All Diamine Inks Mini Fade Test

cybaea

I cut a 5 cm strip of each of the Diamine writing samples from the previous post and left them in the window for three days. This is not Amberlea's massive fade test: I simply left the sheets in the window for three days. The window faces due west, not south. In England. In August. They may have gotten nine hours of direct sunlight.

This is not meant to be a stress test; this is forgetting your notebook in the office window over the weekend. The sort of thing you might do.

Below are the samples on Rhodia paper with the 5 cm strip pasted in with a blue border.

fpn_1376252765__diamine-rhodia-1-fade-00

fpn_1376252822__diamine-rhodia-2-fade-00

fpn_1376252858__diamine-rhodia-3-fade-00

fpn_1376252894__diamine-rhodia-4-fade-00

Clearly, if you think this is a realistic test and it applies to you, then there are a dozen or so inks that are going to be problematic, including

• Amazing Amethyst (sort of survives)
  • Imperial Blue
  • Majestic Purple (still readable, but not purple)
  • Lavender (colour change)
  • Imperial Purple
  • Hope Pink (almost completely gone!)
  • Cerise (ditto!)
  • Flamingo Pink
  • Pink (gone)
  • Pumpkin (still readable, but different colour)
  • Coral
  • Ochre (survives)
  • Orange (almost gone)
  • Peach Haze (gone)

The results on the cartridge paper are at first glance similar and I will try to prepare the files later.

I hope this is useful. Comments and suggestions are most welcome.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cybaea

• amberleadavis

• terminal

• ThyPenMaker

This is a great test thanks for sharing! I like people like you with dedication to their tests.

Edited by Cerbervs

Nice and methodical.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I'm bookmarking this thread. Good reference. It's hard to believe how some of those inks just disappeared! I'm glad the two Diamine colors I have survived the test (Ancient Copper and Golden Brown). Thank you for doing the test cybaea!

You are all very welcome. I am happy that you find it useful

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Really, really useful for students or people who need their notes for more than a day or two.

Perhaps we should put links of all those fading tests that are thrown around the subforum together with the "ink reviews index".

Wow, very interesting! As a person fond of the red-purple-violet range of colors, this provides much food for thought. Thank you for doing this.

Thanks for the continued experiments...

so sheen protects from fade...?

just throwing that out there

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Thanks for the continued experiments...

so sheen protects from fade...?

just throwing that out there

I think sheen requires a heavily saturated ink colour, which in turn protects somewhat from fade (there is just so much more dye).

That's my theory anyhow :)

This is terrific! Thank you!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

This is terrific! Thank you!

From the mistress of fade tests, that is high praise indeed. Thank you so much Amberlea, and I am sorry that I couldn't get the specimens to you in time for your tests. Next year!

Absolutely!

Feel free to send over a section from these and I'll put them up in their own experiment. These are just so very awesome!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

The closest expression I can find to sum up my reaction to the totality of your work is one that Brits should understand (and non-Brits should not be offended by) - Absolutely Gob Smacked!!

Again Many, Many, Thanks

John

Today is Yesterday's Tomorrow :-)

For All The Times That Might Have Been We Only Have The Now

www.africanconservation.org

• 1 year later...

Wonderful but (in the case of several colours) concerning; thank you.

You are very welcome!