sizes of the parson's essential, as every manufacturers italic and stub nibs vary seeing a writing comparison of them would be really helpful.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pjford

• TSherbs

• Harlequin

• jordanjay29

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm really liking the look of the new colours, I'll probably add the burgundy to go with my amber :-)

One question(or request?) I have is about the nib sizes of the parson's essential, as every manufacturers italic and stub nibs vary seeing a writing comparison of them would be really helpful.

I'd like to see that as well, I have a PE with the medium italic, very smooth but I would love to see if someone has a medium stub and a sample from it.

I'd like to see that as well, I have a PE with the medium italic, very smooth but I would love to see if someone has a medium stub and a sample from it.

My question was answered in another thread, link included here for completeness in case anyone reads this.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/239024-the-parsons-essential/

Rather excited, I have a Captains Commission, c/w italic broad nib, on the way to me as a fiftieth birthbay present from Mrs L. I have some reservations about laquered (painted) metal pens but I just fell in love with the looks of this and I've wanted to try an Italix fountain pen for a few years now. The positive comments in this thread swung the arguement to go for it.

ps. This is my first post on the FPN for a couple of years I think, not sure what I've been doing, life and all that huh?

It's arrived, so what do I think? I've never done a review of a pen before but here's my own mini review of the Captains Commission by Italix;

1) Looks. For a pen that contradicts my normal taste in fountain pens so totally, I'm amazed. I'm not keen on lacquered or painted metal as a rule or two colour pens i.e.. shiny metal caps and coloured barrels but this looks so, so good, even better in reality than in the pictures.

2) Feel. Yes, it's a little top heavy with the cap posted but I have reasonably large hands and for the couple of sides of A4 I've written already, I find no stress or ache, in fact holding the section high up as I tend to, I rather like balance overall.

3) Quality. I can honestly say (especially in this price bracket), I really cannot fault it. In fact, resting in my hand, turning it around, so the lovely chrome plated, engine turned cap catches the light, it simply shouts quality (no not shouts, speaks firmly in a calm voice one cannot ignore, it is the Captains Commission after all). Both the screw cap and barrel are immaculately finished and the generously sized nib perfectly aligned with the feed. Inside the barrel is a very decent sized Schimdt converter and the sprung clip on the cap looks and feels as if it would stand up to some serious use.

4) Performance. I have read one or two comments to the effect that Italix pens write a little on the dry side, not this one, the ink flow is perfect (filled with Diamine Ink btw) and this is feeding a broad italic nib, that just glides across the paper. A testament to the person doing the grinding having a deep understanding of pens and nibs. So as with quality, I really cannot fault it.

5) Value for money. I've loved and used fountain pens for more than forty years and like many on this forum, I have, shall we just say a few.... This is undoubtedly the best new pen I have ever bought for this price, undercutting my beloved but alas no longer available Sigma Style by at least ten pounds, although the Sigma did come with the plus point of resin rather than metal cap and barrel. The Captains Commission is punching way above it's (not inconsiderable) weight.

Sum up. Well I'm not going to say ten out of ten but that's actually me being churlish because I normally, as said, I'm not a lover of metal pens and yes perhaps it's a wee bit top heavy, so nine and half out of ten.... but believe me, it's blooming brilliant!

It's arrived, so what do I think? I've never done a review of a pen before but here's my own mini review of the Captains Commission by Italix;

1) Looks. For a pen that contradicts my normal taste in fountain pens so totally, I'm amazed. I'm not keen on lacquered or painted metal as a rule or two colour pens i.e.. shiny metal caps and coloured barrels but this looks so, so good, even better in reality than in the pictures.

2) Feel. Yes, it's a little top heavy with the cap posted but I have reasonably large hands and for the couple of sides of A4 I've written already, I find no stress or ache, in fact holding the section high up as I tend to, I rather like balance overall.

3) Quality. I can honestly say (especially in this price bracket), I really cannot fault it. In fact, resting in my hand, turning it around, so the lovely chrome plated, engine turned cap catches the light, it simply shouts quality (no not shouts, speaks firmly in a calm voice one cannot ignore, it is the Captains Commission after all). Both the screw cap and barrel are immaculately finished and the generously sized nib perfectly aligned with the feed. Inside the barrel is a very decent sized Schimdt converter and the sprung clip on the cap looks and feels as if it would stand up to some serious use.

4) Performance. I have read one or two comments to the effect that Italix pens write a little on the dry side, not this one, the ink flow is perfect (filled with Diamine Ink btw) and this is feeding a broad italic nib, that just glides across the paper. A testament to the person doing the grinding having a deep understanding of pens and nibs. So as with quality, I really cannot fault it.

5) Value for money. I've loved and used fountain pens for more than forty years and like many on this forum, I have, shall we just say a few.... This is undoubtedly the best new pen I have ever bought for this price, undercutting my beloved but alas no longer available Sigma Style by at least ten pounds, although the Sigma did come with the plus point of resin rather than metal cap and barrel. The Captains Commission is punching way above it's (not inconsiderable) weight.

Sum up. Well I'm not going to say ten out of ten but that's actually me being churlish because I normally, as said, I'm not a lover of metal pens and yes perhaps it's a wee bit top heavy, so nine and half out of ten.... but believe me, it's blooming brilliant!

What a terrific review, thank you. MrPen

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

Those look great! Would it be possible to get a bigger picture, Mr. Ford? The marbling in the design is rather hard to see is why I ask.

Incidentally, here is the picture of the new pens, for everyone to check out:

http://www.mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/t_green%20and%20burgundy.jpg

There is no marbling these are plain polished lacquer.

Our stock is due, on time on Monday the 2nd of December. We will dispatch all the orders over Monday and Tuesday. Thank you for all your support on the new additional colours of the Parson's. MrPen

Our stock is due, on time on Monday the 2nd of December. We will dispatch all the orders over Monday and Tuesday. Thank you for all your support on the new additional colours of the Parson's. MrPen

Great! Can't wait for my burgundy PE :)

Verba volant, scripta manent

Great, I ordered a Burgundy PE with Medium Cursive Stub a couple of days ago after sitting on the fence for a while ( :unsure: ) and now I am looking forward to getting it. Since I can really only afford one order this month I have mixed up a batch of Montblanc Deep Dark Burgundy (my special brew) in anticipation.

Waiting for the mail from London – Again!

I already own, use every day, and love my Italix Captain’s Commission and Italix Originalis fountain pens. Certainly, with these two pens I don’t need another fountain pen. So, why did I order the Parson’s Essential today? Trying to convince myself that I have a good reason for this purchase, the only excuse I can find is that: I’ll be Happier with it than without it! I guess that will just have to do.

Edited by Beethoven

My new Burgundy Parson's Essential has arrived. It has a beautiful finish with a subtle lustre to the lacquer finish. It's gorgeous.

Here's a pic. I've focused on the barrel rather than the nib to try to show the colour. Apols for quality, used my phone camera.

Agree. It is gorgeous! Which nib did you get?

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Agree. It is gorgeous! Which nib did you get?

I got a conventional Fine as I already have 3 other P.E.s with cursive stub and italic nibs.

Wow, like I really needed to be introduced to another pen. I see a number of folks from the U.S. have ordered these. I may have to give one of these a try. Love that burgundy Essential!

Hi everyone, all the back orders for the Green and Burgundy are now completed. Thank you for your patience. MrPen

Good to receive a shipping notice. I hope that one of you folks in the UK who will get your pens very soon can post some pics for those of us who have to wait for international shipping to deliver our pens.

Good to receive a shipping notice. I hope that one of you folks in the UK who will get your pens very soon can post some pics for those of us who have to wait for international shipping to deliver our pens.

I posted a pic in this thread (above at 4 Dec 10.53)

I posted a pic in this thread (above at 4 Dec 10.53)

Doh! I didn't scroll up before I posted. :-(

Thanks for your picture, looks nice, can't wait to see mine when it arrives to join it's Amber sibling.