Noodlers Flex Nib On Twsbi Vac 700

snookums

Hi all,

Carried out my first pen modification toady, it went quite well. I didn't break anything anyway!

So I got a Vac 700 with a 1.1mm snub nib a few days ago, got to say seriously smooth nib there. I had been happily enjoying the effect it had on line variation whilst using Private Reserve's Copper Burst when what should happen? My Noodlers Konrad Flex nib arrived, along with some Private Reserve Sepia. Inked it up and Oh My, what a combo It wasn't perfect, very scratchy and the pen body was awful coming from the Vac 700. But I couldn't put it down, It was throwing out such fine control over then line variation that when I compared it to my 1.1mm snub's efforts they just looked boring and childish!! But I couldn't keep my eyes off the TWSBI, and the Konrad looks like a 50p pen.

What to do, what to do?....Brain wave, stick the Noodlers nib on the TWSBI........

TADA!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39505524@N02/9452789866/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39505524@N02/9449939479/

Here is what I had to do to get it to work:

1. The nibs are both #6, but have a slightly different curvature, the Noodlers has a shallower curve. So find a 6mm piece of metal rod that matches the TWSBI nib perfectly. Put the Noodlers nib over the rod to see how much re-shaping you have to do.

2. Start GENTLY squeezing the bottom for the nib together in a pulsing motion (i used pliers), literally 1 or 2 squeezes at a time. Put it back on the rod and see how it compares.

3. Dont try to get it anywhere near perfect, just get it a little deeper. Test fit it to the TWSBI, Its a tight fit.

4. You may find that the Noodlers nib wont go as far in as the original, if this occurs gently squeeze the nib together about 3-4mm from the bottom. Pulsing motion again, 1 or 2 times.

5. Time to modify the feed. All i did for this was run a used stanley blade down the TWSBI channel a few times I didnt want to make the feed as big as the noodlers one because I didn't want to wreck it for use with the 1.1mm stub. However the pen does dry out if I try to use max flex at any speed above dead slow, so I may have to re-visit this.

6. Putting it back together. The feed will only go in one way, dont force it, on its own it will just slip in. Note the orientation of the pen and feed when you have got it to slip all the way in. Get the noodlers nib and line it up so that there are 6 fins left visible on the back of the feed (ensuring that the feed channel and the tines line up 100%) try to push both the nib and feed in simultaneously, you will encounter problems if the feed slides ahead of the nib.

7. Check cap fit. First couple of attempts i made, the pen wrote fine, but the lid would not go on, nib wasn't far enough in. So be careful when you first attempt to fit the cap, even now my nib is less than a hair width from the cap when its on.

Bad points: Only thing i can think of is that I like the engraving on the TWSBI nibs I actually do kinda miss it. If fact the TWSBI nib looks better generally than the Noodlers. Oh yeah and I still have to widen the channel a bit, which my rule out putting the snub nib back on.

Here is a writing sample (not great) using the TWSBI Vac700 Flex nib!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39505524@N02/9452707954/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39505524@N02/9452690942/

Well thats it really! Its on here now if anyone wants a cheap flex nib on a Vac 700!

Cheers

James

Edited by snookums

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snookums

• MisterBoll

• heymatthew

• Runnin_Ute

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting post... Never thought to put a Noodler's nib on a TWSBI pen. Keep us posted on how it continues to work out!

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

Quick update,

Had a few drying out issues at max flex for any line longer than a small f, moved the nib approx 3 feed spines forward, can now draw any length of line at any speed without drying out. Had to remove the inner cap to get the lid to close properly on the pen though, but I think the pen looks better for it.

James

I have been thinking about taking the flex nib off of my Konrad and replacing with something like one of the available Goulet #6 nibs - maybe even one of the stubs - or something I don't have - like a broad

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks for the post and the pictures.

I'm wondering now if it is at all possible to use the Noodlers feed on the TWSBI.

The Noodlers feed is too big to fit in the TWSBI collar on its own, let alone with the slightly out of shape flex nib. I think you would have to modify it so much to get it to fit, that it would cease to be a Noodlers feed by the time you got it in there! But you could try, maybe grind the bottom half of the feed uniformaly to reduce it? Don't know how that would effect ink or air feed though.

My next tinker is going to be to try to add a little flex the the stock TWSBI nib (bought some nail dip pen nibs to practice on), miss the complete TWSBI look, bit sad really!

Edited by snookums