Favourite Cartridges?

restlesscourage

I don't like cartridges either and I never use them; if necessary, I use their converters.

My favourite cartridges are S.T.Dupont's BLEU NUIT/DARK BLUE because that ink is not available in bottles. I just remove that ink out of the cartridges and transform it into a cartridge, or pour it into a bottle.

BTW these carts are internationally-sized, but Lamy's proprietaries aren't.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• restlesscourage

• ac12

• corniche

• cybaea

I suppose it depends what you need, colour wise and waterproofness (if needed)

Diamine carts are good, with decent capacity (for International carts), but have little water resistance.

Montblanc make cartridges as well. Irish Green is my go to green, but can you use green for work? Or does it need to be more sedate?

But MB Midnight blue is slightly Iron Gall, and therefore very permanent, so that would make the only Iron gall cartridge available.

From a cost perspective, if you do settle on a colour, then buy a bottle as well. Unless you write 15+ pages per day, you might not get through a cartridge. So top it up at night, and if you do run out, just pop a fresh cartridge in. It will allow the packet or carts to last longer, rather than just tossing them.

Ren

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I like Private Reserve's American Blue ink cartridges. The ink is a nice match for my favorite ink -- Parker Penman Sapphire.

Hello RC,

Congratulations on your new job for starters! Secondly, I'll echo elysee's advice here. Thirdly, you could "step up" to a Noodler's Ahab and use it in eyedropper mode - you'll have a week's supply of ink with one fill, (it holds around 6 ML of ink). :D

My final advice is: focus, concentrate on your work and before you know it, you'll be promoted into a position that wil afford you more drawers and this will no longer be an issue. ;)

All the best,

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Hello RC,

Congratulations on your new job for starters! Secondly, I'll echo elysee's advice here. Thirdly, you could "step up" to a Noodler's Ahab and use it in eyedropper mode - you'll have a week's supply of ink with one fill, (it holds around 6 ML of ink). :D

My final advice is: focus, concentrate on your work and before you know it, you'll be promoted into a position that wil afford you more drawers and this will no longer be an issue. ;)

All the best,

Thank you! And ha, I certainly hope that last part works out. ;) (I actually do own a Noodler's Ahab, and the converter stopped screwing on properly, so I'm testing it in eyedropper mode. I've just had mixed results with it as a pen in general and am hoping I can find something more reliable and with less possibility of explosion if something goes wrong.)

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. ~ Anne Lamott (This is where I tell my stories.)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Hello again RC,

I understand your concerns; I know the Ahab is a little on the flimsy side, (I own five of them myself), and they aren't really suited for an "active" office/work enviornment, (I'm semi-retired and work out of my home with no kids and no pets- so the Ahabs are well suited for this environment).

The PR American Blue is a beautiful color, (it is the closest match to Penman Sapphire that I've ever seen), but it is a saturated ink- so you'll have to flush the pen regularly if you opt for it. This point leads me to something I should have mentioned before- because you will be using only cartridges; make sure you flush your pen often.

See, with cartridges, the ink only flows in one direction and only in a controlled drip; when you fill pens from a bottle, the ink flows in both directions, (and half the time, it is like a tidal wave in the channel)- this bi-directional ink flow helps prevent the formation of sediment and congealed ink.

So, whatever ink cartridge you decide on- make sure you flush the pen at least once a week. An ear bulb syringe is good for this; an ultrasonic cleaner is even better. Also, try to use distilled water, most municipal tap sources are high in fluoride and mineral content.

Well, there's my 50 minute lecture for the day; take care and enjoy your new job. :)

All the best & God bless,

Edited by S. P. Colfer

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Ah, I had forgotten the point about ink only flowing one way with cartridges. Thank you for that reminder!

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. ~ Anne Lamott (This is where I tell my stories.)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I've always liked Platinum cartridges, simply because they have an agitator that actually bloody works.

+1!

Most options have already been covered. I don't really mind international cartridges as there is plenty of choice of ink. For proprietary cartridges I purchased a small bottle with a needle-top that was designed for filling electronic cigarettes. It holds 10 ml of ink and makes refilling the cartridge a breeze. It is easy to carry. There are versions with child-proof lids as well as larger (30 ml) and smaller (5 ml) versions available. Just search for them online - I got mine for £1 each.

http://www.eliquidlabs.co.uk/images/10ml.jpg

Edited by cybaea

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

The Lamy converters for the Safari aren't expensive... Why don't you get yourself a second converter and have it filled in the drawer, "just in case"? If the one you use runs out, use the second one and take the empty one home to refill...

“Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands. Shaking off with one mighty effort the fetters of Habit, the leaden weight of Routine, the cloak of many Cares and the slavery of Civilization, man feels once more happy.” - Sir Richard. F. Burton

I'm using Diamine Teal at the moment. It's a lovely color.

I would use Pelikan Brown in carts if the option were available.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Most options have already been covered. I don't really mind international cartridges as there is plenty of choice of ink. For proprietary cartridges I purchased a small bottle with a needle-top that was designed for filling electronic cigarettes. It holds 10 ml of ink and makes refilling the cartridge a breeze. It is easy to carry. There are versions with child-proof lids as well as larger (30 ml) and smaller (5 ml) versions available. Just search for them online - I got mine for £1 each.

http://www.eliquidlabs.co.uk/images/10ml.jpg

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing it!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing it!

Not my original idea: it was in a comment on 'Doc' Brown's channel. But happy to share.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Diamine has a great range of cartridges and you can always buy a couple of different boxes with a variety of colours in each. I found it was a great way of combining the ease of filling when travelling with the opportunity to try lots of colours.

I wouldn't really suggest cartridges unless you're going on vacation and need the portability, but even then, there are many ways to transport bottled ink.

Still, if you're set on getting cartridges and you like J Herbin's inks, I would suggest getting some of those. International shorts, come in packs of 6. Plus, the little tin container they come in is really freakin cool :D

“I say, if your knees aren’t green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”-Calvin