Present For Husband And I Know Nothing About Fountain Pens...

cocohoney

I think I have decided to get the Sheaffer 440, it's something he wouldn't easily pick up himself (which he could the Parker) and I think he will love the design and the fact it is vintage. After a little digging I think he may be persuaded over to ink too!

Regarding the gold nib I was meaning value in the sense of quality/longevity rather than monetary, sorry for the confusion.

I just need to know if the barrel on this pen is metal as rightly or wrongly this is a definite thing he has said he wants again and again.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cocohoney

• UK Mike

• Sandy1

• Elizabeth in NJ

That's a beautiful pen. However, it is a plastic barrel and section. The 444 is a metal barrel/plastic section, but is out of the price range. I see that Teri has both the 440 (steel nib, both NOS and seconds) and the 440 XG (14k nib). In practice, I've found the Sheaffer plastic pens to be quite solid.

Thanks WayToo, I think I am going to start a new thread but I am not sure of the etiquette- I have decided I am going be more flexible about what I spend and I have managed to find out a little more about his preferences. I wondered if I was being confusing adding these at this stage and a new thread would be clearer?

The part he wants to be metal is the thread on the barrel and nib section (is this possible?)

He really disliked the look of the Lamy 2000 because he really didn't like the hooded nib and it looked too modern.

I am going to spend up to £100 ish

Haha - raising the bar to £100 is going to start a whole new ballgame full of our personal prejudices and preferences. I hope you have plenty of time before you have to commit to purchasing because this could get confusing.

Let me start by throwing in a new pen - the Visconti Rembrandt. Beautifully finished, steel Bock (?) nib, metal threads in the barrel and on the section, cartridge or converter, and available from a reliable seller for less than £70. The cap can be personalised with initials on the end button.

You could just about get to the Sailor Sapporo at £113 with a lovely 14k gold nib.

Platinum 3776 with 14k gold nib. £99.

And at Amazon prices, the Parker Duofold is not that far away in price for the smaller version at just under £140.

At this price it really does come down to personal taste - you can be fairly certain that a pen in this price bracket can be made to write very well indeed.

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

I know, I know, I think it was inevitable- I can't stop looking!

Thank you for replying Mike, I like the Visconti Rembrandt in black and the fact it can be initialed.

I should have said his previous preferences still stand also (getting fussier!), so no screw cap and posts securely, looking quickly at the other three you recommend are they all screw caps?

I am finding it hard to nail down which pens have metal threads or are all metal- it doesn't seem to always be included in reviews.

What do you think of the Sheaffer 444? (And are the threads inside the barrel metal?) I really love the idea of an old stock unused pen.

What about the Diplomat Excellence?

Hi Coco

Now that you have been looking al over the place for a good FP for your husband....

How about a nice fountainpen for yourself.... Nothing wrong with giving yourself a nice present as well.....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Thanks WayToo, I think I am going to start a new thread but I am not sure of the etiquette- I have decided I am going be more flexible about what I spend and I have managed to find out a little more about his preferences. I wondered if I was being confusing adding these at this stage and a new thread would be clearer?

A new thread would mean losing all the interesting discussion in this thread.

You could edit your OP to include the additional information. Don't take out the old info though, because that would be really confusing. Maybe add "ETA: I've raised the budget to £100" on the line below or something.

You could also add an ETA note at the end of the post explaining some of what you've figured out about the parameters.

ETA (ha ha)--The Rembrandt is beautiful, though I personally would go for orange! I like the way it combines modern and traditional styling.

Edited by Elizabeth in NJ

Hi,

The Sheaffer 444 has a metal barrel & cap. The threads inside the barrel are plastic, and form a secure closure - the section won't become loose from the barrel during use.

I have several 444s with the steel nibs. Even though I prefer the M grade, the F grade nibs are a great width. The 440 & 444 pens I have with the XF nib have a a small 'sweet spot', to the extent that I would shy away from that grade on a work horse daily writer. When a very narrow line may be needed, the pen can be held so the nib is inverted (feed uppermost).

I think a Sheaffer 444 would be a fabulous choice as a daily writer. As I mentioned previously, the balance of the pen is not top heavy when a metal cap is posted on a pen with a metal barrel, though that is a personal preference.

:excl: Be aware that the 330, 440 & 444 are 'gateway' pens to Targas, Imperials, Sterling Imperials and ultimately the Pen For Men series.

Bye,

S1

__ __

440/444 Nib Width Samples from pens ready to write - not just dipped:

XF : Pen 'B'

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pelikan%204001%20Blue%20Black/9cfbbd35.jpg

F : Pen 'A'

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20Cartridges/4b5d0cfc.jpg

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi Coco

Now that you have been looking al over the place for a good FP for your husband....

How about a nice fountainpen for yourself.... Nothing wrong with giving yourself a nice present as well.....

D.ick

Haha, I have a few I'm watching on ebay- I don't mind trying out a second hand one for myself and I've rather fallen for the Sheaffer Balance among others.

Thank you Elizabeth, I will do that. I rather like the Visconti Rembrandt in blue, but drawn to vintage too- is it hard to find metal threads in this price range in a vintage pen?

Thank you Sandy, I have been reading more on here about buying from America and it seems customs can be an expensive problem. I am not sure I am going to be able to use Peyton Street after all as it would push the cost up so much, does anyone know a good UK/Europe seller?

When you say they are 'gateway' pens, does that mean the others you listed are superior quality?

Just to answer the query re the Rembrandt - the threads on the section are metal and there is a metal insert in the barrel - metal to metal contact as requested. The magnetic cap is quite delicious in action - you find yourself clicking it open and shut just to listen to that sound.

The other three I listed are all screw caps yes.

Good luck in making your selection

I like the sound of that!

Does anyone have an opinion on the Diplomat Excellence?

I can't seem to edit my first post, there isn't an edit button.

I don't think there are any bad sellers in the UK - at least amongst those that are well known.

What part of the UK are you in because there may be some "bricks and mortar" shops we could recommend.

The Newcastle upon Tyne Pen Show takes place on September 1st and the London Writing Equipment Show on October 6th..... the usual sellers will be there and loads of advice on vintage pens.

If you are leaning towards the inlaid nib of the Sheaffer you might want to look at the Waterman Carene, a modern cartridge-converter pen with a snap-on cap, impeccable finish and a Waterman guarantee which includes nib-exchange to a different width if you don't like the one they sell you. There are some great offers on Amazon at the moment.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterman-Carene-Lacquer-Silver-Fountain/dp/B001645BI0/ref=sr_1_4?s=officeproduct&ie=UTF8&qid=1376860623&sr=1-4&keywords=waterman+carene

Haha, I have a few I'm watching on ebay- I don't mind trying out a second hand one for myself and I've rather fallen for the Sheaffer Balance among others.

Thank you Elizabeth, I will do that. I rather like the Visconti Rembrandt in blue, but drawn to vintage too- is it hard to find metal threads in this price range in a vintage pen?

Thank you Sandy, I have been reading more on here about buying from America and it seems customs can be an expensive problem. I am not sure I am going to be able to use Peyton Street after all as it would push the cost up so much, does anyone know a good UK/Europe seller?

When you say they are 'gateway' pens, does that mean the others you listed are superior quality?

Hi,

You're welcome!

Ah, Sheaffer is a very interesting company in that their overall quality is/was very high throughout their product line. Even their very inexpensive 'school pens' typically have very good nibs.

Also, their pens are of a quality that makes them worthwhile to restore, so there are many older excellent condition Sheaffer pens in the market. Which in turn keeps most of them from being high price Collectors Items, though some rare models fetch a pretty penny. With older pens, the ones that survive are the 'good ones', and any reputable dealer would not pass along a defective NOS or restored pen.

So, I'm very happy with the quality of all my Sheaffer pens that span years of production, from the cheap & cheerful school pen to my PFM, with many almost too many more to mention. * hugs a Tuckie *

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

I don't think there are any bad sellers in the UK - at least amongst those that are well known.

What part of the UK are you in because there may be some "bricks and mortar" shops we could recommend.

The Newcastle upon Tyne Pen Show takes place on September 1st and the London Writing Equipment Show on October 6th..... the usual sellers will be there and loads of advice on vintage pens.

If you are leaning towards the inlaid nib of the Sheaffer you might want to look at the Waterman Carene, a modern cartridge-converter pen with a snap-on cap, impeccable finish and a Waterman guarantee which includes nib-exchange to a different width if you don't like the one they sell you. There are some great offers on Amazon at the moment.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterman-Carene-Lacquer-Silver-Fountain/dp/B001645BI0/ref=sr_1_4?s=officeproduct&ie=UTF8&qid=1376860623&sr=1-4&keywords=waterman+carene

Enabler! ! ! :rolleyes:

(I did mention the 330/440/444 series were 'gate way' pens!)

Left: 440

Right: Carene

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Pen_Scans/951522ef.jpg

Edited by Sandy1

Enabler! ! ! :rolleyes:

(I did mention the 330/440/444 series were 'gate way' pens!)

I've been called worse Sandy :) Trouble is (and I KNOW you will agree), that there are so many pens and such little time and once you start ......................

You start chatting about pens with a few friends, then maybe you try one yourself. Before you know what happens you are sitting round every night talking pens or just passing one around.

Before too long you build up the craving, spending more time and more money just getting your hands on fountain pens. Eventually if you can't control it, your whole life becomes fountain pens, trying to get the money to buy the next one, never satisfied with the last one you had. You never seem to go out with your friends anymore, you never have time, always looking, always searching .......... :lticaptd:

Parson's Essential ItalicsPen . You can order it online from MrPen.co.uk. It's a nice pen, and you can have it engraved as well. It will cost around £45 once you factor in delivery.

It is a lovely pen, and a converter is included in the price. It also uses international standard cartridges too.

Edited by sandy101

Since you have upped your budget a bit, Italix also has a new pen called the Captain's Commission. That may be closer to what you are looking for.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I really love the Waterman Carene, but I have done it.

Last night I decided I had to take the plunge before I ran out of time and so I ordered the Cross Townsend (engraved) from Mr Pen with a convertor and some black Diamine ink. :)

I also bought a Visconti travelling inkwell.

I could have gone on looking for ages and suddenly realised the date was creeping up on me!

I'm not sure if the barrel threads are metal, but I get the feeling he won't stop here anyway and it's not long till Christmas!

Thanks again for all your help, I hope I've made the right decision, but as you've said there are so many fountain pens to try and so little time. The trouble is, I like them all!

I'm sure I will be back soon as I have rather a full 'watch list' now on ebay...

I hope your husband appreciates the pen.... you have been working rather diligently at it :thumbup:

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~