Another Vintage Schaeffer Question

MissChief

A number of years ago, I found an old fountain pen in an abandoned house. It had no cap and the bladder has completely disintegrated. Just yesterday, I cleaned out the pen and decided to try using it as a dip pen. To my amazement, it worked! Even though it's a little scratchy, I love how it writes. I posted a picture of it to the Pen Fetish group on Ravelry and it was suggested I post some pictures here to see if anyone can help identify this pen. I think I know what it is but it would be nice to have some confirmation.

The pen IS a Schaeffer Lifetime, that much I've been able to figure out; as well, it says "made in Canada" and has Canadian patent information engraved into it.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out how to post pictures here.

Here are links to the three pictures I've taken:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evskae/9701378275/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evskae/9704612840/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evskae/9704613566/

Any help, including help on posting pictures, would be appreciated. Also, is this a pen that is worth restoring? Or should I just keep using it as a dip pen? If interested, I've also posted a blog post about the pen; you can find it here.

Your life is the result of the choices you make. If you don’t like your life, it’s time to start making better choices.

- unknown -

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MissChief

• jar

• kirchh

• Pincel

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason I even tried using India ink, and as a dip pen only, was to see if the pen would even write. I've read not to use India ink in a bladder or cartridge and if I do have this pen restored, I would use only fountain pen ink.

Any suggestions as to a restorer? If it makes any difference, I'm in Canada.

Your life is the result of the choices you make. If you don’t like your life, it’s time to start making better choices.

- unknown -

The only reason I even tried using India ink, and as a dip pen only, was to see if the pen would even write. I've read not to use India ink in a bladder or cartridge and if I do have this pen restored, I would use only fountain pen ink.

You shouldn't use India ink with any pen not designed for it. Even dipping a fountain pen in India ink will foul it, as it will clog the ink-feeding channels and overflow fins.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Ok, fine... I won't use it with India ink anymore. I figured the pen was toast. At the very least, I discovered that the pen actually writes. I do not own any other kind of ink at this point because I'm just getting back into using a fountain pen (I do have 3 others) after a lot of years. For what it's worth, I've been flushing it each and every time I've used it. So, what about restoration? Is it toast?

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed in here, I have to say. I came in asking serious questions. I'm a relative newbie to fountain pens and I feel as if I've just been told, "go away, little girl, what do you know?" Other than being told it's a Balance, no one has offered me any real information other than chastising me for using India ink.

- unknown -

OK, the original poster knows about why she should not be using India ink. And about flushing the pen thoroughly, since she's used it anyway. Done with that. Moving on now.

Where would you Sheaffer fans suggest she might send this Balance for a new sac, and hope that the repair place would have a cap that might work with it?

Ok, fine... I won't use it with India ink anymore. I figured the pen was toast. At the very least, I discovered that the pen actually writes. I do not own any other kind of ink at this point because I'm just getting back into using a fountain pen (I do have 3 others) after a lot of years. For what it's worth, I've been flushing it each and every time I've used it. So, what about restoration? Is it toast?

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed in here, I have to say. I came in asking serious questions. I'm a relative newbie to fountain pens and I feel as if I've just been told, "go away, little girl, what do you know?" Other than being told it's a Balance, no one has offered me any real information other than chastising me for using India ink.

Telling folk not to use India ink was really, really important and that's why so many folk spoke up. It's one of the few things someone can do to a fountain pen that is pretty much irreversible,

What you have is a very nice pen, but you will need a cap and also a new sac.

For the cap there are only a few options. Someone might have a cap in that pattern that will fit but you might have an easier time finding a plain black one.

Getting the sac replaced is the next issue. It's not a difficult task but as with any really old pens, bad things can happen. After all the plastic in your pen is over three quarters of a century old. I'd recommend getting someone more experienced to restore it and they might also be able to supply a cap.

Unfortunately, I have only one idea of who in Canada you could contact and that is the member Ernst Bitterman. He should at least be able to give you advice.

There are quite a few folk this side of the line who could help, but be sure to ask them about shipping. If you want to try this side of the border for repairs one possible suggestion is Danny Fudge. He is easy to work with, has done good work for me in the past and has pretty quick turn around.

There are several others who specialize in restoration of vintage Sheaffers.

Edited by jar

My Website

Thank you, Jar. That was very helpful. This evening, I will spend some time reading through the links you provided and possibly contacting one or more with my questions.

- unknown -

Welcome to FPN and the Sheaffer forum. You have quite a find there and is well worth getting restored. Sheaffer or Parker ink is available at some stationers for less than $10 a bottle - which will last a long time. Given that repairing the sac is not expensive (with the exception of shipping) it is well worth doing.

Try this link http://www.vancouverpenclub.com/

Someone there might have a suggestion more locally to have your pen fixed. I am not sure how far you are from there but not far by post.

Does anyone out there have a Balance cap that would fit? Even if it was scratched or missing the clip at least the pen could be usable.

Thank you, barleycorn. I will check out that website and send them a quick email, probably later this evening. It's been a very long day!

- unknown -

• 6 months later...

*Bump*

Just bumping this to ask if anyone has a spare cap that might fit this pen? I'm not fussy about the colour, really, but if it complements the pen, even better. A customer, a pen aficionado and repairer complimented me on how well I've cleaned the pen, gave me some pointers on removing the old shellac, provided me with an ink sac, and told me how to install it. He was impressed with the pen and said it was in good condition, considering its age, and well worth restoring/renewing.

I'm in no rush but if anyone has a spare cap laying around, that would fit this pen, I'd be grateful.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3798/9701378275_a0d6519a94_z.jpg

- unknown -