Blue-Black Advice

Hil64

I like Diamine a lot. I'm still looking for the right Blue-black, so which Diamine do I get- BB itself, Twilight, Denim?

All suggestions and opinions welcome, as subjective or objective as you like. But your suggestions have to be Diamine

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• corniche

• Hil64

• InvisibleMan

Well, here are my scans of the three.

fpn_1346448285__new_diamine_blue-black_r

fpn_1358793114__diamine_twilight.jpg

fpn_1351767948__diamine_denim.jpg

I think that the new Blue-Black, reformulated not long back, is one of the nicest-looking blue-blacks around. Their Midnight isn't too bad either!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Hello Hil64,

I'll give you my two cents; I own all three that you mention, (plus a lot more ;)), and to me, Denim was the biggest disappointment - in color.

I like the new blue-black, it flows beautifully and is well lubricated; the color is also what I would call, "classic."

The Twilight actually used to be my signature color, (but I got hold of a bottle where the ink lost all it's blue and was just a flat greenish color that looked lousy and I lost interest). That said, a good bottle of Twilight is a really cool color, it is conservative, but with a little pizzazz and originality.

The Denim, just looked like a flat dark blue to me.

I also have a bottle of Indigo- that's alright if you're one of those that like gray blue-blacks.

Majestic Blue is a bit striking, but it has had some spotty performance issues - mainly in ignition and flow.

I also have Midnight Blue and that is a nice ink too; a stable, middle of the road, dark blue.

Hope this helps you a little,

Sean :)

Edit: corrected typos.

Edited by S. P. Colfer

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Like Sean I own a lot of Diamine inks. The problem is that one man's blue-black is another man's blue. Or black. Or teal (I am talking to you, Parker Quink! That ain't neither blue nor black, just ewwww). Nib, feed, and paper matters as well, of course.

Did you see my little list of Diamine inks with samples using a Lamy Safari medium nib? You might find something there https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/250366-all-diamine-inks-compared/

I find Diamine Blue-Black is a medium shade. Midnight is somewhat bluer which I find friendlier. Not on the list is the Cult Pens Deep Dark Blue (also 30ml and cartridges) which is also very lovely and very dark, though with a hint of purple.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Even though it's not technically a blue-black, I give a +1 to Midnight. A very good, classy dark blue, which with a wide enough nib has a hair of red in the highlights. One of my personal favourites.

I've yet to try the reformulated Blue Black, need to get on that!

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I hav' 'em all too and I really like the blue-black. Make sure you get the new version. I don't like the Twilight because I find it too green, and I don't like the Denim because it's too chalky. The thing you really need is ECLIPSE!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Hil64 - the easiest way to make sure your Diamine Blue Black is the real deal is to just buy it direct from Diamine themselves.

They have their own webshop and sell the 30ml plastic bottles for around £2.67. Buying four of these gets you into the free postage bracket.

Hil64 - the easiest way to make sure your Diamine Blue Black is the real deal is to just buy it direct from Diamine themselves.

They have their own webshop and sell the 30ml plastic bottles for around £2.67. Buying four of these gets you into the free postage bracket.

Be aware of the fact that the 30-ml bottles -- however little they cost, and the price per ml is about the same as that of the 80-ml bottles -- have a narrow neck diameter. Big pens like an M1000 don't like that.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Diamine Prussian Blue is another possible option. You might want to check out a few of the reviews on this site.

Byron

For what it's worth, I am a fan of Diamine inks. Of the blues, I wanted something dark and wound up getting the Midnight. In all my 18 pens, it works well. Is wet, dries fast enough (whatever that means to you) looks good on paper (usually onion skin) using fine, medium and my art nibs. I've never had a problem with it. I don't think you could go wrong with it.

In any case, there are many fine people on here giving you solid advice. It will eventually be a personal choice which one you go with.

Best,

PanPan

Diamine Prussian Blue is another possible option. You might want to check out a few of the reviews on this site.

Byron

+1 Prussian blue is nice... :) Edited by carlos.q

I have a bottle of the reformulated Diamine Blue Black, along with Pelikan 4001 Blue Black and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts.I use them all for different things. Pelikan is the driest, 54th Mass is bulletproof and the Diamine is just a solid reliable blue black.It just works in virtually every pen I own.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have a bottle of the reformulated Diamine Blue Black... the Diamine is just a solid reliable blue black.It just works in virtually every pen I own.

Yes Yute, +1. I love the new Diamine blue-black, too; its fantastic. The only way to know you're getting it though, is to go through Diamine themselves or the Goulet Pen Co. I haven't found any other sellers that distinguish the R2 formula.

- Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Thank you all. I have, and like the Midnight, but there's no ( or very little) black in it. Looks like BB reformulated is the way to go.

diamine twilight, hands down. i like the edgy color shade of the ink. just a hint of green which makes it brighter.

-rudy-