A Short Handwriting Video

pmhudepo

Inspired by carretera18's First Handwriting Video, I decided to post my first attempt at filming my own handwriting as well. I recorded this last month and I probably have a thing or two to learn about the best way to show writing in action (without being in a very uncomfortable position).

I used a Gorillapod tripod with a Panasonic LX-3 compact camera, placed between my chest and my writing. I'll have to experiment a bit with height and angle, and perhaps sometimes a wider view would be good as well. Or a view from the opposite direction, so posture and motion become better visible.

One thing I noticed while recording, is that knowing it's on camera affects my writing, and perhaps more so than the physical obstruction caused by the equipment. Also, the lines the EF nib produces look a little fatter on screen than in real life :)

Enjoy!

Edited by pmhudepo

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• pmhudepo

• carretera18

Top Posters In This Topic

IOne thing I noticed while recording, is that knowing it's on camera affects my writing, and perhaps more so than the physical obstruction caused by the equipment. Also, the lines the EF nib produces look a little fatter on screen than in real life :)

I've produced 30 video clips on youtube for posting on this forum. I can remember how it felt at first, but the more you do, the less inhibited you'll feel. it does get easier. To produce these, I poked my writing arm between the legs of a tripod. This works, but it's far from easy. Later, when I made my DVD, I bought a large tripod with a boom, similar to a studio microphone stand. I was able to swing it directly over my work with absolutely no impediment. As it was expensive, I couldn't justify keeping it and once I had completed the video clips for the DVD, I sold it on, and am now back to poking my arm through the tripod legs again!

I am impressed with your video clip. Nice lettering and a very clear, clean image. Can you tell me how you get such great lighting? I usually have to edit the image to brighten it. Thanks for posting.

Edited by caliken

pmhudepo,

Your video is far better than mine and quoting Mr. Caliken, the light of your video makes it very pleasant to see.
And congrats for your penmanship too. I hope more videos from you in near future.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

[socrates]

Sometimes I post something about pens and penmanship at my blog

Instagram@carretera18

Thank you both for your kind words!
I usually write at my dining table because it's a nice big surface, facing a pretty large window. The direction of view is North-East, which means that during the morning direct sunlight disappears and fairly bright but much softer light remains. (Of course, I also get some dark winter days in my living room.)
My father created a writing slope for me and I really enjoy using it. It's rather large, but I find that comfortable to use as I can move the paper around quite a bit. When i'm finished, I fold the stand and place the slope on top of a bookcase.
Here's an overview of how I created the video clip:
fpn_1378541546__9689349285_455da3fe70_o_
Tripod and camera are roughly 20 cm tall. I tried a few options that morning and I think I filmed part of the resulting clip by putting the tripod on a dictionary, raising it 5 - 6 cm.
Here's a different view:
fpn_1378541591__9692587582_b2906d653e_o_

I suspect the large NE-facing window and the optics + electronics in the Panasonic LX-3 deserve most of the credit. The LX-3 is quite a brilliant little camera, with a great lens.
Although I suspect the weather today is less cheerful than it was on the Sunday morning when I created the clip, here's a wide overview that ilustrates the lighting:
fpn_1378541629__9689349251_5c6a141094_o_

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

pmhudepo,

You have a nice set for your films production.
I'll buy a tripod like yours ASAP.
Thanks for sharing!

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

[socrates]

Sometimes I post something about pens and penmanship at my blog

Instagram@carretera18