New Platignum Nib Section

Geordielass

First off, I hope that this is in the right part of the forums.

For the last 4 years I've had a Platignum FP with a hooded nib (my memory, unreliable as it is, tells me it was a No. 4 (or maybe No. 5) but I could be wrong) as an "everyday" pen and I have really enjoyed using it - decent writer, metal body, nice "rubbery" grip, smart look (it's a white one with black detailing) overall it's been great value for money. It has sat inkless for a month or so while I sorted myself out getting cartridges (the only downside of the pen has to be that it's proprietary cartridges only, and that the cartridges aren't common enough to just grab a pack at the supermarket). New ones finally arrived yesterday, so I quickly flushed the nib, discovering that, yes, I had been lazy and left it all inky and so I left it soaking for an hour. Picked the nib out of the water and a tiny piece of plastic fell out (no I hadn't used boiling water or anything like that - blood temperature water and a tiny drop of fairy liquid was all). Turns out it was the tip of the feed that would pierce the end of a cartridge. I can replace the whole pen for around £10, but as I have a matching rollerball, and the pen looks brand new, I don't really want to, I just need a new nib section (or possibly just a new feed, though I'm wary of that, with it being hooded, scared if I try to take it apart I'll just break the whole thing). I'd definitely rather have the hooded version of the section, but the new version of this pen (the Platignum Studio - identical but for the nib) isn't hooded, so I haven't got my heart set on a hooded one.

I know it's just as inexpensive, but not as common as a Lamy Safari or a Parker Vector, and if it was there would be tons of people on here who could tell me where to go for parts, but I was hoping there might still be someone who would know abou them. It may be a "low-end" pen, but I like it, which is, after all, what matters! Can anyone please help?

I'll contact Platignum as well, but they don't sell any pens themselves, so I don't think they would be able to sell me parts, but they should be able to direct me to someone who stocks them - if anyone does. However, if other instances of contacting manufacturers directly, they will suggest that I buy a whole new pen instead of just a part. Of course it is a £10-12 pen, so there is a certain logic to regarding it as semi-disposable, but I don't like to think of any fountain pen (except for the ones made that way) as something to just be thrown away.

Edit: NB - :headsmack: Duh! I finally thought to google for images and it definitely is not a No. 4, but a No. 5 with the hooded version of the nib.

Edited by Geordielass

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Blue Knight

• Geordielass

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had a little look on ebay and Amazon for you but I can find the versions with plastic hooded nibs but I can the metal. The feed perhaps could be made of 2 separate parts. I would try and simply put them back together myself. Also most pens normally have some sort of warranty with them so you maybe able to claim it on that.

From my experience standard international carts do work in platignum pens. If you have no luck with getting fixed check out amazon they have a wide range of Platignums for quite cheap.

I just had a little look on ebay and Amazon for you but I can find the versions with plastic hooded nibs but I can the metal. The feed perhaps could be made of 2 separate parts. I would try and simply put them back together myself. Also most pens normally have some sort of warranty with them so you maybe able to claim it on that.

From my experience standard international carts do work in platignum pens. If you have no luck with getting fixed check out amazon they have a wide range of Platignums for quite cheap.

I looked on amazon and did find this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Platignum-Fountain-Lacquer-Chrome-Silver/dp/B00116VOAM/ref=sr_1_1?s=officeproduct&ie=UTF8&qid=1378899551&sr=1-1&keywords=platignum+no+5 which is probably the closest I'm going to get to a direct replacement at a very good cost - I guess if I really want to keep the original body I could just switch the section over, but actually, it looks posher than the original, so I probably wouldn't. I'll have a shufty at ebay at some point today, but so far, it looks like I'll have to go with a new pen rather than just a new section - not a big deal when the pen's this cheap, I suppose, just a shame when the original body's still in mint condition.

I'd heard that about international carts before, but tried some cheap generic short ones and a long waterman one before now and they wouldn't work. Makes me wonder if the end of the feed's been a bit dodgy from the start.

Edited by Geordielass

I looked on amazon and did find this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Platignum-Fountain-Lacquer-Chrome-Silver/dp/B00116VOAM/ref=sr_1_1?s=officeproduct&ie=UTF8&qid=1378899551&sr=1-1&keywords=platignum+no+5 which is probably the closest I'm going to get to a direct replacement at a very good cost - I guess if I really want to keep the original body I could just switch the section over, but actually, it looks posher than the original, so I probably wouldn't. I'll have shufty at ebay at some point today, but so far, it looks like I'll have to go with a new pen rather than just a new section - not a big deal when the pen's this cheap, I suppose, just a shame when the original body's still in mint condition.

I'd heard that about international carts before, but tried some cheap generic short ones and a long waterman one before now and they wouldn't work. Makes me wonder if the end of the feed's been a bit dodgy from the start.

Oh yeah before I forget, I found the platignum no4 for only £2 each in the works, if there is one nearby to you its worth a try.