M600 Tortoise?

DrCodfish

My new M800 Tortoise arrived yesteday. Having lusted for one of these since they came out I can say it is a great satisfaction to have such a pen of my own. It came with a Medium nib which I hope to exchange at Chartpack for something wider which I would then probably have modified to stub. This thing truly is a feast for the eyes.

It is noticeably larger than my M600 which has been my 'go to' pen; Always inked, ready, and in the pen stand on my desk. A big part of this preference is the nib which I purchased from, and had modified to stub by John Motishaw. The M800 does feel 'different'. The weight and balance is right for me, this pen certainly is not designed to be used with the cap posted. The different part is the girth. I suspect once I start putting time in with this beauty, my other pens, primarily Pelikans and Parkers will begin to feel 'different'.

As I was rearranging things in the pen box I lined up my small flock, an M205, the various M400's, M600, the M700 Toledo, and the 120's (including my first 'real' fountain pen puchased in the late 1960's I believe). It brought a smile to my face, I really like all of these pens for their various characteristics. This also caused me to wonder; has Pelikan ever offered a tortoise pen in the size of the current M600? In terms of size where would the 500, the tortoise with the GF cap fall?

Not that I will be looking for another pen any time soon, my checking acocunt is going to need some serious R&R for the next little while.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• da vinci

• konis

• DrCodfish

• sargetalon

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question! I've got the new 800 (gotta love it!!) and an older 400 but don't know that they made this pen in the 600 series. Will await the response from the Pel Pros!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

In terms of size where would the 500, the tortoise with the GF cap fall?

They're the same size as the vintage 400.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8522/8583017780_fee9ed27e5_z.jpg

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

This also caused me to wonder; has Pelikan ever offered a tortoise pen in the size of the current M600?

Not sure whether there was M600 tortoise of the current souveran range. But yes, there was the M600 old style tortoise (pre-1997) which has the same length as M400 but with extra gold trim.

Old style M600 tortoise and burgundy..

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/image_zps4e659c36.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/image_zps16f15e34.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/image_zps64d313af.jpg

They're the same size as the vintage 400.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8522/8583017780_fee9ed27e5_z.jpg

What a great picture. I have been admiring the 500 for a while now.

I understand they did make a 600 tortoise as well as a 250 sized model too?

There definitely an M250 tortoise, often described as a "deliberate frankenpen" made by Pelikan for Levengers in 1997. The barrel of the 250 is actually the same size and with the same trim as the older 600. Here is a pic of my M250 tortoise.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/jdanley/M250_2_zps5b170256.jpg

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I have to admit the 500 is such a looker that I could be tempted to start a fund for it. But I have a lovely older M400. Not sure what vintage; it has the engraved hen and chicks on the brown cap top and inscribed PELIKAN GUNTHER WAGNER on the bottom of the binde with OBB in white on the turning knob (I have the original OBB nib but prefer the stub nib ground by Motishaw). Any idea the age of this pen?

So perhaps I should start saving for the future release (wishful thinking) of the modern M600 tortoise. But not too soon! My wallet has a gaping wound that will take months to heal!

Daeng; You always show examples of such fantastic Pelikans, I love the burgandy. And Sarge, I had no idea there was an M250 tortoise. Are the cap and turning knob on that pen black or that deep dark brown we are familiar with on other tortoise models?

Am I correct in saying that the M2xx and M4xx all had black as opposed to brown caps?

In models M4xx, yes. You right. But in tortoise version, caps and sections are brown. In M2xx models depending on the color of the pen. Exception is latest M400 tortoise with white cap and section.

regards

Edited by konis