Shanghai Hero Fountain Pens?

Philly Rider

My current Hero population consists of one Hero 100 flighter, a maroon 616, a green 329, a black 330, and an unknown model in matte silver color, came with a bottle of Hero blue ink for $15 at the Dallas Pen Show last weekend. I have read and heard about QC problems with Hero pens, and I though I was beating the odds with the first 3 being great writers. Then, when I purchased two more at the Pen Show, I thought for certain I would get bad ones. Imagine my surprise when the two additions wrote as nicely as the first 3. They all write a little differently, but all lay down a smooth, wet line, of varying width, and the pens each have a little different weight and balance. Not a lot, but noticeable. I would recommend getting a Flighter version, which you should be able to get for under $30 shipped, or not much over that. If you don't like it, you could probably sell it for what you paid for it, here on Marketplace.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ngfchen

• Oldtimer

• Philly Rider

• adair

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm afraid i should tell you that 50% of the hero pens on sale are fake ones...pity.

Edited by ngfchen

I'm afraid i should tell you that 50% of the hero pens on sale are fake ones...pity.

Why would someone go through the trouble of counterfeiting a pen that's already cheap and easily obtainable? Am I missing some joke here?

An empty can usually makes the loudest noise.

Why would someone go through the trouble of counterfeiting a pen that's already cheap and easily obtainable? Am I missing some joke here?

My sentiments exactly. I saw a Hero 336 selling for US$7 somewhere online. I have one myself, and it cost about a tenth of that price here(Singapore), so I figure its probably cheaper in China. After all, what's the point if you can have something like a 1000% profit margin with the real thing.

Looking to exchange ink samples! Available: Noodler's Bulletproof Black, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange

I just bought 2 Hero FPs today after accidentally coming across some at a run-down grocery store. A Hero 329 and Hero 'Youth' (or 616)...tried the 329 and it's a very nice fine writer. I did notice that the nib does sometimes dribble ink though...

Incidentally, there were also 2 Pilot Birdie FPs for sale if anyone's interested. I don't mind getting them although the cardboard? ends have deteriorated.

My sentiments exactly. I saw a Hero 336 selling for US$7 somewhere online. I have one myself, and it cost about a tenth of that price here(Singapore), so I figure its probably cheaper in China. After all, what's the point if you can have something like a 1000% profit margin with the real thing.

You are quite right.The price of hero 329 in China is about $1,and hero100 is $15~$20.

hero 100 is a nice pen with a nice price,we think highly of it.

post-9371-1191422100_thumb.jpg

post-9371-1191422116_thumb.jpg

All of my experiences with Hero Pens has been good and the 100, 132, 616 and my Hero Doctors pen are really good writers.

The Danitrio Fellowship

• 3 years later...

I thoroughly recommend the Hero 100 and I have a Hero 800 (cf Parker 45)on order. It's worth paying that little bit more for the significantly better nib than the 616 or 329.

I have a 200A, and for me so far its been rather dry.... I've been carefully and slowly widening the tines to make sure I don't damage the nib but aside from that the nib feels very smooth (for its relative wetness).

I actually have a preferene to Duke, the nibs are far smoother than anything else I have (given that my TWSBI is the most expensive), and have been consistent across the multiple Dukes I've used.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

• 8 months later...

Hi, I'm new to this forum and appreciate the topic very much. Always wondered why I didn't like to

write anymore -- until I picked up my old Schaefer, put in a new cartridge, and remembered why I used

to write letters, poetry, draw, etc.

Okay my question is about the Hero 753A on ebay. Anyone had experience with this pen? Or these

ebay sellers? It's a beautiful pen, and if it equals the smoothness of my old Schaefer school model

I'd be happy.

Thanks!

Hello. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with Hero fountain pens. Specifically the Hero 100, which mimics the looks of the venerable Parker 51.

The price seems extraordinarily reasonable. Is it worth a try? If so any suggestions on models, best nib, etc. Thanks.

I own a Hero 100, Hero 616 Jumbo and a couple of Parker 51.

The 100 build is much better than the 616 Jumbo, but is not as good as the Parker 51s. The clip on the 100 is very thin compared to the 51 and the fill bar on the 100 feels cheap compared to the 51's. The 100 is a thinner pen than the 51 or 616 Jumbo. I do not have a ruler handy, but looking at the pens, 616 Jumbo is much closer in size to the 51. The 100 is good writer but very fine, even finer the 616 Jumbo. I think there's only one nib size for the 100.

I bought my 100 here for $20 and at that price point it was good buy. I don't think I'd buy it at $40+shipping price point. For that price, you can buy a Parker 21 Super NOS (another Parker I own) I think the line width variety, build quality, etc. of the Parker 21 Super is superior to the 100 at that price.

Atomic Leo

Ijust recieved my 10 pack of Hero 616 jumbos and I am thoroughly impressed with the quality of such inexpensive pens, granted I've only filled one. I got mine from ebay and it took about 2 weeks to arrive from China.

• 1 month later...

I just received a Hero 616 and a 329 from an online vendor And actually ordered a 10 pack from an Ebay vendor that should arrive in a week or so. I like the 616, it is the one that I inked yesterday. I like the way it writes with PR Grey Flannel. I'll see how well it holds up.

"know thyself?" If I knew myself, I'd run away.

Goethe

I just received a Hero 616 and a 329 from an online vendor And actually ordered a 10 pack from an Ebay vendor that should arrive in a week or so. I like the 616, it is the one that I inked yesterday. I like the way it writes with PR Grey Flannel. I'll see how well it holds up.

Did the filling video help with your 616?

Regards,

Norman Haase

His Nibs.com

www.hisnibs.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HisNibs1

Hello. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with Hero fountain pens. Specifically the Hero 100, which mimics the looks of the venerable Parker 51.

The price seems extraordinarily reasonable. Is it worth a try? If so any suggestions on models, best nib, etc. Thanks.

Many Hero fountain pens cost less than $10.00..., shipped. I bought several but the model numbers escape me. They are sturdily constructed. The nibs are a bit scratchy but that help with my penmanship. My handwriting is all but illegible when I use pens such as Sailor, Mont Blanc and such; they're too smooth and, in my hand, they tend to glide off on their own. But the Hero and other Chinese pens such as the Duke, Kaigelu, and others, I can actually make out what I had written.

In summary, Hero pens are sturdy..., well constructed. The nibs are scratchy; they drag when compared to "finer" instruments. I recommend them. Carry one when you travel.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Mine said Hero 2017 (?). Don't think there is such thing but it works fine. Soft and very wet.

• 4 weeks later...

It's cheap, that is why i bought it when I was staring a month ago.... I have not heard a thing about this pen. My only Hero but so nice, always writes at the first time as it should when capped for a few days. Also smooth wring nib. Is this a new Hero?

It's cheap, that is why i bought it when I was staring a month ago.... I have not heard a thing about this pen. My only Hero but so nice, always writes at the first time as it should when capped for a few days. Also smooth wring nib. Is this a new Hero?

Oh I have one of those. Picked it up in a stationery store in China when I was visiting. Its a hero 9210 or something. Never got mine to work properly though :(. Edited by superglueshoe