Suggestions For A Brownish Ink?

weltyj

Well, there comes a time in everyone's life when they are ready for some color. I have thus far played with black, black and ooh, you guessed it, black.

My current pens are all fine nibs, non-flex. They tend to be dry. I have found some reasonably good paper, and mostly use my pens to sketch, though I'm starting to work on Chancery italic hand too.

I think tones in the brownish, sepia, red, (maybe orangish, if not too orange) might be a nice alternative. I saw this one as a possibility:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/222032-diamine-ochre/

One criteria that is important for my sketching is relatively fast drying time. I have a Waterman intense black that is too slow to dry, I find myself smearing it -- I sketch on my lunch hour would prefer not having to wait 20 seconds for the ink to dry so I can work a different part of the picture. Noodler's black doesn't have this problem.

If you know off the top of your head of an ink that might be suitable, I'd be eternally grateful for a suggestion!

Cheers,

Jeff

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• weltyj

• pencils+pens

• EKE

• applejade

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brown is one of the few colors I don't have. I tried Levenger Cocoa a few years ago but it didn't appeal to me.

Digging around, I may have settled on De Atramentis Khacki. The color is fairly unique, almost tan, for a brown ink. I am also trying to branch out beyond Private Reserve and Noodler's. De Atramentis is one of many ink manufacturers that I do not have ink from.

Other browns that were highly regarded and made the "research more" list:

J Herbin - Lie de The - a favorite of SBRE Brown

J Herbin - Terre de Feu - another favorite of SBRE Brown

J Herbin - Café des Isles

Diamine - Ancient Copper - a favorite of Brian Goulet. Some say it tends to the orange side of brown

Diamine - Golden Brown

Diamine - Ochre

Waterman - Absolute (Havana) Brown

Montblanc - Toffee Brown

Noodler's makes several browns of which Walnut is mentioned often. Several reviews state it is almost black, so it may be the deepest brown.

Private Reserve - Chocolat and Chocolate Fast Dry

Diamine Rustic Brown and Noodler's Beaver Brown are both reddish brown. Nice inks.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I have Noodler's Polar Brown, which mostly comes out as a tan-ish color and is only brown when layered. It also shades quite a bit. So if you're looking for a true brown it won't work, but if you want a brown-ish shading ink it would work.

Hi

I have been using Pelikan brown over the last week or so and on the cream paper I normally write on it comes out as nice sepia colour and goes with the paper I use really well.

Paul

I have more bottles of brown ink than any other color. Try De Atramentis Tobacco or Stipula Sepia. I find Diamine Ochre hard to flush with a high potential to stain, looks great though.

Private Reserve Black Cherry.

Not brown enough ? Tough !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Brown is one of the few colors I don't have. I tried Levenger Cocoa a few years ago but it didn't appeal to me.

Digging around, I may have settled on De Atramentis Khacki. The color is fairly unique, almost tan, for a brown ink. I am also trying to branch out beyond Private Reserve and Noodler's. De Atramentis is one of many ink manufacturers that I do not have ink from.

Other browns that were highly regarded and made the "research more" list:

J Herbin - Lie de The - a favorite of SBRE Brown

J Herbin - Terre de Feu - another favorite of SBRE Brown

J Herbin - Café des Isles

Diamine - Ancient Copper - a favorite of Brian Goulet. Some say it tends to the orange side of brown

Diamine - Golden Brown

Diamine - Ochre

Waterman - Absolute (Havana) Brown

Montblanc - Toffee Brown

Noodler's makes several browns of which Walnut is mentioned often. Several reviews state it is almost black, so it may be the deepest brown.

Private Reserve - Chocolat and Chocolate Fast Dry

Hmm. That Waterman is interesting, looks like it will wash nicely if I dare get into that with my sketching!

Hi,

I cannot think of a better place to start than the amazing 2-part survey of 32 Sepia Toned Inks by Member dcpritch.

Here's Part One https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/209494-sepia-toned-ink-comparison-32-inks/?p=2176436

Bye,

S1

:notworthy1: Ohhhh yeah, I found this browsing on my lunch hour today. GOLD MINE OF INFORMATION! Thanks!

Diamine Rustic Brown and Noodler's Beaver Brown are both reddish brown. Nice inks.

I do like my Noodler's black, I'll check out the Beaver Brown.

I have Noodler's Polar Brown, which mostly comes out as a tan-ish color and is only brown when layered. It also shades quite a bit. So if you're looking for a true brown it won't work, but if you want a brown-ish shading ink it would work.

Thanks for the tip.

Hi

I have been using Pelikan brown over the last week or so and on the cream paper I normally write on it comes out as nice sepia colour and goes with the paper I use really well.

Paul

I'll add that to the list, thanks.

Herbin Cacao du Brezil

Onto the list it goes :)

I have more bottles of brown ink than any other color. Try De Atramentis Tobacco or Stipula Sepia. I find Diamine Ochre hard to flush with a high potential to stain, looks great though.

Hard to flush, that's an important fact, sometimes the pen lays idle for a few days... :rolleyes:

Private Reserve Black Cherry.

Not brown enough ? Tough !

Too funny, with a suggestion like that, how can I help but check it out?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Edited by weltyj

Try De Atramentis Tobacco .

Warning!!! Warning! Danger! Will Robinson Danger!

Goulet lists De Atramentis Tobacco among the scented inks. It supposedly smells like pipe tobacco.

Warning!!! Warning! Danger! Will Robinson Danger!

Goulet lists De Atramentis Tobacco among the scented inks. It supposedly smells like pipe tobacco.

I thought that was the case, kind of a non-starter for me.

---

After reviewing the inks given here, using a scientific method of analysis so secret I cannot describe the details (but a nice ale was required for hydration ;) ), I have come down to this:

I decided it might be fun to try washing a little with the sketches I try.

These two inks are in a dead heat for my next ink purchase:

1. Waterman Havanna (original suggestion from pencils+pens)
  2. Private Reserve Black Cherry (original suggestion from Sasha Royale)

All you folks here at FPN are really amazing with your very helpful information. Thank you all!

Now where'd I put that coin, er, uh, I mean super duper decision algorithm ? :D

Edited by weltyj

I have had samples of the following:

Monteverde Brown

Noodler's Walnut

Noodler's #41 brown

I didn't really care for Walnut - at least when I tried it. Still have quite a bit and may try it again.I did like the Monteverde Brown - light to medium color; just got the #41 a few weeks ago and haven't tried it yet.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Noodler's Kiowa Pecan, though slow to dry, is fantastic; a beautiful color and the shading is to die for.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I draw for a living (here's an old thread with some of my sketches: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/233491-what-i-do/ ) My favorite brown drawing ink is Pilot Iroshizuku Yama Guri, which is a nicely saturated chestnut brown. Beautiful properties, and it drys pretty fast. Awesome dark sepia color.

My other favorite brown is Rohrer & Klingner Sepia. This ink is less saturated than the Yama Guri, and thus is lighter on the page when dry. But it shows super-beautiful shading. I love to use it with my stubs. The color is a classic sepia - a warm brownish-grey with a vague violet tinge. Beautiful!

Learning from the past does not mean living in the past.

I have had samples of the following:

Monteverde Brown

Noodler's Walnut

Noodler's #41 brown

I didn't really care for Walnut - at least when I tried it. Still have quite a bit and may try it again.I did like the Monteverde Brown - light to medium color; just got the #41 a few weeks ago and haven't tried it yet.

The Monteverde does look nice, but the drying time looks too long on it. It is critical for me at this moment in my adventure. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Noodler's Kiowa Pecan, though slow to dry, is fantastic; a beautiful color and the shading is to die for.

I had that on my list to check, but like many others had to reject it because of the drying time. Thanks! :)

I draw for a living (here's an old thread with some of my sketches: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/233491-what-i-do/ ) My favorite brown drawing ink is Pilot Iroshizuku Yama Guri, which is a nicely saturated chestnut brown. Beautiful properties, and it drys pretty fast. Awesome dark sepia color.

My other favorite brown is Rohrer & Klingner Sepia. This ink is less saturated than the Yama Guri, and thus is lighter on the page when dry. But it shows super-beautiful shading. I love to use it with my stubs. The color is a classic sepia - a warm brownish-grey with a vague violet tinge. Beautiful!

I have a close connection with architects, my daughter is finishing her bachelor's in architecture this year, and looks like she's headed for historic preservation (she likes the old classical buildings). She's tried to give me some sketching tips over the past year (in a remarkably mature way). Anyway it makes it meaningful for me to get a suggestion from an architect :) Nice work you have there. I find those colors you suggested interesting, the reviews I saw make them look closer to grey than brown or sepia though, is that really the case or is it more likely my laptop with an uncalibrated color screen giving me that impression? Thanks for the suggestions!

Edited by weltyj

I'd call the Yama Guri and the R&K Sepia "classic sepia" colors, which in my experience are warm greyish browns. The Yama Guri is "browner" than the R&K. Both are highly recommended. The Yama Guri has the happy property of being quicker to dry as well.

If your daughter like classical buildings, she doesn't necessarily need to go into preservation, unless that's specifically her passion. She could come to work for me, or another contemporary classical architect. I'd be happy to talk to her about her career, anytime.

Learning from the past does not mean living in the past.

After trying several browns, I have stayed in Visconti Sepia as my brown ink, and 3/4 of my letters are written with it. The flow is perfect; not too wet, not too dry. No feathering and no bleeding even in 60g printer paper. It's got one of the most charming shadings I have seen.

“Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands. Shaking off with one mighty effort the fetters of Habit, the leaden weight of Routine, the cloak of many Cares and the slavery of Civilization, man feels once more happy.” - Sir Richard. F. Burton

Many many thanks again for all the suggestions and information about inks. I've ordered these 2 for now:

Pilot Iroshizuku Yama Guri

Waterman Havanna Brown

I'll post back to this thread when I have the inks and had a chance to try them out and let you all know what how they work for me.