The Death And Life Of Great Pen Stores

CaptainDan

Until earlier this year we had two b&m shops in our metro area.

The one that closed was a Paradise Pen chain shop, and it closed because the owner, several states away did not listen to the manager. They did not relocate to a better location when she urged them to. They did not discount, except for clearance, until they had a going out of business sale. They dropped Pelikan despite good local sales because of Corporate Policy. And they did not carry locally made pens by Bexley, again, due to Corporate Policy.

We have the remaining store, owned by a long time owner who while quite knowledgeable, is more than a true crumudgeon. I have over a hundred Fountain Pens, many costing hundreds of dollars, but nary a one purchased from him.

Nothing is simple in retail. An owner who provides high quality service such as Art Brown did can close due to high rent, while a store such as the one near me survives because the owner long ago bought the building he is in, and has other income sources (he rents part of his building to others). Or a store can be part of a chain, and not perform well following the business practices set by a distant owner not familiar with the local business situation and close.

Ideally, this all could come together. Both chain stores and Independants could survive, if each focused on what they could do best.

The chain stores need to be agile, and keep a presence in hot, new locations. Pens and related materials are generally light and small, so creating a store operation with mobile cases, and a plan to relocate to the new hot area, after a year, or few at an old location could work. I have seen this done with a couple of Bicycle stores here over the last several years. And a Chain store needs to localize its offerings and practices.

And the traditional sole proprietor store can also be successful if they own there own building, and provide high quality, friendly service at fair prices.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vondauster

• Florida Blue

• Gloucesterman

• CaptainDan

It is not just fountain pens. The question is can any small family run retail enterprise continue in the future?

That is the point, at the low end you have the budget retailers, selling the mainstream of products ( that make the profit of the small enterprise ) at prices lower than the cost price for that same enterprise. At the high end, there are the brands starting on line stores, opening brand stores in big cities, requiring of the little entrepreneur to purchase their whole catalogue full of parafernalia although he can't make a profitable turnover of it.

Here in Chicago all the MB boutique stores closed except the one downtown. There were probably 5 or 6 last year. This reminds me of the photo store that once thrived. I remember being able to visit a dozen photo stores in a day downtown to shop for a camera. I can only think of one open now.

We are also to blame. We want to be able hold and feel a pen in person but unwilling to pay the higher prices at the retail store. We browse and hold and test the pen BUT a lot of times we leave and order it online, cheaper yes but the B&M is used as a showroom.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

I will always refer to somewhere that I can physically go into to buy all the pen paraphernalia that we need as a 'shop'. Any other description is superfluous really unless it's really necessary to describe the construction of the building. I am fully aware that the B&M description can be used to differentiate between real and internet selling outlets. Fair enough.

It just annoys me as it's not really necessary.

Thank goodness that no-one has got it wrong and typed 'S&M' store. That's a completely different ball-game but I would guess one that's hard to beat.

Edited by The Good Captain

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I also visited Fountain Pen Hospital several times - their shop is smaller than Art Brown, in what I presume is a lower-rent area (certainly not an area that most tourists would visit), and their stock was limited. Theirr service was not even close to Art Brown standards, and they aren't open on Saturday or Sunday (my sense is that the area around City Hall is not very active on weekends, so I don't know if tourists would even want to go there).

The issue of Saturday closing in New York is, of course, complicated by religious issues. But the stores that have retained the Saturday closure tradition (eg, B&H Photo, Adorama, etc) have supplemented their B&M business with a robust telephone and internet business.

But the thing that struck me most is that both shops seemed to be focused on high-end pens. They aren't the only places in New York where one can purchase pens - there are literally hundreds of stationery stores that sell pens in addition to paper and art supplies. I've even seen pens in a few bodegas! So the point is that it would seem to me that the high-end fountain pen niche is entirely too narrow to support the 'nut' associated with show-room space in New York, and the key to survival of B&M operations is to offer as broad as possible selection of merchandise.

The thing about FPH is that they had a completely different strategy than Art Brown and different assets.

A woman I know who sells at a flea market (and knew the Browns) was talking with me about the closure of Art Brown and why FPH still survives. The issue of rent was key, because she told me that she believes FPH hospital owns the building they are located in (which means they can also supplement their income by renting the top floors as office space).

Another was marketing. FPN sends emails several times a month, they barrage you with catalogs, they have an up-to-date well-designed website, they have pen fairs twice a year where they invite representatives from major companies to answer questions and show off new models and they have a booth set up at every major pen show in the country. Art Brown didn't do any of that. Art Brown focused on Manhattan (tourists, regulars and business people) while FPH aimed at a national (even worldwide) audience. Their catalog and telephone business is decades old (they got Bill Cosby to even record a message while people waited on the line) and they built-up a clientele from around the world before the internet. When they launched a website, those catalog customers bought from them online. They also do a lot of online ads (they advertise on Gmail for instance). Art Brown didn't update their marketing strategy for 2013.

I can understand why they are not open on weekends. Downtown/Wall Street area is pretty dead on the weekends. Tourists don't travel there in large numbers (although that might change now that the 9/11 Memorial and museum will be open). Downtown is mostly offices and most are closed on the weekends. Century 21 (the discount dept. store) is nearby, which is a neat place to visit.

Another point that people mentioned was a mobile kiosk. Parker did this in Columbus Circle (at Christmas time when tourists are out doing shopping and seeing shows) near the Time Warner building and I think is was quite successful.

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

We are also to blame. We want to be able hold and feel a pen in person but unwilling to pay the higher prices at the retail store. We browse and hold and test the pen BUT a lot of times we leave and order it online, cheaper yes but the B&M is used as a showroom.

I think this is a great point and maybe one that is hard to swallow. We want B&M stores to exist, but we don't to pay B&M prices. We often shop on the internet to find the cheapest price possible.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I make a point to make a purchase from any FP specific shops I pass on my travels. I don't have the fortune to live near a B&M so it's a novelty for me. I'm sure many people are the same.

How do you explain that here in México, Office Depot, Office supplies, and other trasnationals are not only surviving but wining and thriving in succsess and

our old brick and mortars "Imprenta y Papelería" are closing everywhere. Worst, and it concerns to us as fp fans , those trasnational dont sell inks and fp

because .."sorry,.. those are obsolete technologies..". And not only in México, Sammys office supplies in Eagle Pass Tx. (the border), beautiful B&M , cristal doors with small tender ringing bells hanging sounding celestially from the doors and the only ones that sells and belives in fountain pens is closing. Why? I ask him and he said: no business.At first they blame walmart and then the ones I mentioned, but something is wrong in B&M itself, they dont like internet, they dont want to hire young employees and worst educate them in fp and promote it

with energy and knowledge. But I think is a transition period and of course fp will survive. People well educated and with good taste will always

choose fp for writing.

Edited by penrivers

The Paradise Pen shop where I live is so successful that they moved to a bigger store on the main drag of the toniest mall in the area. The layout is like a jewelry store. They have glass cases and carpeting everywhere. Also, the Paradise Pen at Tyson's Corner in Northern Virginia moved to a 50% larger space so they could stock more inventory.

Paradise Pen is no Mom and Pop operation, but it is an example of a B&M business model that works. My only objection is they can't adjust pens for customers. Most new pens need at least a nib adjustment, even the higher-end pens. If a buyer needs a pen adjusted, the store sends it to the manufacturer to have the work done. They can't even do basic tweaks in-house.

Carpe Stilo

I always go to buy and look for my favorite pens at my favorite penshop Morastylos which is the oldest penshop in France (already 80 years of existence) and the best. The penshop has completely renewed its interior with more luxurious furniture as well as other more luxurious refinements, it is also the best selling penshop of France. I have even sent to Mr Mora some fpners from other countries.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

"The times they are a changin..." - Bob Dylan (?)

But most of the B&M stores don't change. IMHO, yes, B&M pen/stationery, etc stores can survive BUT, very few will survive if they keep thinking they are ONLY a retail store. If a business wants to stay in business today (and they aren't independently wealthy - don't need the income) they have to think outside of the B&M box. Guess what has to happen?

They have to use every resource possible to build and maintain relationships with regular buyers, new buyers, people in certain demographic segments (this is most important in the area of luxury pens especially) and please, please, please cultivate the newbies with only small initial interest, and probably small budgets as well.

Using technology has to be an essential part of their marketing plan, absolutely. AND they have to hand-write personal letter to those people who will recognize and appreciate a personal note (sorry, emails don't count) not just the high end buyers. Being competitive means the B&M+ store has to get out from behind the glass showcase and outside the store's doors! Make the sales people part of an inside/outside team who share compensation on sales not compete with each other.

Also, the pen manufacturers have participate at a higher level, not just as suppliers of pens, inks and display equipment. Co-op advertising, custom campaigns with some critical vendors. How about a program from Italian or Japanese manufacturers that let's B&M stores help pen buyers set up personal visits/tours when in Italy or Japan. And here is an important aspect to that kind of program - for every pen people buy at the manufacturer's facility send the B&M store some money or maybe one of the same pens the visitor purchased.

There are so many ways that a B&M business can be successful if they are willing and able (financially and "attitudinally") to get out of their comfort zone.

What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Yes, we are a niche market. AND, how many pen people, even the newer or more financially limited have only one pen? Or one ink?

Look at how a business like Goulet operates (no affiliation). Brian is all over the place in positive ways - online, video, attending shows to learn, asking for help, being a "master packer" and I don't mean Green Bay. I would wager (and invest if I were able) that if Brian Goulet ever decided to open a B&M in addition to his online presence he would be successful!

Okay, now you have my .025 cents worth.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

"The times they are a changin..." - Bob Dylan (?)

But most of the B&M stores don't change. IMHO, yes, B&M pen/stationery, etc stores can survive BUT, very few will survive if they keep thinking they are ONLY a retail store. If a business wants to stay in business today (and they aren't independently wealthy - don't need the income) they have to think outside of the B&M box. Guess what has to happen?

They have to use every resource possible to build and maintain relationships with regular buyers, new buyers, people in certain demographic segments (this is most important in the area of luxury pens especially) and please, please, please cultivate the newbies with only small initial interest, and probably small budgets as well.

Using technology has to be an essential part of their marketing plan, absolutely. AND they have to hand-write personal letter to those people who will recognize and appreciate a personal note (sorry, emails don't count) not just the high end buyers. Being competitive means the B&M+ store has to get out from behind the glass showcase and outside the store's doors! Make the sales people part of an inside/outside team who share compensation on sales not compete with each other.

Also, the pen manufacturers have participate at a higher level, not just as suppliers of pens, inks and display equipment. Co-op advertising, custom campaigns with some critical vendors. How about a program from Italian or Japanese manufacturers that let's B&M stores help pen buyers set up personal visits/tours when in Italy or Japan. And here is an important aspect to that kind of program - for every pen people buy at the manufacturer's facility send the B&M store some money or maybe one of the same pens the visitor purchased.

There are so many ways that a B&M business can be successful if they are willing and able (financially and "attitudinally") to get out of their comfort zone.

What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Yes, we are a niche market. AND, how many pen people, even the newer or more financially limited have only one pen? Or one ink?

Look at how a business like Goulet operates (no affiliation). Brian is all over the place in positive ways - online, video, attending shows to learn, asking for help, being a "master packer" and I don't mean Green Bay. I would wager (and invest if I were able) that if Brian Goulet ever decided to open a B&M in addition to his online presence he would be successful!

Okay, now you have my .025 cents worth.

I completely agree with you about Goulet. That's how you run an internet business that caters to a niche. You surround them with content that pushes your products, and you engage with the community in a way that creates a lasting impression and draws people in. Many people with B&M stores that do not have an internet presence are, basically, dinosaurs. You have to adapt to survive. If you don't adapt, the result is simple: you close your doors.

Goulet could open a storefront, but they probably wouldn't see much of an increase in sales unless they diversify even more. And even then, they'd have to hire more people. They're doing well for themselves now, sure, but opening a storefront is a whole different animal from an internet business.

Pelikan M1000 (Green Stripe), Pelikan M205 EF (White), Sheaffer Valor (M), Sailor Sapporo (Clear), TWSBI 580 EF, 1948 Parker 51 Vac F, Early 1950s Esterbrook J F, Jinhao x750 M, Eyedropper Ahab

I completely agree with you about Goulet. That's how you run an internet business that caters to a niche. You surround them with content that pushes your products, and you engage with the community in a way that creates a lasting impression and draws people in. Many people with B&M stores that do not have an internet presence are, basically, dinosaurs. You have to adapt to survive. If you don't adapt, the result is simple: you close your doors.

Goulet could open a storefront, but they probably wouldn't see much of an increase in sales unless they diversify even more. And even then, they'd have to hire more people. They're doing well for themselves now, sure, but opening a storefront is a whole different animal from an internet business.

I agree about change. A generalization but most people hate and resist change. See my signature below.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

When I was in graduate school, there were pen stores as well as stationery stores selling fine/expensive pens, card stores selling fine/expensive pens, and even art stores selling fine/expensive pens. However, with the advent of the big-box stores such as Staples, the majority of these stationery stores, card stores, and art stores have gone out of business. The one stationery store that went out of business only to be brought back by a new owner caries some fine pens but not the same variety as the original store. The one remaining pen store does not carry the variety of pen refills that it used to due to the inventory costs.

Based on the reactions of colleagues and my students, most folks do not seem to know/care about fountain pens or fine writing instruments. Most folks spend a lot of money on the disposable pens and complain about how poorly they write/feel. Sadly, they do not try to seek other options and choose to "suffer" loudly. Those with whom I have discussed the fine writing instrument options have come from the "dark side" of the disposable pen, seeking fine writing instrument options.

Emphasizing the comfort and "green" properties of fine writing instruments would be good selling points.

If consumers were more supportive of small businesses as well as more interested in quality items rather than cheap options then stores carrying fine writing instruments could have a resurgence.

Another was marketing. FPN sends emails several times a month, they barrage you with catalogs, they have an up-to-date well-designed website, they have pen fairs twice a year where they invite representatives from major companies to answer questions and show off new models and they have a booth set up at every major pen show in the country. Art Brown didn't do any of that. Art Brown focused on Manhattan (tourists, regulars and business people) while FPH aimed at a national (even worldwide) audience. Their catalog and telephone business is decades old (they got Bill Cosby to even record a message while people waited on the line) and they built-up a clientele from around the world before the internet. When they launched a website, those catalog customers bought from them online. They also do a lot of online ads (they advertise on Gmail for instance). Art Brown didn't update their marketing strategy for 2013.

I can understand why they are not open on weekends. Downtown/Wall Street area is pretty dead on the weekends. Tourists don't travel there in large numbers (although that might change now that the 9/11 Memorial and museum will be open). Downtown is mostly offices and most are closed on the weekends. Century 21 (the discount dept. store) is nearby, which is a neat place to visit.

Contact with customers via email and via printed catalogs (providing product details and pictures) sent by snail-mail and a store's having a fully functional web site with pictures and product details can have an effect on sales but that alone is not sufficient. Having sales from time to time attracts customers, and having sales/discounts enables a store to sell older and discontinued products. Providing needed services (for example, pen repairs, shipping to pen companies for nib exchange or pen exchange, and guidance/information for pen-buyers), accessories, related items, refills (wide variety including those which are hard to find), and inks as well as selling vintage pens/pencils (possibly on consignment) would attract (loyal) customers. In addition, allowing customers to try pens/pencils and inks before buying would provide opportunities for customer-store bonding as well as for items (inked pens, used ballpoint/rollerball pens and pencils, and discontinued partially-filled ink bottles) for sales.

When a customer feels that (s)he is treated fairly and as valued, the customer is more likely to shop at the store again. When the customer encounters considerably higher prices at one store/venue than at another store/venue, the customer tends to feel cheated and, thus, is less likely to shop at the store/venue at which (s)he feels that (s)he did not get a fair/good deal.

Overall, creating a good relationship with the customer makes a difference. A customer-store relationship built on the getting-giving a fair deal is the foundation for the loyal customer. Even on eBay, it is the sellers and stores that deal fairly with their customers that have excellent feedback and that stay in business.

In regard to brick-and-mortar stores, location makes a difference. Stores that are in high foot-traffic areas are easier to access than stores that are isolated or those that are farther away from other stores. If the customer cannot get to the store or the store is open for a limited time schedule that does not permit the customer to come to the store (for example, not having weekend or evening hours) then the number of customers coming to the store will be limited.

I think this is a great point and maybe one that is hard to swallow. We want B&M stores to exist, but we don't to pay B&M prices. We often shop on the internet to find the cheapest price possible.

Precisely, but people are great at temporizing on this facet. There are many threads on FPN where people say that since they could purchase something a B&M, they don't feel any guilt at going in and trying out a pen, asking questions and then going home to buy it from the internet. In their minds, this is the B&M's fault for having a higher retail price. If the B&M met the online price, they'd have bought it after trying it but since it didn't, the internet gets the sale.

I've always held that this is the same as stealing from the B&M, since you know from the outset that you either won't like the pen (no sale for the shop) or you will, but you'll want to save a couple dollars, so you'll buy it online (no sale for the shop). In both cases you are using up the resources of the shop and then undermining it by purchasing from their competitor.

This system is a great way to run your local B&M out of business.

Edited by Chemyst

Precisely, but people are great at temporizing on this facet. There are many threads on FPN where people say that since they could purchase something a B&M, they don't feel any guilt at going in and trying out a pen, asking questions and then going home to buy in from the internet. In their minds, this is the B&M's fault for having a higher retail price. If the B&M met the online price, they'd have bought it after trying it but since it didn't, the internet gets the sale.

I've always held that this is the same as stealing from the B&M, since you know from the outset that you either won't like the pen (no sale for the shop) or you will, but you'll want to save a couple dollars, so you'll buy it online (no sale for the shop). In both cases you are using up the resources of the shop and then undermining it by purchasing from their competitor.

This system is a great way to run your local B&M out of business.

My rule is that if I try a pen in a particular store then I buy the pen in that store. I have been quite happy with Bromfield Pen in Boston (as I have mentioned in other posts), and I have been treated fairly in the purchases that I have made over the years. I only wish that I could get into Boston more; I no longer live in the city and I cannot get into Boston very often.

As you state, it is not fair to use a brick-and-mortar store for testing pens and inks as that is the equivalent of stealing. Such behavior does not support the store and, in turn, can run it out of business.

Unfortunately the days of the B&M pen shops in the US are over...

When I went to England a few years ago, I was quite surprised to see so many pen shops. There were a few large chains and the department stores had PENS!!! Yep, they had a pen section...It was almost like I was in some dreamstate..

But in the US? Nah....that goose is mostly cooked. It's seemingly an internet hobby here. I live in Florida and there isn't ONE independent pen shop in the entire state. NOWHERE. Just boutiques for MB, Cartier,Porsche Design. There is an Italian pen brand store in the Boca Mall, but they are inexpensive Chinese productions of their own brand. ...Decent...but not my deal. Saks and Niemans have some Duponts and MB, but that's it....Maybe a few gifty type stores that sell Lamy or Pilots...I've seen a few Caran D' Ache...but very limited selection and always at full retail...

There used to be a nice high end store in the Millenia mall in Orlando. St. Hubert. They closed. They were also in Mizner Park in Coral Gables....Yep closed there too..

When I was in Chicago for work, I made it a point to go to the Paradise Pen and actually buy a pen in real time...I did it ! A Montegrappa Espresione on sale. Store was kinda busy too. Go figure..

I have bought from FPH, Pen Boutique and Fahrney's because they reached out to me with sales. specials and nice catalogs. I get emails and updates all the time. None of those stores are in Florida, but I know who they are and what they offer. I NEVER saw anything from Art Brown. I never went to their website and had only read a few things about them in posts...so I didn't buy from them.

It's going to be a tough road going forward for B&M stores who don't market themselves across borders...The pen buying base is limited. It is vital to REACH out to us and promote to us with aggressive advertising and pricing...otherwise they will not make it...

Edited by Fleetlord

There used to be a nice high end store in the Millenia mall in Orlando. St. Hubert. They closed. They were also in Mizner Park in Coral Gables....Yep closed there too

I think St Hubert moved to Aventura at the Aventura Mall. At least, their website still works. I haven't been there yet. It would be about an hour drive.

There used to be an independent pen store in the Gardens Mall. They closed up shop about 10 years ago. There is a MB Boutique there now.