Edc Pen ≤$300

mukukaduk

Lately I've been looking for a new EDC pen fitting the criteria below and I thought a lot of other people probably are looking for EDC pens as well so I guess this thread could be suggesting EDC pens to people with a $300 budget?

What I'm personally looking for:
-20g or heavier
-smooth nib
-either really fine like a pilot fine or a fine stub (0.8 ideal but I guess 1.1 max)
-Budget ≤350 incl shipping to Australia
-If vintage must be mint-ish condition
-looks nice :D

Any suggestions? :)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mukukaduk

• watch_art

• Ytland

• Edwaroth

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with watch_art for that price range custom seems a very nice way to go so you can even customize the size and shape optimal for you (size can be a big thing with EDC pens). I think Newton pens (no affiliation i just browsed a bit and know it as an active company in the community) has pens in the price range. Also I haven't seen many .8mm stubs much you may want to get a custom nib to (maybe vintage?).

TLDR: Go custom!

Edited by Cerbervs

A .8 stub would be pretty easy, but if you want to go wider there are 1.1 and 1.5 available as a stock option - no extra cost. Several people carry that. And they're really nice.

A Bexley Corona is high-capacity piston-filler. Bexley fountain pens have excellent ink feeds. The red one looks like

the vintage Parker Senior Duofold. The Corona runs about $175. That leaves plenty for a custom nib.

A nicely restored Parker 51 will cost a bit less. Have someone custom-grind a nib to be fitted. In the 1950's, anyone,

who could afford a Parker 51, got a Parker 51 -- Roosevelt, Churchill, Eisenhower. my Dad.

Good hunting.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

My favs in this price range - Aurora, Pelikan, some Stipula, some Visconti, Parker!, uhm.... there are just too many awesome pens out there to dig through and find the one you like. You should just get them all! :D One of my favs right now is the Parker 45 believe it or not. Some of them are a bit iffy with regards to fit, but they're great knock around pens and can be had with gold nibs, shipped, for $20 or less on ebay, all day long. :)

Sheaffer Triumph Crest Vac Fill or Sheaffer Valiant Snorkel or Parker 51 Vacumatic

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

For about 130USD, the Lamy2000 is a hard working pen and well built. Or...custom, made to your specs!

@edwaroth,
I do have a Lamy 2000 already but it writes too wet and I always smudge what I'm doing because I'm left handed... Should've gone with EF instead of F :(

I think Franklin Christoph carries a .8mm stub as a regular item for their pens. Look into them a bit. Their nibs also fit Edison pens. :D You could get a custom Edison (the new Menlo Pump Filler is rather nice, in my opinion) and get a custom Edison nib or swap out with a FC .8mm stub.

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

How about a Faber Castell e-Motion?

I have never tried any FC FP but I hear nothing but praises for their nibs.

And the e-Motion's body is just wonderful (my dad has the RB version)

Edited by inotrym

Visconti Homo Sapiens Midi. Tough pen, stunning looks. Getting it stubbed and shipped to Oz for <$350 might be a challenge, though.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Lately I've been looking for a new EDC pen fitting the criteria below and I thought a lot of other people probably are looking for EDC pens as well so I guess this thread could be suggesting EDC pens to people with a $300 budget?

What I'm personally looking for:

-20g or heavier

-smooth nib

-either really fine like a pilot fine or a fine stub (0.8 ideal but I guess 1.1 max)

-Budget ≤350 incl shipping to Australia

-If vintage must be mint-ish condition

-looks nice :D

Any suggestions? :)

Except for the 20g weight requirement, I think the new Pilot Elite 95S fits the bill perfectly. It weighs 16gms.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/248085-pilot-elite-95s/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/250275-pilot-elite-95s-black-ef/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/249351-pilot-elite-95s-deep-red-m/

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I have *exactly* the same specs as you when looking for an EDC, and I can tell you that if you're looking for a Pilot fine width, a 0.8 stub won't really satisfy.

The Lamy 2000 is a good suggestion, however it is quite wide even in the EF grade nibs. I happened to find a Lamy Ratio for sale on eBay with a vintage steel EF nib for around $20 (the pen was cracked across the barrel and cap; essentially unusable) and simply switched out the nibs and... wow, it's amazing :)

Other recommendations are the Aurora 88 modern (slightly above your budget), Montblanc 146 and Sheaffer PFM (if you want to go vintage).

Best of luck.

Jack

Edited by Ytland

Express Nib Grinding Down Under at AUSSIE PEN REPAIR

Email: aussiepenrepair@gmail.com

logo%2520resize.jpg

My new favorite EDC is a PIlot Custom 823 Demonstrator. I chose a broad nib which is like a western fine. It is magnificently smooth weighs 29 grams, has a beautiful nib, large ink capacity and is a vac fill. It is a joy to use.

Pilot Vanishing Point Matte Black with an 18k Broad nib custom ground to a Stub by Binder or Mottishaw. That's just about the perfect EDC to my way of thinking in the price range you're seeking. Those pens can go unused for a week in moderate humidity conditions and will start right up on the first stroke.

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.