Pilot Vanishing Point- To Buy Or Not To Buy?

rumbleroar

I just took the dive one a used VP off the auction site, black with gold accents and the 14k med nib. I guess I will soon see what the fuss is about.

Purchase price was $70, so I felt comfortable with the risk factor.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatline

• lovemy51

• cadfael_tex

• PatientType

After reading all the reviews and being fascinated at the thought of a retractable fountian pen, I managed to prise a couple of examples from the display cabinet at my nearest pen store.

Sad to say I quickly discovered that the VP is not for me. It just didn't feel good. I could write with it, but it felt uncomfortable and the clip position restricted the way I hold a pen.

I tried the Lamy Dialog too - and I felt that was worse because it is too "Bluff-ended" for me, which seems to hide the tip of the nib.

Back to the traditionals for me I'm afraid. :(

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

What a shame! I know what you mean; my mother saw mine, decided she HAD to have one, then picked it up and changed her mind instantly because of the clip. :(

I had an Ebay "oops" and ended up with a VP. They've been on the "coveted but too expensive" list for some time, but this one stayed in my price range.

I can see the clip position being an issue, although it works well enough for me. The Medium nib is similar to a Fine in a P51 Vac, and it writes very nicely.

There is the Pilot Vanishing Point and then there is the Pilot Vanishing Point in Raden. I first saw a Raden in person at, believe it or not, Harold's of London. The store had a raden displayed in a dark glass case under an accent light and it was magnificent. I stood looking at it so long that my wife came up and asked if I wanted one. No, I didn't - not at Harrold's of London prices - it was up around 450 pounds.

However, I sought one out when I got home. Its one of the most attractive pens in my collection.

no problems here with the clip placement.

my only gripe is that I got mine with the 18k nib and found out that I like the 14k much better. the nib material being softer (18k), the darn tines spread and stayed open when I tried to spring it to write with a line variation... I had to reset them... it hasn't been the same since then. it now writes with a hiss and feedback I do not like. it has improved with much tweaking, but.... I think i'll get me a 14k nib unit!

Edited by lovemy51

Mark me down as another happy VP owner (Matte Black XF, probably going to have it ground to XXF/Needlepoint given how small I write). It is what I use for just about any writing that isn't "formal" (legal documents, applications, and whatnot that require black ink since my VP is loaded with green). I completely agree with the suggestions on holding it before you buy as the clip can be an issue depending on how you hold the pen.

The pen feels like it would be durable enough for school but I would worry about loss, theft, or damage due to how most high schoolers behave. If you do decide to get one, get a pen pouch for it so it doesn't get scratched up while in your pack or pocket and try to protect it from those who would unwittingly damage such a fine writing instrument.

Anyone have experience buying the $80 Vanishing Points off of Ebay?

Assuming there's nothing untoward going on, the only downside would be the 4 week shipping time and you get a full pen for the same price as just to body would cost you from some other sites.

--flatline

Anyone have experience buying the $80 Vanishing Points off of Ebay?

Assuming there's nothing untoward going on, the only downside would be the 4 week shipping time and you get a full pen for the same price as just to body would cost you from some other sites.

--flatline

I haven't bought one of those myself but I believe those don't come with gold nibs. The description always calls those "special alloy nibs" which I'll take to mean a steel nib. Just something to consider if that is important to you.

Message me about nib work in NYC

Instagram | YouTube

I have two now. Bought the first one with a medium alloy nib from "engeika" on eBay. I liked that after smoothing the nib a little myself, so after a while I bought a second nib assembly from Jet Pens, this time a rhodium plated gold broad, which I really liked. At first, I thought the clip placement was not going to be an issue, but I found that the longer I wrote with it at a time, the more having the clip right there bothered me. It was not horrible, just a low grade feeling of not quite right. So I ordered just the body for a second one from Richard Binder, and had him do his clip removal thing. It feels much, much better to write with this way. Of course, there is the inconvenience of not being able to clip it to a shirt pocket, but there are drawbacks to everything. It just goes in a pen case when it leaves the house.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

All this talk of Vanishing Points makes me want to buy one too. It doesn't help that a friend has one in EF and it writes a lovely smooth fine line.

Inquisitive Quill on Instagram and YouTube 

I love when topics get made when they are already rolling in my mind. I've been thinking on asking for one for Xmas due to it's price and not being able to pull the trigger and buy one myself. But it's good because now I see I need to test one before buying it. I thought the clip was a neat idea on their part, but the way it may affect my grip has never really crossed my mind. Thanks for everyone's input and for rumbleroar making the topic!

I am currently lusting after the VP (Capless in UK terminology) in Kasuri finish (Carbonesque White), which has just become available from Cult Pens. But at £139 I'm going to have to save up for a while....

I understand it's not stocked in this finish in the US so for information Cult Pens do delivery to the US at £10 and they usually despatch orders incredibly quickly.

Verba volant, scripta manent

The undeniable practicality of a clicky fountain pen pretty much guarantees that I'll eventually purchase a Vanishing Point pen from Richard Binder (same price as other sources).

I'm particularly interested in the 0.9mm cursive italic nib that Richard Binder sells for the VP. The potential for line variation is, to me anyways, the one thing that sets fountain pens apart from other kinds of pens and so if I'm going to pay a lot for a fountain pen, I want it to be one that can give me some line variation.

That was my last acquisition and I love it. Can't recommend it enough. I had him take the clip off and it's more comfortable to me but I'm up in the air if I'd do it again.

Mark me down as another happy VP owner (Matte Black XF, probably going to have it ground to XXF/Needlepoint given how small I write). It is what I use for just about any writing that isn't "formal" (legal documents, applications, and whatnot that require black ink since my VP is loaded with green). I completely agree with the suggestions on holding it before you buy as the clip can be an issue depending on how you hold the pen.

The pen feels like it would be durable enough for school but I would worry about loss, theft, or damage due to how most high schoolers behave. If you do decide to get one, get a pen pouch for it so it doesn't get scratched up while in your pack or pocket and try to protect it from those who would unwittingly damage such a fine writing instrument.

Oh my god another green ink user? Win! Yeah, I'm very protective of two things- my brand spanking new VP XF, and my guitar. You may not use my VP, and if you so much as accidentally bump my guitar against a table if you borrow it, we are no longer friends. I actually keep my pens in my glasses case nowadays, just because it's really protective and I always have it with me (also it never has glasses in it, so....). One girl asked me if it was a special box for a super fancy pen, and I just kind of laughed it off and said "What? No, I don't have any pens like that...". I figure that no one will take it if I keep an eye on it at all times, and if I don't let people know that it's worth more than $20. :)

I'm the kind of kid whose managed to keep an iphone alive for 2 and a half years- quite a feat for a teenager with a fragile phone and a stunning ability to trip on flat surfaces. I'm not likely (knock on wood) to lose or break my pen, especially one that I so painstakingly saved up for.

Both my 1990s era plastic faceted VP (which is basically weightless) and my modern era VP Fermo (I imported the green one from Japan) have the 14K nibs. How much of a performance difference do you get with the 18K nib? I'd expect it to be a bit springier, but I honestly have no experience with Pilot's 18K nibs.

I love the nibs in these pens, and the convenience factor is unbeatable compared to any of my other FPs. I'm VERY tempted by the white carbonesque VP, though I'm wary of how much it would cost to import it. Then again, if I could get it without a nib unit (or with the steel unit) it might be more affordable. I've already got an F and an M.

They didn't make the XF when I got my Fermo. I can't imagine how much finer it is. I'll have to check Goulet. How is the smoothness compared to the F nib unit?

Not. My experience of the VP, bought from Mottishaw a few years ago, was indifferent. It's an unspectacular writer, despite what people say (it was from Mottishaw), and even he said that that its wetness was limited by the proportions of its nib, feed, and supply.

I wish it were otherwise, and there again, others have clearly found it to be just great. Cult Pens in Britain, a formidable supplier, almost beyond criticism in my experience, sings this pen's praises to high heaven.

Edited by lurcho

since some members are talking about the Decimo, I wanted to say that tho' I like the look of it, I don't appreciate the fact that I have to activate it with two hands... the push/click system of the VP is much more practical for me.

since some members are talking about the Decimo, I wanted to say that tho' I like the look of it, I don't appreciate the fact that I have to activate it with two hands... the push/click system of the VP is much more practical for me.

Doesn't the Decimo use the same clicky mechanism as the Vanishing Point? Why does it take two hands to activate?

--flatline