I Broke My Unlucky Ebay Streak! 12 1/2 Poc

Centopar

I don't have much luck on eBay. There are so many of us trawling the place for vintage Watermans, and so many canny sellers, that bargains are hard to stumble across, and some of the things I've bought have disappointed a little; nibs not as good as described, condition not as nice as the pictures would suggest - I'm sure you've all been there.

But this morning, it appears that my unlucky streak broke. I'd spent £27.90 on a very faded pen that someone had just listed as "Waterman's Ideal Fountain Pen - 1908 - Made in Usa". No other details. (The original auction should still be there to look at for a little while, if you're interested.) Looking at it, I'd figured it was probably a 72 or a 72 1/2 (an eyedropper with a threaded cap from around the 1920s). And the nib looked OK (and potentially very nice), so I thought I'd take a punt on it. I was very surprised when I got it for under £30 - I'd been prepared to go quite a lot higher.

The seller had photographed it meticulously, but hadn't photographed the end where the identifying number was. So, convinced I was getting a 72 1/2, I was extremely pleased to unwrap it this morning to find I had a 12 1/2 POC - which makes it an earlier pen than I'd been expecting - and the condition was great. (There's even a bit of red wax left in the 12 1/2 POC imprint.) Threads clean and tight, no toothmarks or other dings; just discolouration. I had to clean a little crud out of the barrel, but the nib section was very nearly completely clean, and only needed a very little attention. A dab of silicone grease, and she was good to go.

And best of all, the nib is a joy. It's a medium-wet writer with really good, soft flex from M to BBB; not quite a wet noodle, but a lovely, soft, velvety pleasure to write with. This is really one of the nicest nibs I own. I've cracked open a new bottle of Fuyu Syogun to celebrate.

I am having some trouble uploading images, but I've put one of the identifying mark on the end and one of the nib and some writing on Dropbox for you to see.

Right now, I'm prevaricating a bit. I'm never going to sell it (I love this nib too much), and I'd like to add it to my daily carries if it behaves nicely; I'm not seeing any nib creep or other potential problems that are going to leave me with an inky pen wrap. I've never reblacked a pen with PMBHRPPNo.9 before, but I'd rather like to with this one. Do you guys think that would be sacrilegious, or would you go for it?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Centopar

• Uncle Red

• RMN

• LWJ2

Glad to hear you had a break, Waterman usually fetch high prices. I would be cautious about carrying your pen around. The reason why, these eyedroppers do have a tendency to "Burp" ink when the barrel gets warm causing the air to expand especially when the ink is getting low. I have a Waterman eyedropper 1910 patent which I use a lot, and will do that. so when I guess the ink is getting low l refill it. I always keep it on my desk.

Edited by Pickwick

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Aw, I tried to view the pics on dropbox but it wouldn't let me :(

----

Oh, pens, all of you are my favorite! TWSBI, Jinhao, Montblanc, Waterman, Danish Penol De Luxe flexy pen, Cross, -- I can't choose between you! That would just be wrong.

---

Hahaha, well it's the pen that matters right? Congrats on being that sumgai ;) hope its my turn soon!

My two best writers.

http://s2.postimg.org/v3a1772ft/M1000_Black_L_R.jpg..........http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1217/85960889.png

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

Congrats on the new pen! Did you pull the nib and feed? Is it a spoon feed? If it is it may be good to carry around, I have no trouble with my 72 or 72 1/2 burping. The 72 1/2 will write dry without burping. My new 472 1/2 V seems to perform just as well.

It seems that while my eBay luck has improved, my luck with pictures on the web is just as bad as ever. :unsure:

Probably Dropbox works fine but only to those with an account.

Why not use the upload function here on the FPN? there's a button for it in the bar at the top of the page...

Only restriction sofar is that maximum size is 1MB

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Congrats on the new pen! Did you pull the nib and feed? Is it a spoon feed? If it is it may be good to carry around, I have no trouble with my 72 or 72 1/2 burping. The 72 1/2 will write dry without burping. My new 472 1/2 V seems to perform just as well.

Good question: no, I didn't (the nib section was nice and clean, and I was dying to get the thing inked up). I'll take it apart when it's out of ink and have a look.

And as far as pics goes: let's try this:

fpn_1377019198__12halfnib.jpg

Edited by Centopar

That's a lovely pen and writes ... deliciously. My wife will loathe and hate you forever. ;) Fortunately you're on the other side of the Pond, so burglary is out unless we win the Lottery.

Best wishes for enjoyable writing,

Leon Jester

Roanoke, VA USA

Gorgeous!!!

Just a thought about carrying that beauty around....I don't carry any pen that is not replaceable around with me. Too many stories of lost pens, stolen bags, gravity accidents. I leave the precious ones at home where I can enjoy them without having to keep an eye on them.

Much Love--Virginia

• 1 year later...

My fondness for ringtops has cost me dearly on a couple of occasions...I keep the caps in a little drawer in my jewelry box.