My Pair Of 100Th Anniversary (Historical) Pens

penmanila

the fountain pen arrived yesterday, prompting this mini-review... to recap, i received the rollerball version of this pen as a gift from a friend maybe three years ago, and had always hankered since for the FP version, attracted by the retro styling (they called this the "historical" as opposed to the starwalker 100 years). i saw one at the auction at the chicago pen show this year and made too feeble a bid on it, and regretted when it went to someone else. then it came up in the FPN classifieds at a good price, and this time i didn't let go.

side by side in a case, it's hard to tell the difference between the RB and the FP:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5510/9584982449_7425eea239_z.jpg

taken out, the FP (on top) is just a tad longer than the RB (and no, the caps don't switch):

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7329/9587774794_d75d6b11ce_z.jpg

and here they are uncapped:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2860/9587776560_6ab4f8fc00_z.jpg

the nib comes out and retracts through a push-pull slider on the barrel. (you can't screw on the cap with the nib out.) perplexing for the absolute newbie ("where the heck's the nib?!") and it took me a bit to figure out as i kept trying to turn the butt of the pen as i would with a safety, but pretty easy and simple once you get the hang of it.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5515/9584986293_af4de527a0_z.jpg

in the closed position, you can unscrew the rear of the pen to expose a carrier for the cartridge. (yes, it's a bit of a surprise if not a disappointment to realize that such a top-of-the-line pen uses cartridges and nothing but.)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7440/9584987979_5c02103d80_z.jpg

i'll post a writing sample soon, but suffice it for now to say that its medium nib writes smoothly; mine was firm with no hint of flex or springiness, which i suppose makes it ideal for notetaking.

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penmanila

• sunnerd

• orfew

• meiers

I have the fountain pen, and recently added the pencil and ballpoint. I very much like the look of these and they are also very comfortable to write with. The fountain pen, in particular, is one of my favorite writers. Actually, it's one of my favorite pens if I was forced to choose. I am on the lookout for a rollerball to complete the set.

Congratulations on the purchase.

Jeff

I love the look of this pen! It is definitely a must-buy for the future. :)

Thanks for sharing.

I have the fountain pen; I had the medium nib ground to a stubbish fine, and it is wonderful! I found mine at my local brick & mortar and got a great deal on it. :)

I used to have the mechanical pencil, but it never got any pocket time and it wasn't part of a set, so I sold it to someone who is enjoying it more than I did.

I might have to find one of those rollerballs, though - it's always good to have a non-FP with you if someone needs to borrow a pen!

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

Nice set. Try to get the two pen case that was made specially for it. The one with red stitching. It's the best looking modern MB case.

I really like the look of this set. Enjoy them both for years to come.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

I enjoyed reading your review.

I have the fountain pen and the ballpoint pen. They are both lovely writing instruments.

Edited by meiers

I love this model. The FP is really good looking and it is my usual travel pen, with the nib regrinded by Greg.

As the retraction mechanism can inadvertently scratch the barrel, I've bought another one for collection when I saw it on sale at a pen shop in Singapore (apparently people don't buy it!) Best $350 spent on a modern MB.

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

That you for the review and photos. They are lovely pens. I've been contemplating getting one as I like the unusual shape. Hadn't realised it had a retractable nib, having recently bought the Hertitage pen I really like this feature. I have though a 147 which only takes cartridges and like you had to realised this was a cartridge pen, I very rarely use the 147 for this reason even though it is a great writer.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

I love this model. The FP is really good looking and it is my usual travel pen, with the nib regrinded by Greg.

As the retraction mechanism can inadvertently scratch the barrel, I've bought another one for collection when I saw it on sale at a pen shop in Singapore (apparently people don't buy it!) Best $350 spent on a modern MB.

Wow. Which shop is this?

Wow. Which shop is this?

Exactly my thoughts as well. I would take one today if I could get it at that price.

That you for the review and photos. They are lovely pens. I've been contemplating getting one as I like the unusual shape. Hadn't realised it had a retractable nib, having recently bought the Hertitage pen I really like this feature. I have though a 147 which only takes cartridges and like you had to realised this was a cartridge pen, I very rarely use the 147 for this reason even though it is a great writer.

I actually prefer cartridges! My next Mb might be a 147. Although it also depends on what the store has in stock for me to try.

I actually prefer cartridges! My next Mb might be a 147. Although it also depends on what the store has in stock for me to try.

I love my 147, it is a great pen.

I bought mine from penclassic back in 2010. I think they have since gone out of business.

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

Dude. The uncapped rollerball looks like a bullet.

Totally funky.

Putting that aside, I wasn't too thrilled with the shape of the capped pens, but once uncapped, they look surprisingly harmonious---the fountain pen, especially so. Is it just me or is the breather hold shaped like the MB star? I don't think I've ever seen a MB pen like that before.

I hope you can post a closeup of the nib when you give us a writing sample! Also, does the thinnest part of the pen---that skinny section in the middle of the barrel---ever get in your way when writing? Can you feel the protruding top and bottom edges, I mean?

Thanks for sharing. =D

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

This is a nib shot I took back in 2009 when I got my first example.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3601/3507572474_8ab817bc44_z.jpg

Best regards, Kai