Thoughts On Demonstrators

SharkOnWheels456

I've been looking at a lot of demonstrator pens recently, and I must say that the idea of having a clear pen has grown on me.

When I first started lurking on FPN after I made my first FP purchase around 9 months ago, I honestly had no idea why anyone would ever buy a demonstrator. The clear body looked so cheap, and with inks like Baystate Blue out there, it seemed like you could almost ruin a demonstrator simply by filling it with the wrong ink. Not to mention that it seemed as if you were paying $80 (or more in many cases) for an easily breakable piece of plastic.

I held this opinion for a fairly long amount of time... until I went to the Fountain Pen Hospital in Downtown NYC for the first time. Considering I'm only a 30 minute train ride away from most of the bottom half of Manhattan, I decided that I had to make the pilgrimage. During my first visit, I only stayed for around 10 minutes or so. It was nearly closing time, and a family of three tourists and I were the only customers. Knowing that I couldn't afford any of the beautiful pens displayed, I looked at their ink selection before leaving. (Don't worry, this story is actually going somewhere)

On my way out, I picked up their annual catalog. On the cover was the absolutely majestic Visconti Opera Crystal with the extremely cool looking Mosquito filler. I was absolutely awestruck that a demonstrator could be so beautiful. As a matter of fact, I liked the clear body better than the Blue Typhoon solid design. This caused me to give demonstrators a second chance. I decided to do some research on TWSBI's (which I am now dying to get one of. Though I've promised to not buy any more pens until next year, there is always my birthday and Christmas :D) and various other pens that come as demonstrators. Nevertheless, I no longer hold my prejudice against a very good deal of pens that actually look very nice if made correctly.

What are your feelings on demonstrators? Did you start out with a prejudice against them/a preference towards them?

(On a side note, this is the first time I'm posting a thread on First Stop that won't end in me spending massive amounts of money! Yay!)

Pic Related: I would probably shave my head right now for this pen.

post-105903-0-90492200-1378279113_thumb.jpg

“I say, if your knees aren’t green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”-Calvin

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpconverted

• Dillo

• Eduardo

• GabrielleDuVent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My feelings are already documented on this site in multiple other threads on this subject.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

I don't have tons, but I really like the few I do have. And I like converter demonstrators because the converter gives another layer of "machinery" to look at, and it also keeps the barrel clean and clear.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8323/8121541666_835cb103c2_c.jpg

This is a Sailor 1911M.

Doug

I'd say 'demonstrator' is a name for transparent pens nowadays.

The original demonstrators were made to showcase the patented filling technologies of the pens of yore, but nowadays the patents have pretty much expired so there isn't much to demonstrate.

Going by current standards, I'd say the Pilot Custom 823 is a true demonstrator.

The 92 is more of a namesake, just like the Pelikan demonstrators.

Edited by proton007

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

I like demonstrators except for C/C FP, you can see the filling mechanism, f.e. The Conid Bulkfiller, the Visconti Opera and the Onoto Magna Plungerfiller are a bit more exotic than a normal pistonfiller.

I have a ton of cheap pens made for kid that are transparent or have transparent grips and sections. They helped me see where the ink lingers while flushing a pen, which helped me improve how I flushed my pens.

I never liked the demonstrators and especially the 'ugly' converters that were now visible. This all changed when I saw the Conid Bulkfiller Flattop.

And although it is out of production I was fortunately enough to get one. The pen is gorgeous and the filling mechanism is very special.

Although I would not recommend to use dark red ink (I now use the MB Alfred Hitchcock), it looks like you are holding a syringe with blood.

I love the looks of demonstrators.

I owned the Pelikan 1005 Demonstrator: beautiful pen, but after one filling the blue stains where here to stay. This gives me the creeps: I want a clean pen. But if you don't care a bit of staining you can enjoy the pen!

Silly fact: some expensive pens suffer from the staining problem, while a relatively affordable pen like the TWSBI 540 and now 580 don't suffer the problem. Partly engineering, partly choice of material I suppose.

Sorry folks but I really dislike demonstrators. Maybe its because I was brought up in an era when clear pens were cheap starter pens, but they just don't appeal at all. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a pen I could see through.

That Visconti is a nice pen, but the Typhoon in swirled blue is MUCH prettier and more impressive to my eyes.

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

I like them. I have several of different prices and manufacturers, including my prized Aurora 88 Limited Edition demo with gold trim, a Visconti midi RB (though I cannot recall the model), a Lamy Safari Vista (?), and two TWSBI's, one the classsic and one the demo model (which I prefer). I love the look of the ink in the barrel, and knowing how much ink is left. Probably some others hiding around here as well...

I find them interesting, but it is a delicate balance in achieving a mature/professional look in a clear pen. I like my TWSBIs, but they're hardly the most professional looking instruments in my collection.

I love the looks of demonstrators.

I owned the Pelikan 1005 Demonstrator: beautiful pen, but after one filling the blue stains where here to stay. This gives me the creeps: I want a clean pen. But if you don't care a bit of staining you can enjoy the pen!

Silly fact: some expensive pens suffer from the staining problem, while a relatively affordable pen like the TWSBI 540 and now 580 don't suffer the problem. Partly engineering, partly choice of material I suppose.

I think it is wholly material and nothing to do with engineering, because TWSBI use polycarbonate, whereas most other manufacturers use acrylic. Unfortunately, polycarbonates can be tricky to mould (hence the cracking problems) and have unproven service life in fountain pen applications.

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

I had the impression that some pens, like the Pelikan, have some kind of double wall near the section
where ink kan seep in between.

After days of soaking in water and pumping water in and out the ink stain (residue?) slowly diminished.

Hence the engineering issue. Bit I can be completely mistaken. :unsure:

I only got one,a pelikan m200 special edition 2012 clear that i love but got some troubles with as the inner cap is covered ith ink and i clean it and clean it again but it still remains ink in it...I like to have demonstrators for seeing the mechanism inside.

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Have a pair each of Pelikan M200 in green and red. Also a pair of Sheaffer Levenger Seas in blue. All unused as I don't like demos. That begs the question why I bought them except the Sheaffers which were to complete my Connaisseur collection.

When I have the time the Pelikans will be put up for sale or trade. Watching ink sloshing about in a pen is not my idea of fun.

Stay well,

Solomon

WTB: Unusual and prototype Sheaffer Connaisseurs, Grande Connaisseurs and Parker Premiers.

I don't like clear demonstrators, but I like the tinted/colored ones.

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

I had the impression that some pens, like the Pelikan, have some kind of double wall near the section

where ink kan seep in between.

After days of soaking in water and pumping water in and out the ink stain (residue?) slowly diminished.

Hence the engineering issue. Bit I can be completely mistaken. :unsure:

I have the same problem with my 1005 - a slight ink residue stubbornly lodged in an impossible to reach place. Seems that I will just have to use similar shades of ink and not let it stand empty.

"I am a poure dyuel, and my name ys Tytyvyllus... I muste eche day ... brynge my master a thousande pokes full of faylynges, and of neglygences in syllables and wordes."

Myroure of Oure Ladye, I.xx.54

I've noticed that people who dislike the looks of demonstrators often really dislike the looks of demonstrators. :)

I've got a couple of piston fillers that look very good to me, Pelikan M200 and TWSBI ROC 100, and a Noodler's Piston Flex that is at least not ugly. I think it's a useful feature to be able to see how much ink is in there. My cheap Waterman Kulturs don't look as good with the converter or cartridge visible inside. Then there are a couple of Platinum Preppies which look as cheap as they are, but what do you want for $4?

All pens are going to pick up a few scratches over the years, but I wonder if they will be much more obvious on the demonstrator models. I'll see how the Pelikan looks in 10 years.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I guess demonstrators are as good at exposing design flaws as they're at showcasing the engineering.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

I like some inks in demonstrators.

I put BSB in my Lamy Vista. Looked gorgeous for 4 days until the ink softened the feed to the point the nib detached like a broken fingernail. Now I tend to limit myself to Visconti Red, it looks as if I'm writing with a vial of blood.

Beyond that, my main issue is with the feel of the plastic used. Most demonstrators nowdays are made from ABS or Polycarbonate, and I just don't get on with the feel of those plastics.

I made myself a clear pen from extruded acrylic rod (including section). That worked well until the rod cracked due to internal stresses in extruded rod. I quite liked that pen, and it felt OK.

Regards,

Richard.