Present For Husband And I Know Nothing About Fountain Pens...

cocohoney

I do like the Mr Pen ones, I will look for the reviews- is the Churchman's one good too? I think I prefer the look of that one, I'm not keen on the gold swirl around the cap on the Parson's

The Churchman's P. is an interesting and unique looking pen, but I don't think it would be a good choice for your husband's work pen. It is a large and heavy pen; not something, imo, for on the job note taking, etc.

I think the Pelikan is a great choice except for the screw caps. I tend to prefer snap ones for work as, of course, they take less time to get the cap on and off.

You can find video reviews for a number of different pens on YouTube. Stephen Brown has reviews of both Italix pens there.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cocohoney

• UK Mike

• Sandy1

• Elizabeth in NJ

-1 on the Tombow Havanna, sorry. Unless you husband has very large and "heavy" hands and needs an extremely sturdy nib. The Havanna is very big and heavy and the nib is stiff as a nail.

Wait, let me take a photo...

http://www.bibu31.de/tmp/tombow.JPG

Here are four of the mentioned FPs: Pelikan M200, Parker Sonnet, Parker 51 and a Tombow Havanna. Sorry about the bad quality, but it'll do for size comparisons.

+1 on the Parker Sonnet, especially the matte black one, that's a looker! The nibs are springy.

+1 on the Pelikan M2xx because piston fillers are classy and convenient.

+1 on the Lamy Studio

I would choose the Parker M200, but I think all the pens mentioned in this thread are good. Trust your gut feeling!

Wow! So much information!

Thanks so much, I'm going to read carefully through, make notes and check all those new ones out, I really have no idea now! I didn't realise that about the stainless Lamy studio having a rubber grip. I can see why it ends up being a collection of fountain pens (I'm pretty sure it will go that way with my husband), how on earth do you decide?

I've snuck his pen out of his bag and taken a picture, I will go and try to work out how to get it on here. It says medium point germany on the nib and you can see where his thumb rests as it has rubbed off the coating. I know he bought it from WHSmith and it was around £5 or maybe less. So I guess he likes a medium nib, although I know before he bought a fountain pen he always opted for a fine fibre tip. You can also see where the thread has gone, he got this in a pack of two and is now on the second which is already loosening he said the other day- he has only had them a few months.

He definitely needs something grippy, he has complained about this one getting uncomfortable.

He does a lot of writing, yes multi layer forms would come into that.

I don't think he would like a very slim pen, but probably not a very fat one either. He has fairly large hands but this is mostly long fingers!

At the moment he uses cartridges and when he got his pen I remember him saying he didn't want to have to carry ink around, so I imagine cartridges are the way to go. So Parker and Sheaffer can only use their own cartridges then?

I really can see the appeal now I have started looking, I think you are right, I will be using one too.

You may also want to consider a stainless steel Lamy Studio.

I wouldn't recommend this pen. It has a metal section and to me is quite slippery.My fingers also tend to slip towards the nib. I find that resin and ebonite sections slip far less. The bulb like design seems to make the studio a lot more slippery than say my MB Starwalker which has a metal section but does not have a very tapered design.

Edited by RudyR

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/cocoahoney/media/IMG_6699_zpsab8165e5.jpg.html

ok, hopefully this link will work.

I thought that too Rudy, but apparently this particular style one has a rubber grip.

Also, someone mentioned about screw on caps and that is something he rejected a cheap one in whsmiths for as it would be a pain, I had forgotten that.

So my requirements are increasing...

Not too fat

Not too thin

Needs to write on multiple layers

Uses cartridges

Writes a lot, both long pieces and jotting notes

not a slippery grip

metal body (or very durable one)

clip on cap

medium or possibly fine nib

something I have also realised- nothing too loud- he would definitely go for sleek/plain rather than the mottled or patterned ones. He would like both modern and older style designs though, possibly older style slightly more.

Phew, I need a spreadsheet!

So, if piston fillers are the answer to using a lot of ink, is there a palatable way to carry ink around for them? He almost never has a desk he could keep it on (hospital doctor, not GP) and so it would be chucked in a bag, which would be chucked in a corner/the car/his locker etc. He would not be gentle with it! Are cartridges the best thing for him to be using? Especially if I get a pen that will take universal ones?

I have to go and sleep on this now, thanks for everyone's help, I will be back tomorrow.

Needs to write on multiple layers

Multiple layers as in carbon copying? This would rule out all the soft and springy nibs and make things easier.

http://imageshack.us/a/img13/4112/g23u.jpg

(Waterman 45 BCHR Safety - B ..... Mont Blanc Mystery Black)

Edited by Pterodactylus

The Parker Sonnet is a very well made pen with a smooth nib. Treated well, it should last a very long time. Another fine pen to consider is a Lamy 2000--excellent quality, piston filled, smooth nib (might be a bit more than your budget, I'm not familiar with prices where you live). The Lamy Studio is excellent, filled with either cartridges or converter, great nib (I have no problem with the smooth metal grip). I own examples of all three and my only complaint is that the Sonnet is a bit small for my big hands, the others are perfect for me.

As a suggestion from another doctor, get him some good waterproof ink. That is very important for writing in medical records. My favorite ink is called 54th Massachusetts and is made by Noodlers (dark blue/black). This is bottled ink. If you want a portable inkwell, Visconti makes a wonderful one that can be carried in a pocket--I don't use it and prefer keeping a bottle on my desk--I can write all day on a single fill with no problems.

Mmmmm...50 English pounds...80 dollars.. metal with plastic grip, I would dare to sugest you the Cross Century ll or the Townsend I can asure you they wont fail you or your husband.

I wouldn't recommend this pen. It has a metal section and to me is quite slippery.My fingers also tend to slip towards the nib. I find that resin and ebonite sections slip far less. The bulb like design seems to make the studio a lot more slippery than say my MB Starwalker which has a metal section but does not have a very tapered design.

The stainless steel version of the Lamy Studio has a rubberised grip rather than a shiny metal one - so the problem won't arise. It is only the plastic body versions that have the metal grip.

The Lamy Studio is a decent sized pen, nibs are easy to change if your husband fancies something different in time, it has a click-on cap, sturdy clip, and takes cartridges or a converter. Currently WH Smith online have the stainless steel version at less than half price. It is an absolute steal. It also looks like a "proper pen", has excellent service back up and will last a lifetime if used correctly.

I can also recommend the Parsons Essential which has superb nibs - but no rubber grip/metal body or push on cap I'm afraid.

I couldn't recommend the Parker Sonnet - both of mine have been a pain in the a___, with hard starts, misaligned nibs and poor feed. You may get a good one but the quality control at Parker seems to be all over the place. Sonnets can be bought for about £40+ on Amazon UK.

I can't recommend Cross either. Mr Pen.co.uk has some offers on Townsends that may be worth a look but the cheaper Century II that I was sent because Cross could no longer repair my Century Classic, is a horrible writer and the quality of the Chinese made pen is not a patch on the top end models of the past.

Edited by UK Mike

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

Hi WayTooMany,

I had read about the Parker 51 as it pops up as soon as you google 'best fountain pen'! It does look lovely, I am a little nervous about buying second hand- I found a 'flighter' one on your suggestion, but it was well out of my price range (£350), maybe for our 25th anniversary he will deserve that!

Can you suggest a good place to buy one online? I would be a bit worried about ebay etc as I would not be able to tell if I was getting the real thing?

In your price range, Ebay or an antique store are your best bets. I am not familiar enough with the UK market to be more specific, but perhaps one of FPN's English members will chime in. I know you could get a nice 51 for that price here in the US, although you would certainly have to clean it.

Good luck.

Hi,

I think that by clarifying requirements the field is greatly narrowed, which is a very good thing.

Please allow me to add more criteria for your consideration: The cap needs to be secure when posted (slipped over the non-nib end of the barrel); and the pen not too back-heavy or long when the cap is posted.

Many thanks for the photo! It appears the 'step down' from the barrel to the section (grip) may be causing a problem with how the pen is held, hence hastening onset of fatigue. Until your husband develops a light grip, I suggest a pen that has long smooth section, and minimum step down from barrel to section.
Also, it appears your husband holds the pen a bit higher on the section than most people, (I do likewise), so ergonomics should be OK with a posted metal cap so long as the barrel is also metal.

I'll withdraw my suggestion of the Prelude, as it may be a bit large / heavy, and the cartridges are proprietary.

Many people just love their piston-fill pens, and not only for their large ink capacity. Unfortunately, there's few with metal barrels & slip-on caps, even beyond your cost constraint. (e.g. Lamy 2000 in stainless steel.) If he can tolerate the switch to bottled ink, I do think a piston pen would be a grand choice for his next pen, then a Parker England model 51 for his one after that, and so on . . .

For writing on carbonless paper, a (Western) Fine grade nib should keep the bottom copy legible; and the steel nib should tolerate increased force. I find that when writing on such paper with an M grade nib by holding the pen at a steep angle I can get a clear result on all copies.

As for cartridges, I like the small international size. Most pens using international format cartridges can hold two small ones in the barrel, so a person starts out with at least half the pen's ink capacity on board. Oh, though the Lamy pens take a propriety cartridge, their Blue-Black ink is another work horse ink.

If your dreams were populated with dancing pens, clicking caps & swirling inks, you've dipped more than a toe into the Vortex.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

It doesn't help that I'm not a natural decision maker.

I don't think there is much carbon copy needed, I will try to find that out, I think it's more that he has multiple layers of lightweight paper that you wouldn't want the pen/ink to leak or press through.

He definitely posts the cap, so please let me know if any of these are no good for that.

DRWWE I love that inkwell! Too expensive for now, but opens up the possibility of a piston filled pen nicely. Are there any cartridges with waterproof ink you can recommend in the meantime?

WayToo I am very worried about buying a used pen, I think I need to discount that as a possibility or there are just far far too many choices out there. I have been sent a link for vintage unused pens though, and there are some beautiful ones there *starts to sweat*.

Here is my new list of possibilities based on all your advice and my narrowed down list of requirements

Lamy Studio (£38.49 from Amazon)

Cross Townsend (£45 from Mr Pen- seems a lot cheaper than elsewhere?)- is the step down too big on this one though?

Parker Sonnet (£50 ish from Amazon including a piston convertor)- have some concerns about this one as other reviews repeat UK Mike's experience of them.

Sheaffer Sagaris (£48 from Cult pens) again, the step down seems big?

Pelikan Epoch and Pura I really like, but a little out of my price range (could maybe stretch though). Look a bit chunky and any comments on the slippiness of the grip?

Any thoughts on these?

Oh, I forgot- I am currently looking through some vintage 'new old stock' Sheaffer pens which I really love. I'll keep you posted

If you are still thinking about the Metropolitan (or MR, as called in the UK), the version sold in Europe is compatible with international cartridges (the most common and universal). A Pilot MR pen + a few packs of Diamine cartridges would make a nice set.

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/16/k6ic.png

WayToo I am very worried about buying a used pen, I think I need to discount that as a possibility or there are just far far too many choices out there. I have been sent a link for vintage unused pens though, and there are some beautiful ones there *starts to sweat*.

It certainly can be overwhelming, but I'm certain your husband will love whatever you get him. Is the vintage site Peyton Street Pens? No affiliation, but Teri seems like a wonderful person, and I visit that site often to admire the pens.

EDIT: He will probably need waterproof/archival ink as well. Diamine sells a registrar's ink, which is iron gall based and will require good pen hygiene (a nice cleaning every few fills). Unfortunately, it looks like they have discontinued the cartridges with this ink, but the Diamine 30ml bottles are small enough to carry easily in a backpack or briefcase.

Noodler's sells a variety of waterproof inks, but I understand they are difficult to get in the UK and don't come in cartridges. I think that some Pelikan and Lamy inks might also be suitable, but I have no experience with them.

Edited by WayTooManyHobbies

I would also vote for the Parson's Essential. Get a couple - one for him and and one for yourself.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!