Obama's Table Full Of Montblanc Pens

gio

post-96864-0-04373500-1378309580.jpg

post-96864-0-02287600-1378309598.jpg

post-96864-0-71681700-1378300710_thumb.jpg

Am i misstaken to identify a bunch of Montblancs on the table, during the meeting of the president of the USA and the primeminister of Sweden, in Stockholm today? (4th september 2013)

Edited by gio

Γιωργος Αθανασιαδης

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gio

• MisterBoll

• AV8R210

• Opooh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gio- I cant seem to ID the pens on the table, guess we need more detail, and close-up shots.

But, in Washington DC, President Obama uses Cross pens whenever he does an official signing of bills. Especially, if it is a bill that is signed in a public ceremony. He uses a number of identical Cross pens to sign, and then distributes the pens, which have the Presidential Seal on them.

I have asked, or rather requested my Senator to get me one of those pens.

I have asked, or rather requested my Senator to get me one of those pens.

Please keep us posted on the outcome of your request!

And on behalf of the original post: These pens surely are provided by Sweden, and the Swedish prime minister might act very European here and therefore didn't choose a Swedish brand, but the best known European one.

Edited by Strombomboli

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

It's so nice to see these truly wonderful people using a truly wonderful pen.

He, he!

"Wonderful people" is not really a synonym with "politicians" but i hope that they are trying at least! :-)

On the other side, i totally agree about the "truly wonderful pens" ...

Γιωργος Αθανασιαδης

He, he! "Wonderful people" is not really a synonym with "politicians" but i hope that they are trying at least! :-) On the other side, i totally agree about the "truly wonderful pens" ...

Mr Boll was obviously referring to the Swedes... :-)

Fuzzy Navels at breakfast?

Mimosas! (Champagne and OJ)

If this scene was in a movie it would be called product placement and would have cost MB a fortune!

"It is the pen gives immortality to men." Maistre Wace, Canon of Bayeux, 1110-1174

If this scene was in a movie it would be called product placement and would have cost MB a fortune!

You are absolutely right. I hadn't thought of that. :-)

Γιωργος Αθανασιαδης

Fuzzy Navels at breakfast?

Mimosas! (Champagne and OJ)

It's 5 o'clock somewhere B)

The pen in the first pic looks like a Waterman Expert II. The rest do look somewhat like MB ballpoints.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

I doubt Nobama had anything to do with those pens. If they are FP's, being an overwriter, he'd have fun I'm sure. :rolleyes: The Crossi he uses are the Roller Balls.

Look at the pic. What are the odds that each participant would lay his pen down at the same place relative to his place setting at almost the same exact angle? I would assume the "setting of the table" would be the responsibility of the Host country. I suspect Sweden is responsible for the pens, it almost looks like they are there for the attendees to notate what may be a breakfast menu.

I would assume Sweden would mean the pens to be gifts. Surely they'd have more sense that to think a politician would leave anything expensive there that they could take for free.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

First picture, the BP most left with the top in direction of the camera, seems to me the top is all black no white visible. So maybe a swedish MB counterfeit.

Assuming they are Montblancs, I wonder what is the proper diplomatic protocol?

Does one leave the pen on the table when the breakfast meeting ends? Are they considered a gift and a faux pax not to take it?

Certainly no one in the governmental salary range of anyone sitting at this table needs a freebie MB, so what's a White House staffer to do? Sigh. All my meetings have Bics or #2 lead pencils.

I'll bet there is a diplomatic protocol for this. And I'll bet there is a former or current diplomat on this forum who could advise us.

Of course, any such diplomatic protocol does not apply if you are Vladimir Putin, who evidently believes anything put into his hand is a gift (like Super Bowl rings).

"It is the pen gives immortality to men." Maistre Wace, Canon of Bayeux, 1110-1174

Never lend him your fountain pen!

post-96864-0-04373500-1378309580.jpg

If you see the pen that is in the center of this picture, you will notice that there are only 2 gold bands on that cap, an attribute that an authentic MB does not have. The pen to the right of this pen seems to have nothing but black on the top of the cap, so I think they are all just MB lookalikes.

Edited by Penne Stilografiche

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

I think President Obama does actually own a Montblanc pen. It was probably a gift though. Another FPNer posted a picture of him opening his suit jacket and inside there is clearly a thin, black and gold MB pen with the snowcap logo. It looked like a Classique, probably a BP or RB.

Supposedly JFK used a MB 149, but I don't know if that's true. There is a photo of him using one at a signing ceremony in Germany with Konrad Adenauer, but I assume it was lent to him or given to him by the host.

There is a reason the 149 was once called "The Diplomat." It seems to be the favored pen to use at important government meetings, documents signings and as gifts for officials.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I think there's a definite superficial similarity between the MB Mozart and Cross Radiance, for example.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2qitq1u.png

http://i41.tinypic.com/2daxdox.jpg

Written by a person who saved a Cross Radiance uninked since 1995 and discovered that the current price on Ebay is almost exactly the same as it was 18 years ago.

Edited by rff000