Modern Soft/flex/semiflex Pen Reccos? (Please Dont Say The Falcon! :)

jameskachan

I have both a Fine Nib, Metal Pilot/Namiki Falcon,

as well as a Stipula Model T ( It's a Titanium Nib, sorta Medium in size, and with some pressure it is semi flex/soft)

Everyone and their brother talks about Flex and either Vintage or the Falcon. I'd like to hear some pen nerds feedback on other options, what else is out there?, and what are they like?

I was checking out the new flex nibs at Edison, featured here:

http://edisonpen.com/index.cfm/2013/6/27/Edison-Offering-Richard-Binder-14k-Full-Flex-Nibs

These look promising, however I really dont care for the look of most Edison pens they would go on.

I much prefer the look of say, a Mont Blanc, or the metal Falcon - sleek, and modern.

I'd love to be surprised by a pen I've never heard of or researched! Anyone have any recommendations?

Edited by jameskachan

life

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• heymatthew

• Pterodactylus

• c4bb0ose

• ziptrickhead

Drop twenty bucks on a Noodler's Ahab. Not very exotic or rare...it just work and works well. I have one and it's performed flawlessly from day one. Just be sure to clean it well before you use it.

The Edison flex nibs are ground by Richard Binder. If you want a modern pen with a classic plain look then consider getting a Pelikan and one of the M400 flex nibs from Binder. It's not a cheap option but probably the best choice for what you desire.

If you read on Binder's site though, he doesn't make his nibs wet noodles. I've never used one myself (thought about ordering one but bought a vintage recently instead) but I'm guessing it'll be a nicer flex nib than the Falcons. One thing to note is that Namiki doesn't advertise their Falcons as true flex nibs, but it's just kind of the closest production option you can get that is modern so a lot of people bring it up. It's just really a soft nib for regular writing.

The Noodler's pens flex a lot, but require a lot of pressure and aren't really responsive.

Message me about nib work in NYC

Instagram | YouTube

I've got a Pilot Custom 74 Soft Fine nib (can also get Soft Medium) put Platinum and Sailor also make soft nibs. They aren't wet noodles by any means, less than the Falcon I suspect and certainly less than the titanium nib or Konrads, but still good flex and the flex feels really good when writing. I mean it flexes fairly easily and very smoothly. The pens can be had for not outrageous prices, at least the Pilot and Platinum ones, on Ebay shops. I'm really quite fond of mine, so I'd suggest giving them a look.

I just got one of the Binder Flex nibs in Fine for my Edison Morgan 2013 LEE and it's an exceptional nib. Light years beyond the Namiki Falcon(s) I've had (but I also paid more for the nib than I did the whole Falcon). I would second the recommendation to get an RB flex nib for a Pelikan M200 or something similar if you don't like the Edison pens.

The Noodler's pens are fun to play with. I have a few and like them to play with.

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

No one mentioned Danitrio yet? Lots of soft options with EEF, EF, F and M...nice, lightweight, but thick body for comfortable extended writing sessions, and the nib! Big and shiny and cool (check out that flaming wheel design)!

I suppose you can argue it's not so much "sleek and modern" as traditional and fat...but if you're just looking for flexy type nibs, they'll definitely fit the bill.

They're just a bit on the pricey side, but I do believe Chatterley Luxuries is having a sale right now:

https://chatterleyluxuries.com/product-category/danitrio/

Oh, and here's a picture, just because. ;) Nib is EEF and I love it to bits.

P1050672 by Jiadepix, on Flickr

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

The Namiki Falcon nib isn't truly flexible but I really want one with Mottishaw's flex or Spencerian modification.

On the inexpensive side the Dilli from fountainpenrevolution.com has some good reviews. They are also available from amazon.com. My Noodlers Konrad was a lemon so I can't in all fairness recommend one. Those who have been lucky with their Noodlers pens out of the box seem to like them.

Oh, and here's a picture, just because. ;) Nib is EEF and I love it to bits.

Oh wow!!!!

Im my experience, the Montblanc Classic (not Classique) has a really nice soft, maybe slightly flexible nib. I'm not sure of the MB Generation does too, but that was the successor to the Classic. Both are pretty cheap (for MB standards), because neither are particularly well known to FP collectors. It got my Classic for $99 on the Bay. The Classic is shaped more like a German pen from the 60s (Lamy 2000) rather than the classic cigar shape of the Meisterstuck series.

Modern Cross pens like the Apogee, Suavage and C-Series have very soft, springy 18kt gold nibs that actually produce nice line variation (those can be has quite cheaply, again, under-appreciated by the FP community).

I would also second the recommendation of the soft Pilot nibs. Very pleasant to write with. Platinum also makes soft versions of their nibs.

If you have money to burn you could take a look at OMAS. Their nibs from the 80s and 90s were great and their modern extra flessible nibs I hear are good as well.

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I think that the soft-fine/soft-medium Custom 74 from Pilot are a pleasure to write with. They offer quite a bit of line variation for a modern pen. Brian Goulet also just put up a review on the Platinum Cool fine point pen on his blog, and it offers some flexibility. Is a demonstrator and comes with a converter for $42.

I think that the soft-fine/soft-medium Custom 74 from Pilot are a pleasure to write with. They offer quite a bit of line variation for a modern pen. Brian Goulet also just put up a review on the Platinum Cool fine point pen on his blog, and it offers some flexibility. Is a demonstrator and comes with a converter for $42.

I got my Platinum Cool today and you have to push quite hard to get any sort of flex from it. I absolutely love the pen though. It's a good size and surprisingly well-made. I hate the gold converter so I sanded off the gold and am left with an "almost silver" brushed finish which contrasts horribly with the chrome finish on the rest of the pen so I think I'm going to disassemble the converter tonight and paint it black with some matte paint. I wouldn't classify the Cool as a flex pen, though.

Perhaps a nib modification could be done???

Sigh, all those semi-flex Pelikan 140's and Geha 790's in the world, with 'modern' plastic gasket....and not the least bit fragile ...but they are 'vintage'...can't be, I was a kid then....quite modern and up to date...used ones are cheaper, just like a pen made last year.

140 is medium-small but posts long, the 790 is standard sized, posts well too. Great balance on them.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

How modern and how expensive? I have an OMAS Italia '90 with some nice flex, and many Paragons of that vintage are reasonably flexible.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

They are not wet noodles, but Pilot #10 and #15 FA nibs (they are called Falcon nibs but not the beak shaped Namiki Falcon nib) are true flex nibs, Pilot custom 742, 743, 645, heritage 912 models do hold either of those two nibs. ( 742 and heritage 912 holds #10, 743 abd 845 #15)

Edited by cbaytan

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most....

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

I'll echo the Pilot FA nib, just got one on a Custom 742, and it is true vintage quality flex. There have been some reports of feeds not keeping up, but filled with Pilot Blue Black it is writing quite well for me. It is actually a bit of a challenge not to flex, very soft. I might have the point ground down a little more, currently it writes about a fine medium, and quite wet. It would be better for my purposes to have a finer line at baseline. I might send it to Mike It Work for an xf or xxf.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg