Is My 18K Gold-Filled Cross Townsend Authentic And Made In The Usa?

shuuemura

I just bought a 18K Gold-filled Cross Townsend with a 18K BB nib from eBay, and I just wanted to ask the experts here if my pen is authentic and made in the USA. It has the script "Cross" logo on the clip, and an 18K hallmark for the rolled gold finish, but there is no marking of the country of origin on the pen itself. The pen itself writes well from the get-go, with some nib squeaking which should probably go away with use. At first I tried using a green Cross converter, but it leaked all over the place. The pen didn't leak when I switched to cartridges.

Here are some pictures for your perusal. Thanks in advance!

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5478/9715995298_cd4a5437a4_b.jpg

The whole pen.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5443/9715995362_5ee7e11779_b.jpg

First view of the script logo and the 18K hallmark.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3812/9712761239_5804c4df3a_b.jpg

Second view of the script logo and the 18K hallmark.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2865/9712761281_b3fff759b2_b.jpg

The nib section with an ink cartridge inserted in. I tried using a new green Cross converter but it leaked all over the place.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5501/9712761475_e2326476ef_b.jpg

Close-up of the 18K BB nib. It appears that Cross has discontinued the BB size, instead only offering F, M and B sizes nowadays.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5493/9715995490_a142d19740_b.jpgCloseup of the feed.

Edited by shuuemura

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shuuemura

• lovemy51

• RMN

• Albinoni

I don't know a huge amount about cross pens however I do know they changed there logo there logo from what your pen has tobone with a modern script, I don't quite know when they did it however I imagine i was before shifted production to china. From what I recall Cross has only being making fps since 1982 so I imagine you have an USA variant.

Well, if it is a fake it is a high quality one...(i'm not that much into Cross)

I normally don't like all gold or all silver pens, but this one looks appealing.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I would say it's a China-made one, my Century Classic from the 80's actually has "Made in USA" above the clip. I can't imagine why they would remove this while still producing in the US.

@arts_nibs

Probably, as Cross has relocated ALL production to China.

So that would not make it a fake.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I just called A.T. Cross in Lincoln, RI, and the lady on the phone said that as long as my pen has the clip logo "Cross" in cursive script, it should be made in the USA. She wasn't aware if there could be variations on the markings near the cap end jewel.

For good measure, I decided to ask the seller, Glen Spardello. He seems to enjoy a good reputation on this forum as a huge reseller of vintage Cross pens, so my pen should be authentic.

Hi Shuumera just a question here, doesn't it indicate anywhere on the cap that it's made in either USA or Ireland I know the previous older Crosses were and I also have a black Cross Townsend fountain pen and it's definitely made in USA, mind you I've had it for over 15 or so years.

My other question here is why is it leaking when you use the green converter I've never had this problem with mine, seriously get it checked out also is the converter sealed properly, if all fails than try another new converter. On my personal advice regarding this pen if you can use fountain pen ink from a ink bottle than do so, just prefer it to using cartridges.

Hi Shuumera just a question here, doesn't it indicate anywhere on the cap that it's made in either USA or Ireland I know the previous older Crosses were and I also have a black Cross Townsend fountain pen and it's definitely made in USA, mind you I've had it for over 15 or so years.

My other question here is why is it leaking when you use the green converter I've never had this problem with mine, seriously get it checked out also is the converter sealed properly, if all fails than try another new converter. On my personal advice regarding this pen if you can use fountain pen ink from a ink bottle than do so, just prefer it to using cartridges.

I looked all over the cap and the barrel and couldn't find any marking of the country of origin. I believe current China-made Townsends also lack country-of-manufacture markings, but they also shouldn't have the cursive script "Cross" logo on the clip. One hypothesis I have is that this pen could be a transition model made with parts from different eras of Townsend manufacture.

Thanks for the concern with my converter; I just sent it back to Amazon for an exchange. Fingers crossed that the replacement converter doesn't leak! (pardon the pun :lol: )

beautiful pen, Shu!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but need to ask: my Townsend -most likely made in China- has the Cross name on the clip in regular cap letters (no cursive like the OP's), is that a fake?

here is a pic:

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/CAM002921_zpsef466d31.jpg

beautiful pen, Shu!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but need to ask: my Townsend -most likely made in China- has the Cross name on the clip in regular cap letters (no cursive like the OP's), is that a fake?

here is a pic:

It looks real to me. Is your Townsend gold-filled, or just gold-plated? Are there any gold hallmarks on the cap or barrel of the pen?

Just a quick question here but is it true that the crosses now that are made in China it's not indicated anywhere on the pen that it's made in China. I know the ones that were made in USA and Ireland had it written on the cap

Just a quick question here but is it true that the crosses now that are made in China it's not indicated anywhere on the pen that it's made in China. I know the ones that were made in USA and Ireland had it written on the cap

I believe that's the case. There will be a country of origin marking indicating "China" on the box that comes with the pen, but that's as much as one will get nowadays.

It looks real to me. Is your Townsend gold-filled, or just gold-plated? Are there any gold hallmarks on the cap or barrel of the pen?

thx for the reply. it is Stainless Steel - chrome, except the section, of course. no gold at all.

edited: chrome, not SS.

Edited by lovemy51

Some updates: there were two huge scratches on the top of the gold-filled cap, so off it went back to the seller for a replacement. The new cap has the "Cross" in print instead of cursive script, and still no country of origin marking.

My replacement converter from Amazon works great. No leakage. I'm going to stop worrying about where this pen was made, and start enjoying this pen!

• 5 years later...

I consider myself a Cross expert. I run a Cross store, and ONLY sell Cross Pens etc. I know about other brands, but choose to stay with Cross for several reasons. Their LIFETIME Warranty! No paperwork needed! Doesn't matter how old the pen is. Just fill out the form and send it in. Another reason is related to the question you are asking. They are NOT one of the brands that are copied. I have never seen a Cross fake. I have seen almost every other brand though. Especially Mont Blanc. I have a set sitting on my desk now that are fakes. I'm not sure why, but you don't have to worry about yours being fake. It isn't. I also specialize in the higher end pens that Cross makes. Looking at your pictures, I have owned and sold many pens just like yours. Yours looks perfect. If you'd like to compare, you can stop by my eBay store and look for JerrysPens.

You can look at some of mine that are just like yours. Also if anybody wants to sell me any of these higher brands feel free to drop me a note. If anybody has any immediate questions about pens you can drop me a message there, or here. I'm not on here everyday though. I hope i helped answer your question about your pen being fake...it's not.

Kind Regards

Jerry

I would say it's a China-made one, my Century Classic from the 80's actually has "Made in USA" above the clip. I can't imagine why they would remove this while still producing in the US.

attachicon.gif IMG_5849.JPG

All of the 18k gold Townsends with the Script writing on them were make in the USA, not China. No worries!

• 2 weeks later...