TwelveDrawings

I post my Waterman Phileas pen and ink drawings at www.twelvedrawings.com

post-106135-0-68712500-1376876701_thumb.jpg
post-106135-0-71909100-1376876635_thumb.jpg

Some background:

I create drawings based on words associated with Twelve Step recovery. I use definitions found in a 1934 Webster's dictionary because some subtle changes have occurred since the AA Big Book was published in 1939.

Pen and ink drawing have been a staple of popular art for centuries. I hope the artform will always endure—despite the advent of new computer software. There is a rather timeless quality about pen and ink drawings that can blur the lines between historical periods. That timelessness is an effect I deliberately try to achieve. Why? Becauase if I had one wish, it would be to help the younger reader look beyond the antique-sounding vocabulary found in recovery literature like the Big Book. Within that "grandfatherly" writing can be found very specific, definite, and practical instructions for those who wish to be freed from alcholic and addictive insanity. These illustrations are how I carry that message.

I use 9 x 12" paper and a medium Waterman fountain pen—like the one seen in the drawing called "Difference"*. You will probably notice pencil sketch marks here and there on the drawings. I try to erase them because they are distracting to some people. To be honest, I draw mostly for my Higher Power and thankfully He has the job of being perfect, not me.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TwelveDrawings

• ethernautrix

• teenytina

• MisterBoll

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing these.

Thank you for your generous and encouraging words. When I draw for myself, only nonsense comes out. When I draw for my Higher Power, they sorta make sense. Who knew a fountain pen could be a fountain of hope?

I absolutely love these. I'm dabbling in pen and ink now, having been a calligraphy novice for decades (due to a lack of dedicated time).

What have you used to build your skill in the medium? I've got Frank whatsisname's book. Wondering if you have, use, or refer to others.

----

Oh, pens, all of you are my favorite! TWSBI, Jinhao, Montblanc, Waterman, Danish Penol De Luxe flexy pen, Cross, -- I can't choose between you! That would just be wrong.

---

I absolutely love these. I'm dabbling in pen and ink now, having been a calligraphy novice for decades (due to a lack of dedicated time).

What have you used to build your skill in the medium? I've got Frank whatsisname's book. Wondering if you have, use, or refer to others.

You humble me, Tina. I'm afraid I was born with both freckles and the ability to draw....neither one within my control. Conventional art college squashed my love of this style for decades, and the love has only returned recently. I originally learned this style during high school. I spent a summer examining the exquisite black and white artwork found on the good old U.S. Dollar bill. That's no joke. I had a great magnifier and studying that linework was a Master's class in the type of work I do now. In fact, my drawings are feeble when judged by that standard. So..... my advice is get a strong lens and study the money in your pocket! Hope that helps.

Edited by TwelveDrawings

Awesome inspirational drawings! I love your shading technique.

Awesome spirit yourself, Koofle! Hope you find a drawing that speaks to you.

Very nice! What nib size is your Waterman Phileas?

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Very nice! What nib size is your Waterman Phileas?

Thank you, pmp. At first I wasn't even aware there were different sizes. (I bought my first Phileas at a Staples store closeout). When I bought my second one, I soon noticed a difference. My first drawing, "Serenity", was created with a medium nib. A later drawing titled "Self-Seeking" was done with a fine point.

As you would expect, it takes MUCH longer to finish a drawing with a fine nib, but the results are noticeably more refined. Compare the broad shading under the tree vs the tiny stippling in the center of the officer's back.

Now I use whichever tip is more appropriate for the subject.

post-106135-0-93238200-1377099508_thumb.jpg

post-106135-0-95605000-1377099719_thumb.jpg

Edited by TwelveDrawings

Wonderful drawings. No matter the subject they each convey a sense of calm. Good work and thank you for sharing.

Should you want to expand this area of your work you could get a portfolio together and approach book publishers and magazines. You will have no trouble getting work.

Wonderful drawings. No matter the subject they each convey a sense of calm. Good work and thank you for sharing.

Should you want to expand this area of your work you could get a portfolio together and approach book publishers and magazines. You will have no trouble getting work.

I am glad to hear of the calm you speak of. I work long hours on my job. So, the time I spend drawing is usually at one of my kid's sporting events, piano recitals, or parent meetings (yes, I can pay attention and draw at the same time!) Now that you mention it, these drawings reflect some much-needed hours of serenity.

Edited by TwelveDrawings

Now that you mention it, these drawings reflect some much-needed hours of serenity.

You're spreading the serenity via your drawings - to other people.

Take some time out when you can for you.

You're spreading the serenity via your drawings - to other people.

Take some time out when you can for you.

Not a bad use of time, then. And yes I am learning to take time off to enjoy interesting people. That includes circulating here. Seems like an enthusiastic and knowledgeable community.

These are fantastic. They have a definite retro feel and great whimsy (and they remind me somehow of Yukito Kishiro's work, though I just checked and I don't really see the resemblance; I wonder who I'm thinking of?). I started experimenting with pointillism and crosshatching with an FP just yesterday, mostly because the paper was so bad I couldn't get shadows/dimension any other way, so it's great to see what can be achieved with these techniques + FPs. Bravo

These are fantastic. They have a definite retro feel and great whimsy (and they remind me somehow of Yukito Kishiro's work, though I just checked and I don't really see the resemblance; I wonder who I'm thinking of?). I started experimenting with pointillism and crosshatching with an FP just yesterday, mostly because the paper was so bad I couldn't get shadows/dimension any other way, so it's great to see what can be achieved with these techniques + FPs. Bravo

How perfectly appropriate for you to be seeking ways to achieve dimensionality under the screen name "chiaroscuro"—a word not often heard in daily conversation!

I nudged myself to try different techniques but as you have found, stippling and hatching are the mainstay of pen and ink drawing. As much as I may try new techniques, the result varies very little.

My "Powerless" drawing was an attempt not to crosshatch, but it is still hatching. And my "Welfare" was an attempt to avoid stippling, but it ends up being short hatching and some scratching.

Thank you for your kind comments. -- www.twelvedrawings.com

post-106135-0-34502200-1377118830_thumb.jpg

Fantastic and inspiring! Thank you for sharing your drawings!

Glad to offer a breath of inspiration.

I browsed the Flickr account in your profile and found images of elaborate cathedrals and arched bridges. Attached is a rather moody interior view of a door with an interesting (if too-long) story behind it. The drawing is "Admit" and the story is here http://www.twelvedrawings.com/steps-admit My attempt at an arched bridge is here http://www.twelvedrawings.com/drawings/serenity_prayer/serenity-prayer-thing I hope you find something there to enjoy. -- www.twelvedrawings.com

Very well done

Very much appreciated. Here is a drawing that reminds me of your profile pic. -- www.twelvedrawings.com

Hi, I already stated elsewhere how much I like your drawings. I hope you don't rest at twelve.... :D

I understand you went to art college. Is your daily job anywhere related to art/drawing?

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~