Pens From Deccan Stores, Hyderabad

Mesu

Last week, i placed an order for custom Deccan Advocate, Pelkan and Sr. Bullet plus some Chelpark inks.

Advocate normally comes as an eyedropper but i requested them to change to a aerometric/squeeze filler. The Pelkan, is a lookalike of Pelikan M1000. Both Pelkan and Sr. Bullet are eyedroppers.

Advocate is a HUGE pen about 16cm long, Pelkan is about 14.5cm and Sr. Bullet is 13.5 cm when capped. My daily pens are the size of Sr. Bullet and was apprehensive about using Advocate. Surprise, surprise!! This pen is well-balanced and a joy to write with. Pelkan is a beauty and comfortable to use. Sr. Bullet is a cute pen and the size i am most used to.

Can't wait to complete the nib grinding (to M) and put them to daily use :)

Capped

post-104386-0-86918900-1375947897_thumb.jpg

Posted

post-104386-0-80306000-1375947900_thumb.jpg

Filling mechanism

post-104386-0-36882100-1375947903_thumb.jpg

Inks http://fpgeeks.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.png

post-104386-0-36316700-1375947894_thumb.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mesu

• hari317

• amk

• Seele

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mesu,

I would be interested in hearing your experience with the bulb filler's performance. My Guider with bulb filler - cannibalized from a Wing Sung - has rather low efficiency where it's hard for the ink level to rise significantly into the sac, but of course the feed fitted is of standard configuration without a vented breather tube. Only if they use C/C and that would be quite convenient for everyday use, and also broaden their appeal as well.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

I love the turning on the top of Pelkan. That is a lovely little pen. Do you know if it's possible to get that in an aero version?

Aero version is definitely possible. It is only made to order and costs a little more than the eyedropper version. I am going to add it to my next order.

Mesu,

I would be interested in hearing your experience with the bulb filler's performance. My Guider with bulb filler - cannibalized from a Wing Sung - has rather low efficiency where it's hard for the ink level to rise significantly into the sac, but of course the feed fitted is of standard configuration without a vented breather tube. Only if they use C/C and that would be quite convenient for everyday use, and also broaden their appeal as well.

The bulb filler works good. But i only filled it with very little ink to test the nib. Filled it with water while flushing the pen but didn't notice how well it is filling up. I will test the filling capacity with ink over the weekend and revert with the results.

My Guider Marala pens with squeeze/bulb fillers are taken from Hero pens. Got them today and yet to try them.

Edited by Mesu

Hi Mesu,

In early 2011, I asked Deccan to make a pen for me to take a M400 nib. After a few months, it was ready. They had a free hand and they designed the body also closely to mimic a PELIKAN. Here are the pics (I have since sold the pen)

The pen was same size as the M800 that is pictured alongside. Glad to see that they have brought out the ordinary nibbed version in the same shape. :) Best Hari

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Mesu,

I am curious about a few things, why did you choose squeeze fill over ED for the Advocate? the one called Sr Bullet is the "Envoy"?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/229967-the-deccan-envoy-ed-a-few-pictures/

Best

Hari

Mesu, on 08 Aug 2013 - 22:37, said:

Great pics Hari. The closeup pics of nibs and feeds are my favorites [:)]

Off topic: The M800 looks amazing

Thank you. That is an "old style" M800 with the golden discs at both ends.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Mesu,

I am curious about a few things, why did you choose squeeze fill over ED for the Advocate?

I keep changing the inks frequently and i find squeeze fill easier to clean than the ED. Moreover, as i carry multiple pens in my bag, i dont require the ink capacity of an ED.

The only ED in my daily use pens is a Swarna Ebonite.

the one called Sr Bullet is the "Envoy"?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/229967-the-deccan-envoy-ed-a-few-pictures/

Yes Hari, the same one. When i started speaking with the folks at Deccan, Sr. Bullet was the name used by them.

Mesu,

Seele,

Done with cleaning the pens and inked the Advocate with Diamine Sapphire blue. It took 4 squeezes for the ink to fill up about 75% of the filler.

I hear you on the C/C filling mechanism. I am getting some nib/feed units. Will send them for a custom order next time.

Edited by Mesu

Mesu,

The bulb filler system on your Advocate seems to work very nicely, that makes me wonder if something is a bit off kilter with the Guider...

I am also going to get some nib and feeds, the latter with proper breather tubes, so I can get some non-burping eyedroppers constructed. It will take some time as the shipping will be somewhat convoluted, but I feel sure it's going to be worthwhile.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

I really like the Advocate. I think I may need to get an aerometric version of that as well - I didnt realize they made that. While the Advocate hasnt burped ink yet, I am still a little suspicious of ED pens.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

While the Advocate hasnt burped ink yet, I am still a little suspicious of ED pens.

The Swarna ED burped Quink permanent black in my ivory color handbag :(

Since then i use EDs only at my desk.

The Swarna ED burped Quink permanent black in my ivory color handbag :(

Since then i use EDs only at my desk.

The Swarnas were from Meenakshi?

I have seen their pens but never bought one. anyway, it is always risky to carry any ED pen inside a handbag, it can get jostled around.

With a Deccan, they have properly placed cap breather holes and in-situ machined inner caps (Can't say this about any other Indian hand made pen except maybe the Airmail/Wality), so at least the escaped ink will not escape out of the capped pen.

EDs seem very various in behaviour. Some of my big ebonites are well behaved, some of the cheaper pens are little beasts and burp all the time. Seems to depend on several factors, I suspect the thickness of the wall may be one, and the feed is another.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/