Platinum Desk 14K Pens And Desk Base

hari317

Thanks for posting the translated link, much appreciated.

:-)

I've read the translation a few times now (and keeping in mind that I know only three phrases in Japanese) but I'm not getting that there is a difference in formuation between the ink in the cartridges and the ink in the bottle.

What it seems to say (at least, to me it seems to say) that prior to the introduction of their bottled Carbon ink, cartoonists and anime artists were emptying cartridges into a bottle in order to use it (with their dip pens, presumably). And so Platinum decided to provide Carbon ink in bottles.

It also seems to say (in the Carbon ink cartridge description) that, in addition to the Carbon pen (DP-800S), Carbon ink cartridges could be used in their Century slip-seal pens, the Plaisir, and the Preppy.

I'm surprised that they recommend the Preppy. I didn't know that it had any special construction that kept ink from drying for extended periods of non-use, as the slip-seal Century and the Plaisir apparently do.

They also seem say that their Carbon ink is not water-soluble when dry. But I'm still okay with trying it out in a Pilot Penmanship -- I have Rapido-eze in my cleaning arsenal Just In Case.

;-)

-- Constance

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• conib

• 51ISH

• theadityajain

i had one question Hari.. Have you tried using converters with it? it takes platinum priority converter or international one??

Hi Mohit, no not yet, still on cartridges. It takes the standard Platinum cartridge, so if at all, I think it will take the platinum proprietary converter only.

Platinum does sell a conversion kit for use with international cartridges, I have several of these that I got bundled with my other platinum pens. I am not sure they are designed to hold converters though...

HTH.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

That's the impression I got when i read through the Platinum website regarding their carbon ink. Pls see the entries for the bottled ink as well as the cartridge carbon ink in the translated link below.

LINK.

HTH

Hari

I've found an English-language page that Platinum has posted about their inks:

http://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/products/spare/ink/eink.html

About mid-page, under the heading of "Cartridge type carbon ink for carbon fountain pen" (where the Carbon Black ink cartridges are displayed), it says that, in addition to the Carbon Desk Pen, the Carbon Black ink cartridges are

"... for use with the CENTURY, Plaisir and Preppy fountain pens, which feature a “slip and seal” mechanism."

So the Preppy has a slip and seal mechanism???

-- Constance

I am sure someone who knows will come along and answer. Unfortunately, I have never handled or even seen a Platinum Preppy up close.

Regards

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I'm wondering if anyone has found it possible to remove the Platinum Desk Pen's nib and feed for cleaning (and then be able to replace it properly, of course!)

This pen looks to be very similar (except perhaps for the details of the feed) to Platinum's Carbon desk pen, and so if nib and feed removal and replacement works for this one, I'm thinking it should work similarly for the Carbon pen.

Well, I've got an answer to my own question (and it had been out there for a couple of weeks already when I originally asked it):

It turns out that there's a "Disassembly Line" YouTube video specifically on the Platinum Carbon Desk Pen:

It shows that in order to remove the nib and feed, there's an adapter that screws into the section (onto which the barrel is screwed) that needs to be removed first. So, the nib and feed are removed from the barrel end of the section rather than the nib end.

-- Constance