The Lamy Safari Is Just As Good As Any Other Pen. There: I've Said It.

lurcho

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lurcho

• migo984

• Mike_Dowling

• Sailor Kenshin

I have a Lamy Vista.

It's OK, not inspiring.

I have a P61 that has such a perfect nib that the only thing I can think of while using it is how pleasant the act of writing is - and I generally loose the thread of what I'm writing due to thinking about the act itself. Now that pen is almost too inspiring..

The engineering on the Vista is brilliant. I am left amazed by it. But I hate the plastic. Feels horrible to me.

Regards,

Richard

In other news, a pair of Dr Martens' boots are as good as a pair of Savile Row brogues.

(edit -- I own several pairs of DMs -- and also several Lamy pens. I like a good, functional design.)

Edited by smiorgan

The humble Lamy Vista is one of my favourite pens, it's very comfortable to use, writes smoothly and I like the styling. It's also sturdy and cheap enough not to be heartbroken if anything ever happened to it, and I agree with a lot of what Martinbir said about attention to detail.

My favourite is still my L2K, but if I lost my Vista I would immediately buy another.

Personally I can't agree on the Oxford Optik paper though, it's OK but I much prefer Rhodia, especially the A5 dotpads.

In other news, a pair of Dr Martens' boots are as good as a pair of Savile Row brogues.

Mind you if you where going to spend all day in them I suspect you would prefer the Dr Martins.

Paul

Some folk like hamburger, others prefer steak. If you're happy with the Lamy Safari then great.

Using this analogy, I love me some steak, but I couldn't have it and only it to have a well-rounded diet.

I adore my more expensive items and use them regularly. I also love and enjoy using my less $ items. Steak and burgers, if you will.

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Hamburger. Steak.

One can be happy with both equally. One can prefer steak but be content with hamburger.

But a hamburger made with good beef and cooked properly is a hundred times better a dish than a steak made with indifferent meat and cooked all wrong.

Also, it's not an either/or proposition. It's a both/and.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

If the Safari makes you happy, that's great. They are inexpensive, robust, and available in many colors.

I have tried and tried to like the Safari myself, but the grip was just too awkward for my hand. I have bought several over the years, and I always ended up selling them or giving them away.

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

I love the look of the Lamy, the feel of the Lamy, everything about them, EXCEPT that the nibs are inconsistent. I've gotten Lamys that write beautifully and I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. And I've gotten Lamys where the nib simply doesn't write well - skipping and hard starts. I don't know enough to adjust a nib properly. I've tried, but never seem to get it right. I usually just buy another nib and hope for the best. However, I do love my Lamys. If I had to use Lamys from here on, and nothing else, it wouldn't break my heart. However, I do enjoy my other pens as well. ;)

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

What he said...

The pen writes, not as smooth as my Pelikan or TWSBI, but it's a bit ugly I gave it to my son Mine also leaked quite a bit with the converter, made a real mess.

The Lamy Safari is the best pen in the world if you are OK with the toy-like styling and the odd grip doesn't bother you and you are OK with C/C filling and you happen to get a converter that fits right and doesn't leak and you happen get a good nib and you don't mind that it only accepts Lamy cartridges...

I admit I would probably choose a different pen while writing with it eyes closed than eyes open. (my eyes, not the pen's)

Edited by jetsam

I have 2 Lamy Safaris and 1 Lamy Vista. Sure it feels cheap and plastic-like but the Lamy Charcoal doesn't. Its cool because its a reliable fountain pen and you know you can toss it around without worrying about it because its so replaceable. Didn't buy a rarer Terracotta or Savannah green otherwise it wouldn't be as replaceable. All the ones I've bought so far performed fantastically out of the box, no leaking converters either.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

I love my Safari. With my more expensive pens, I get nervous about taking them with me, or keeping them in my pen pouch. I've come to a conclusion that I get far more use out of my cheaper pens, so I'm sticking with them for the time being.

I'm quite a fan of the Safari family, as I can overlook the roster of deformities mentioned previously.

I really like the 1949 Parker "51" I'm using today, especially now that I've beaten the dents out of its cap.

I would not part with my Sheffer Statesman (which is actually four different pens from three different decades).

I would pursue the NRA's tag line regarding my Pelikan M600.

I like them all for the same reason-- performance and comfort. I like them all for the individuality they contain, as in no two is the performance nor sensation quite alike. I could even say the same of a Wearever Supreme, which went for 29 cents when new and came to me in exactly the condition one expects of a really cheap fifty year old pen.

If that's trolling, you're quite welcome to lurk under any bridges in my locality. :thumbup:

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I have 2 Lamy Safaris and 1 Lamy Vista. Sure it feels cheap and plastic-like but the Lamy Charcoal doesn't. Its cool because its a reliable fountain pen and you know you can toss it around without worrying about it because its so replaceable. Didn't buy a rarer Terracotta or Savannah green otherwise it wouldn't be as replaceable. All the ones I've bought so far performed fantastically out of the box, no leaking converters either.

+1. Big fan of the charcoal safari, the texture makes such a difference.

For many here the joy of fps isnt limited to the ability to make a nice line.

The joy of making a nice line isn't the only consideration of anyone here.

The Safaris I've used have made nice lines, but they were also as unfortunate looking as ever and not as comfortable as I would have liked.

Edited by Kugelschreiber

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

The Lamy Safari is the best pen in the world if you are OK with the toy-like styling and the odd grip doesn't bother you and you are OK with C/C filling and you happen to get a converter that fits right and doesn't leak and you happen get a good nib and you don't mind that it only accepts Lamy cartridges...

+1. The situation in one sentence. One might add the cheesy plastic.

ron

What with all the Safari boasting here over the last few months, I just had to try it out, so I bought one. I have to say, I have a half dozen Indian and Chinese pens that not only look better than a Safari but they all write 10x better. That Safari is now bound for my daughter in North Carolina. Worst buy I ever experienced. That's just my experience, and, I'm sure there are plenty of FPNers out there that love their Safari, just difference in experience, that's all.

Nibbly

I'm quite a fan of the Safari family, as I can overlook the roster of deformities mentioned previously.

Ha ! Ernst I love the way you put that. Something funny about it that made be laugh out loud this morning .. "roster of deformaties" - have to save the phrase for my next staff meeting. 3 safari's here. Vista, then a blue plastic one - very light, and another All Star which I really like. Love the feel of the Al Star.

to the original post - you don't have to hack the feeds like a Noodler's for tinkerers - but I had a couple of nibs that I got replacements for. Lamy's are fine. If I were to recommend a new pen to anyone for a first timer - that would be it. I too have had some big disappointments with nibs on expensive pens. But .. I have learned.