Waterman South Seas Blue

wimg

I am looking for some suggestions as to what to mix with South Sea Blue for an interesting color.

Any ideas?

"Hey, Cameron. You realize if we played by the rules right now we'd be in gym?"

. . . . Ferris B.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• ztikmaen

• Bo Bo Olson

• LYTH

No offence meant (honestly), but I find this ink to be a genuine -- but not at all boring -- turquoise.

If you need a new colour, just buy another ink e.g. starting off with Kensington Blue or ku-jaku (plus dozens of others).

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Just received this ink today, having only ever used parker up till now.

I have to say this ink is awesome, truly I am really impressed.

Seems to me quite unique.

I am however just a novice so if there's a better ink out there I really would like to see it.

I am looking for some suggestions as to what to mix with South Sea Blue for an interesting color.

Any ideas?

1:1 mix of Waterman south seas with Waterman Florida blue creates a very nice blue.

I find south seas somehow too intense to use it as is. Gives me a headache. For turquoise i prefer Pelikan.

Edited by Blade Runner

• 2 months later...

Waterman South Sea Blue is a great ink. It behaves well in every pen I own, and shades well. The only bad thing is that depending on the nib width and wetness of a pen (as shown in the original scans) it looks like a different color in different pens.

Overall just a lovely ink, a great one to have in your collection. Bright but not so wild that you can't use it daily.

I do have a small mix that is 6 parts SSB, 1 part noodler's heart of darkness. This adds a hint of dark to the ink, great shading, and makes it fairly waterfast (about 60% remains after a hot water soak).

Just love it, cannot recommend it enough.

Now if only Noodler's would make a refillable dry-erase marker, I would buy a lifetime supply....

Thanks for the review.One of my favourite turquoise colours.Always have a bottle on hand.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my favorite ink in my Ductus. The cartridge version is quite a bit darker than its bottled sibling. Nice review, thanks.

It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.

Henry David Thoreau

I -need- this ink.... :embarrassed_smile: it will most definitely be in my next ink order, along with a blue-black as soon as I choose one. Thanks for the review! Seeing it with a variety of nibs and pens (wet and dry writers) is immensely helpful!

Thanks for your review wimg!

I've mixed SSB and Waterman Black for years (with no trouble incompatibility issues) for colors ranging from a dark turquoise to a Blue-Black. Play around with ratios to get the color you want.

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

Would anybody happen to know which Diamine ink would be similar to this, except a tad darker?

I was thinking the Florida Blue or Mediterranean Blue might be good?

Thanks

My favorite blue ink, and the one I use most, is a mix of Waterman SSB and Waterman Blue-Black. I found the SSB to be just a little too light, and I suppose I could just go out and buy another color of blue, but I have two large bottles of the ones I mentioned, so I went ahead and mixed them. I either do half and half, or 3/4 SSB and 1/4 blue-black.

Any ideas?

"Wer schweigt, stimmt zu."

Hi there,

Would anybody happen to know which Diamine ink would be similar to this, except a tad darker?

Thanks

Hi, I have Diamine Asa, which reminds me of SSB and Sheaffer's Peacock Blue (albeit shades lighter). It is an exquisite writer that flows well from a number of pens. I have Asa in Waterman Carene and Laureat. I want it in a broader nib to achieve greater shading, so am waiting for a pen order to come through! Good luck!

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

I used to write with this ink when I was a student. Quite an expressive ink it was.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Hi there,

Thanks

Hi, I have Diamine Asa, which reminds me of SSB and Sheaffer's Peacock Blue (albeit shades lighter). It is an exquisite writer that flows well from a number of pens. I have Asa in Waterman Carene and Laureat. I want it in a broader nib to achieve greater shading, so am waiting for a pen order to come through! Good luck!

Ooh okay, that does look nice :)

Did you not find it too dark in comparison to SSB? Because I like the light green tinge that SSB has too.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Asa is a fantastic color, but quite a different color than SSB. I'd check the Diamine site though, as they have an astonishing variety of blues. You may also want to try Edelstein Topaz. It's not quite SSB, but it's pretty close.

Edited by mori45

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

If I mix this with black and blue will it become a slightly darker shade, for example like Diamine Florida Blue?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

ztikmaen,

Why not buy an other ink, instead of mixing.

IMO in I don't do much mixing, sooner or later you are going to over mix and end up with something murky and have wasted all that money.

It is after all a 'classic' ink, of its shade and tone.

I have some turquoise inks, Lamy, Waterman, Blue Pervenche, Edelstein Topaz, and Pelikan.

That is just a drop in the bucket. :puddle:

Each are different.

(sp)Gullet has many Turquoise inks, where you can find what ever tone you need, want or wish, with out 'ruining' a nice classic ink.

There are more than what he has, but it's a great place to start.

Back in the day when this thread was started it was much harder to lay hands on inks than now in modern times. :roflmho:

I could see having to self mix for a tone and shade needed back in the primitive days of '05. But today... Some one's got exactly the tone and shade you have in your mind, and it will be an ink that sparkles, in it's formulation.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Oh, I forgot : Very nice review Wim.

I used SSB in cartridge in a Man 100 (flexibl Super 6 nib). It's wonderful !

LYTH

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee402/LYTH1/031.jpg

i love this ink,it's my daily use.My father use the same and my grandfather was using it too....hope for my son....;)

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.