The Deccan Yematso - A New Model From Deccan Pens, Hyderabad

shrujaya

This is about the pen that I bought recently (on 21 August 2013) from Deccan Pen Stores, Hyderabad. When Umair showed me this pen I thought I’d seen this pen before and probably hadn’t bought it then, and told so to Umair. He said this was a recent model and I couldn’t have seen it before. I wondered for a while and then it struck...

FLASHBACK ALERT!!!

I was in some way part of Hari’s novel project where he had wanted Deccan to make him an ebonite pen modelled on the Pelikan M800 that could hold a Pelikan screw-in nib unit. It was codenamed the Yematso Project. By virtue of living in Hyderabad, I became the messenger, informer, reminder-er (?), and finally, courier...was generally liaising between Hari and Deccan. In fact, I got to see this Pelikanised Deccan FP and hold it, before Hari could see it, who had actually thought of it in the first place. So, that was a rare privilege. That pen can be seen here...

FLASHBACK OVER..

All this came back to me in a while, but when Umair showed it to me, I thought, “Great...another Pelikan inspired pen from Deccan...this time the M800...” The last time they did one, it was modelled on the Pelikan 120 and Hari had reviewed it here...they called it the Pelkan...

That day, coincidentally, I had my blue striated M800 in my pocket and Umair showed some interest and wanted to see it...he appeared to be delighted... I now feel, my M800 must have reminded him of their new model and it was then that he fetched this pen and showed it to me...

My guess is that Deccan had prepared the moulds/dies to make the pen for Hari and then later decided to use that to come out with a new model...

The pen under review is good where looks are concerned and Deccan has done a fairly decent job in emulating the design, shape, and size of the original... I would say that it is a ‘tribute’ by Deccan...

The cap jewel is rather well done...what is part of the clip itself in M800 is made as the full cap jewel...attention is given to detail as you can see in the picture, except for the logo on the top... I felt, briefly, perhaps the calligraphic D might have looked good on the top...not enough space...there is a cap band too and there is a hole in it and I don’t know why or for what reason...the barrel end is also decently done, though it is a mock-piston, so can’t unscrew... just a design feature...and BTW, this is an ED filler pen...no trims in the mock-piston...

The clip is their now regular Advocate ball clip...I would have liked a ‘beaky’ clip...and they have the ‘beaky’ clip on some of their other models, and they could have fixed one for this model too...I am slightly disappointed here...the ‘beaky’ clip could have given a sense of completion to the pen... I told this to Umair, and he had also brought out their earlier Pelkan model (recent version), which had the ‘beaky’ clip... I asked him if he could swap the clips, he gave both pens to the service section to see if they could do it, but they returned both pens intact saying that the diameter (on top) of the ‘beaky’ clip was small for this pen...the calligraphic D, the Deccan logo, is also seen on the cap, but on both pens I bought, this D doesn’t seem to be ‘imprinted’ properly...the forelock and the back curve look incomplete... I asked about this to Zubair, and he noticed this for the first time when I showed it to him! He said there must be something wrong with the needle that inscribes this on the cap and it doesn’t seem to press evenly on the surface...anyway, hope they rectify it soon...

Once the cap is unscrewed, it is a straightforward Deccan pen...all nicely done...nib, feeder fixed properly in the section...the nib says OLYMPIC IST QUALITY U.S.A. The flow is very good and the nib is not scratchy, but not very smooth, either...but no tripping, skipping, etc. ... easy flow...

I inked it the next day evening and I wrote this post in longhand first with this pen yesterday...nice fine line, I would have liked it to be a slightly more thicker... I normally don’t meddle with the original fittings and let them be, but I might go back and ask Deccan to fit this pen with a Deccan medium and also the ‘beaky’ clip...

I bought swirly green and swirly brown, but seem to like the green one better, and that is what I inked first...

I want to call it the DECCAN YEMATSO...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/01-DeccanYematso-capped_zpsbb802f7f.jpg

The Deccan Yematso...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/02-DeccanYematso-sectionampclip_zps40855cd5.jpg

Section and clip

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/03-DeccanYematso-caplogo_zps6e3d43d0.jpg

Yematso cap logo

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/04-DeccanYematso-M800ampYematso_zps4e7336ff.jpg

Both pens...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/05-DeccanYematso-capjewels_zps8a3ccf7f.jpg

Cap jewels of both pens...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/06-DeccanYematso-capjewelyematso_zpsb9ad9502.jpg

Yematso cap jewel

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/07-DeccanYematso-closeup_zps19387893.jpg

Close-up

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/08-DeccanYematso-pistonandmock_zps519c21d6.jpg

M800 piston and Yematso mock piston

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/09-DeccanYematso-writingsample_zps85a26f2a.jpg

Writing sample

[http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/10-DeccanYematso-beakycappens_zpse9fed540.jpg

The other pens by Deccan with the ‘beaky cap’

Yup...that’s it...and thanks for seeing...comments are welcome...

Shrujaya

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• shrujaya

• Mesu

• de_pen_dent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice review.. thanks for sharing

I got mine in the first week of August. The green ebonite in my pen is plain green.

Pic attached.

post-104386-0-09807300-1377354227_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mesu

Thanks for a nice review ..

Any ink window on barrel like M800 pelikan ??

Regards ,

Baaz

The Yematsos look good, looking forward to receiving my examples. Thanks for sharing and thanks to you Jai, if not for your selfless help, I could not have got even half of the Deccan pens that I have today. Not to mention the several custom orders that Deccan have executed for me over the years with you as my mythological Sanjay.

Baaz, I don't think there is any ink view window, that is impossible to provide on a fully ebonite pen.

Regards,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I'm curious how they achieved two different colours on the barrel while still making it useful as an eyedropper. Since I'm pretty sure ebonite stock would not be available with an abrupt shift between a swirly green and black part, I assume that only the green part contains ink and the black part is attached to it either mechanically or glued?

(The bullet pen also looks different at the bottom, but as far as I can tell, that is just because the last part hasn't been... uhm... whatever you call the process that creates that... effecty thingie. I really shouldn't post this late...)

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

I'm curious how they achieved two different colours on the barrel while still making it useful as an eyedropper. Since I'm pretty sure ebonite stock would not be available with an abrupt shift between a swirly green and black part, I assume that only the green part contains ink and the black part is attached to it either mechanically or glued?

(The bullet pen also looks different at the bottom, but as far as I can tell, that is just because the last part hasn't been... uhm... whatever you call the process that creates that... effecty thingie. I really shouldn't post this late...)

On Yematso, the black faux piston knob is attached, I think glued and then machined. On the Envoy, the pen is fully brushed first and then only the end is polished for the matte/gloss contrast.

HTH

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I am on the fence on this one. I love my Deccans (have an Advocate that Mesu sent me inked right now) - but I am not wild about the color scheme on this one.

Hmmmmmm.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

I am on the fence on this one. I love my Deccans (have an Advocate that Mesu sent me inked right now) - but I am not wild about the color scheme on this one.

Hmmmmmm.

Call Deccan to ask if they have any left, I was told that all are gone for the moment, but we do know that the mileage may vary depending on who you ask there. :)

Mr. Wasim told me that he would give me a call once these are ready.

Still i am calling him every alternate day to bug him about the availability :)

Edited by Mesu

I would like to have one Deccan Yematso with Pelikan 14K screw-on nib block. Could someone help me with their contact email address. How much will it cost?

Dear Hari...thanks for visiting, reading, and comments...and also for inspiration and motivation...to appreciate the finer points of writing with FPs...and for all the tempting photographs in your reviews... :D

Thanks also for answering questions of fellow FPNers on my behalf...sometimes I wouldn't know how to answer some questions...

Regards,

Shrujaya

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

Dear Mesu, Baaz, Aramchek, de-pen-dent, Mohan, bbbiswas, and Ron...

Thanks a lot for visiting, reading, and for your comments...

Mesu...the plain green one looks nice...they were already low on stocks by the time I visited...happy writing with your Yematso...

Baaz and Aramchek...your doubts have been cleared I hope...thanks for writing...

de-pen-dent...got yours yet? what about your 'Author'?

Mohan...it takes slightly less than 5 turns...

bbbiswas...I think you need to given them the Pelikan screw-in nib unit for them to construct a pen around it...there is no point in emailing them...all people are either manning the counters or are in the service section to check emails...you will have to call them...but the whole thing might take anywhere between 3 to 6 months...but you can never say with Deccan...all the best...

Ron...welcome...I will convey them your appreciation...

Regards,

Shrujaya

I would like to have one Deccan Yematso with Pelikan 14K screw-on nib block. Could someone help me with their contact email address. How much will it cost?

Agree with Shrujaya. The emails rarely get answered.

The best way would be to call them with your requirement and get a quote. Them mail them the cheque with the nib unit.

They will update you once the pen is ready.

Hope this helps.

sigh. I'm beginning to want to move to Hyderabad.

Deccan does beautiful pens.

ron

I can fully understand, sometimes i feel like that too. :)

Agree with Shrujaya. The emails rarely get answered.

All these years of interaction with Deccan, and I don't even know that they have an email ID. what is it?

...it takes slightly less than 5 turns...

High time they introduced a motor operated cap!! maybe the pencil cell can be housed in the barrel chamber. :lticaptd:

All these years of interaction with Deccan, and I don't even know that they have an email ID. what is it?

thedeccanpenstores@gmail.com

I sent an email in May and yet to get a response. If you get one, make sure to get the printout laminated :)

High time they introduced a motor operated cap!! maybe the pencil cell can be housed in the barrel chamber. :lticaptd:

Let them start with the Advocate. Mine takes 7+ turns.

Someone asked me, would this pen leak if i get it as an ED.

I told them, the threads are pretty secure. Even if a little escapes into the threads, it will dry out before it manages to reach the end of the threads :D

Let them start with the Advocate. Mine takes 7+ turns.

Advocate is their one of the best pens IMO.

But the turns blow my mind. I asked them for a Advocate with 1&1/2 turns, they customised it but took too much of time.