Pilot Vanishing Point- To Buy Or Not To Buy?

rumbleroar

I don't own a Decimo but it is my understanding that the Decimo nib is extended and retracted by twisting the barrel of the pen. Thus, one hand is needed to hold the pen section that doesn't twist and the other to turn the one that does.

Doesn't the Decimo use the same clicky mechanism as the Vanishing Point? Why does it take two hands to activate?

--flatline

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatline

• lovemy51

• cadfael_tex

• PatientType

I don't own a Decimo but it is my understanding that the Decimo nib is extended and retracted by twisting the barrel of the pen. Thus, one hand is needed to hold the pen section that doesn't twist and the other to turn the one that does.

The Decimo is a slightly slimmer Vanishing Point. You're thinking about the Fermo, which has a twist mechanism to get the nib out.

Message me about nib work in NYC

Instagram | YouTube

Doesn't the Decimo use the same clicky mechanism as the Vanishing Point? Why does it take two hands to activate?

--flatline

as I understand, it's a twist knob at the back that takes the nib out. one can probably use one hand, but that makes it even harder to work... if you can imagine it...

edited: ok, already answered by PT. thx.

Edited by lovemy51

The VP and Decimo have same Click type mechanism - one hand is all you need. Have them both.

hmmmm, could it be that I was confused with the Fermo? most likely, then... thx, sparetimefun, for clarifying it!

OMGosh! even ziptrickhead had answered that in a post before me... that's what I get for not reading the whole thread...

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/12018921-emoticon-with-adhesive-bandages-over-his-lips_zpsfd44391a.jpg

Edited by lovemy51

• 3 months later...

I haven't bought one of those myself but I believe those don't come with gold nibs. The description always calls those "special alloy nibs" which I'll

take to mean a steel nib. Just something to consider if that is important to you.

For the record, it does not mean that it's a steel nib. Any gold nib would be an alloy, and they do not make VP with steel nibs to the best of my knowledge.

Anyway, I have the same input as everyone else. I've been looking into them and I managed to get my hands on one. I enjoyed the experience and though I don't care for it aesthetically, it is practical and pleasant enough for me to have around as an every day pen. The clip is a minor nuisance, and a bit odd, but the convenience factor outweighs that for me, especially since I often have thought I want to jot down.

I have a good friend who used a EF Pilot VP for ALL his high school exams, and as long as you're comfortable holding the pen, it'll be fine. Personally I used a Lamy Al-Star that I ground down to a EEF (maybe comparable to a EF on a VP/TWSBI) with a EF TWSBI 580 on back up, and I've never had any issues with writing.

Still, as recommended by so many others, do try and get your hands on one to see if it fits your grip well!

• 1 month later...

I have two mid 90's era stealth VP's, one with a fine point and the other in medium. The faceted old style is thinner and lighter than the modern version. to me,, it is an excellant writer (the fine), and I can write all day without fatigue (provided I have extra cartriges). I consider it a perfect note taking pen, and as a matter of fact I now have in an older Levenger 3x5 note halder with the pen tab. (The modern VP is too big to fit there).

I do have a modern VP (Gunmetal), but I find if not as "handy" for notes. The clip, though not that annoying to me, looks awkward, kind of "clipped on", as opposed to the molded, tapering clip on the faceted model.

I have purchased a modern EF nib, which I now use in my second stealth faceted, instead of the M nib.

I absolutely love this pen.

As a matter of fact, back in the 90's, I would give "stealth black faceted" Namiki's as graduation gifts to family and friends.

Last year I found a new old stock faceted (not stealth, but blue with silver trim) at the Long Island Pens Show, and that afternoon, gave it as a high school graduation gift to my nephew!

• 4 months later...

For the record, it does not mean that it's a steel nib. Any gold nib would be an alloy, and they do not make VP with steel nibs to the best of my knowledge.

Anyway, I have the same input as everyone else. I've been looking into them and I managed to get my hands on one. I enjoyed the experience and though I don't care for it aesthetically, it is practical and pleasant enough for me to have around as an every day pen. The clip is a minor nuisance, and a bit odd, but the convenience factor outweighs that for me, especially since I often have thought I want to jot down.

They do. For Japan market.

I've paid $140 for my Pilot VP with an XF nib and ended up getting an ItaliFine cursive italic 0.9mm nib unit for it from a trade with someone. It is one of my most used pens and is an amazing EDC pen. I'd consider this pen one of my best purchases.

However, if you're looking for a pen to use at home for long periods of time, it probably isn't the most comfortable.

I like mine for EDC because it is quick to use and quick to put away, thanks to only having to hit a button operate it. It is also super reliable and dependable. The only downside is the CON-50 doesn't hold so much ink, but you can always use refilled cartridges for more capacity.

Edited by discopig

I personally don't like vanishing point.

It seems like that the vanishing part hides the beautiful nib. :(

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

• 1 month later...

I love my late 90's faceted VPs -- green & stealth. Very comfortable to use, as I have smaller hands. Lightweight & the perfect pen; I used to use them daily at work & am starting back in my rotation.

I have a Binder-crafted PVP from a few years back.

Great note taker, well worth the $$$ paid for it.

My only caveat is that the grip takes a bit getting used to.

I love my VP. I have it in a Fine nib and it's really fine, but perfect for note taking on questionable paper, or writing in the margins when necessary.

Great pen and a smooth writer!

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers ~ Voltaire