Possibly My Best Ebay Score!

MxMJ

Wahl-Eversharp's haven't really been my thing in the past but I have what I think is quite a nice one on the way to me. It should be here tomorrow here are the auction pictures, its second from the left on the bottom of the first picture. It looks to me, with my limited knowledge of eversharps, like a full size Wahl-Eversharp Gold Seal in Rosewood. Can anyone who knows more offer any insight? I should be able to take better pics tomorrow.

Get this, the lot was only $37.66 shipped! I'm trying (and failing) to not get too excited in case it is horribly damaged or something but I think this lot is the best fountain pen deal I've ever gotten.

http://i.imgur.com/lWaqcDbl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nyRMFAnl.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MxMJ

• rpk1204

• betweenthelens

• Penne Stilografiche

You got ripped off, but since I'm nice I'll bail you out and I'll give you $38.66 for em'! :D Congrats on the new acquisitions and welcome to the sumgai club!

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

So far, my sumgai deals include a Parker 45 with a 14k nib for $10 and a $44 (including shipping) lot including two Waterman inks, one Pelikan, and, oh yeah, Parker Penman Emerald. All full.

Sweet! Some nice stuff in that lot, can't wait to hear about how it all looks when it arrives!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

You got ripped off, but since I'm nice I'll bail you out and I'll give you $38.66 for em'! :D Congrats on the new acquisitions and welcome to the sumgai club!

I've been a member for a while but I think this is my best, at least this year. Past sumgai's include 4 Lamy 2000 ballpoints for a total of $4, a minty Estie Purse pen in 'Orchid' for $1, a few P51's for ~$5 each, and a MB crystal inkwell for $10. Those were all 'in the wild' though and if you factor in the time I spent looking, the prices seem less impressive. :rolleyes:

Sweet! Some nice stuff in that lot, can't wait to hear about how it all looks when it arrives!

I'll be sure to post some pictures, the anticipation is killing me! USPS seems to know how anxious I am so they decided the package should take almost 30 hours to get from San Antonio to my local post office in Austin (its just over an hour drive). It got to my PO about an hour after the delivery truck left for the day. Guess I'll be posting pics tomorrow. :wallbash: (EDIT: Nevermind! They are here, pics soon!)

I like the Parker Challenger in the top left corner. Let me know if your selling :D

I think that is probably one of the few I am keeping from this lot, sorry!

Edited by MxMJ

Just got the pens and am quite happy!

Here are pics of the 5 nicer pens from the lot The Wahl Eversharp is in the last 2 pictures. Is there anything to know about it that I have missed? It is 135mm capped and 175mm posted. Also, ideas for cleaning it up? I don't really have any experience with hard rubber.

1. Wahl Gold Seal in Rosewood - Wahl Signature Pen M nib. It's got a fair amount of discoloration and a some corrosion around the lower cap band. No chips or cracks though!
2. Parker Deluxe Challenger - Original nib with matching .46. date code. Light chew marks on the blind cap and some brassing, other than that it's in good shape.
3. Parker 'Moderne' - Parker Lucky Curve 2 nib, unfortunately the nib is cracked all the way down the middle. Heavily brassed cap band, some brassing on the clip. Blind cap does appear to be a replacement but it fits very, very well. The blind cap also has a price sticker on it "153 Med. 8.50" which (I think) is more than these ever cost so that confirms that its a replacement.
4. Conklin Crescent filler - Conklin 3 Toledo nib. The imprint and chasing are heavily worn, the crescent is missing and the cap is a replacement.
5. Unmarked Ringtop lever filler - Warranted 14k 2 nib.

Edited by MxMJ

Love them all! I had one that looked just like the cream one in the bottom of the orig picture - love the old 30's celluloids even if they aren't valuable.

Thanks rpk1204 and betweenthelens!

I cleaned up the Wahl-Eversharp, I did some google-ing and it seems semichrome shouldn't hurt it at least as long as you go easy and wipe it down afterwards*. It isn't perfect but its a lot better than before, here's a before-after pic.

http://i.imgur.com/Nyx8MfMl.jpg

* [someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I wouldn't want anyone to damage their pen because of me]

• 1 month later...

Late Congratulations to you! Great haul.

You could also try a non-abrasive polishing cream. I bought it from Fountain Pen Hospital a few years back but it is very nice if they still have it.

Enjoy!

Simichrome works great (in moderation) but do be careful. The reason it works so great is that it is a little more abrasive than necessary for routine clean and shine, and contains ammonia too which breaks down the rubber somewhat. Also, I have found that the micro abrasion left behind by the Simichrome leads to faster dulling later on as the tiny almost microscopic "scratches" in the rubber surface left by the larger simichrome particles increases the amount of rubber exposed to oxidation, etc. So for periodic clean and shine maybe use something more gentle. Also what happens with over-use on Rosewood is the softer red rubber streaks in the Rosewood wear away a little faster than the black streaks in the rosewood pattern so with over-aggressive Simichrome polishing you can get a high/low texture to the pen. The red rubber is red due to either iron oxide or cadmium and the black is black because of the carbon. The black is much harder rubber than the red.

Nice Haul by the way.

Syd

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

Furthering what Syd said; it's probably a god idea to handle that rosewood a LOT, to get some skin oils onto the rubber as a protective, and to dilute any residue of the Simichrome with said oils and by transference to your hands.

Also-- I'm absolutely rigid with envy at that lot. Rigid!

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg