Noodler's Ink Southwestern Usa Uv Test

mckenzif

Southwestern USA UV Test

From the high desert Four Corners area in northwestern New Mexico.

In an East facing untinted window, I put the ink samples taped against the glass.

For all (except for Noodler's Bad Blue Heron) the test ran from May 4 through September 2, 2013, a total of 121 days.

The Bad Blue Heron test ran from 4 June through September 2, 2013, a total of 90 days.

All the inks were Noodler's except for the 'generic ink' sample for comparison of Sheaffer Skrip Black.

I applied the ink to 24 pound copy paper with a Q-tip to get a nice thick line. I then cut the paper in half, putting one side in a dark closet, the other side taped in the window.

I used 24 pound copy paper as it is a little heavier than generic 20 pound and would hold up better for testing purposes. Purchased it in a local office supply store.

The labels naming the inks were done in pencil. It looks like normal graphite pencil writing does not fade. (It can be erased, though, of course.)

UV is extremely intense here. It is so strong I can read words written in 'invisible' Noodler's Blue Ghost in full sunlight.

Noodler's Black Inks Tested:
The Heart of Darkness
Bad Black Moccasin
Bulletproof Black
Polar Black

fpn_1378183775__scanner_black_96dpi.png

Notes on the black inks:

They all did very well with the exception of Sheaffer Skrip Black which I consider a 'fail' in the UV department. But it was a good choice for a generic ink comparison.

I would vote for Polar Black as staying the darkest.

Noodler's Colored Inks Tested:
Polar Blue
Bad Belted Kingfisher
Luxury Blue
Legal Lapis
Socrates
Fox Red

fpn_1378183862__scanner_color_96dpi.png

fpn_1378183643__scanner_bad_blue_heron_9

Notes on the colored inks:

The blues and blue-blacks held up very well.

The Violet and Red faded. I really did not expect them to hold up to the strong UV being in the 'pink/red' family.

It rained pretty hard a few times and a bit of water dripped onto the paper. The Bad Belted Kingfisher did 'run'. Don't know why only that one had problems. This was just a UV test, so maybe in future I will test for 'rain drops'.

General Notes:

The paper reacted to the sunlight, showing some yellowing and crispiness (especially after the raindrops dried). That would also be an issue if you want to preserve your 'memoires' and dropped the book somewhere in the desert. A test of paper is outside the possibility for me. Perhaps others in the forum have resources for that.

Edit: See next post for big pic.

Edited by mckenzif

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mckenzif

• Fuzzy_Bear

• amberleadavis

• TassoBarbasso

Adding a bit larger photograph to show additional detail. Taken by camera as opposed to scanned in my printer. (Still getting used to the pic upload process!)

P.S. Taken outdoors taped to the side of the building.

fpn_1378189489__734_x_601_camera_all_96d

Edited by mckenzif

• 2 years later...

Found several UV/fade tests done on fountain pen inks by Jamie Grossman over at Hudson Valley Sketches. She did the testing 2011-2012 in collaboration with Goulet Pens. Several posts in the topic:
http://hudsonvalleysketches.blogspot.com/search/label/lightfastness%20tests

An interview between Jamie and Brian Goulet of Goulet Pens is available on Youtube (interview starts at the 10 minute mark):

Write Time 2/15/12- Ink Nouveau
The Goulet Pen Company
Uploaded on Feb 15, 2012

www.GouletPens.com www.InkNouveau.com
Special guest Jamie Grossman of Hudson Valley Sketches joins us to talk about ink washing, and her Noodler's Eternal ink UV test.

The Polar inks did really well. Also like the colour that Legal Lapis changed to (Though not so significant a change.).

Thanks for this! :)

Thank you! I love these tests. If you ever want a comparison, add BSB which is a known fader. You'll be surprised.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 weeks later...

I've updated my long term. BSB is just about gone. King Philip Requiem is gone! It's at just under 4 months.

I'm north of Dallas.

Peace and Understanding

Once again these are fabulous

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY