A Review of Bill Jackman's Revolving Pen Stand

southpaw

Every now and then you just run across something that is done so well you just have to tell others about it. Such is the case today. For the record, I have no affiliation with Bill whatsoever, but am simply appreciative of his work.

I saw a photo or two of Bill's stands on PT and, always being desk space challenged, thought, "Hey, it would be great to be able to put 8-10 pens on my desk in about the same space as a cup of coffee." I mulled it over and, a few days later, Bill posted on the PT GB and here on FPN that he had a few extra for sale. I bought the 10 pen revolving stand. Bill was very professional and a complete delight throughout the transaction.

The first thing that caught my attention when the package promptly arrived was that it was very well done and professional - the packaging. Call me weird, but attention to small details like that increases my confidence and satisfaction in the buying experience. It also told me that Bill cares about his work and doing things right.

Upon opening the box and getting pass the protective materials, I was hit by the antique look and the warmth of the wood. As I looked it over, I noticed that the felt in the bottom section of the stand is patterned. This is a very classy and nice touch. Naturally there was felt on the bottom too, but it is still a nice touch to find it where it should be. His workmanship is top quality.

Upon further examination, my initial reaction was that the pen holes were too large. However, upon inserting my largest diameter pen and considering the cap band and the clip for absolute maximum diameter, the choice of hole size was very insightful and appropriate.

The only thing I was not initially sure on was the different color of the spindle, the center post of the stand. Mind you I did not have an adverse reaction, more of a, "Hmmmm. . . that's an interesting choice." With time, I have come to think it was yet another wise choice.

Here are some photos.

First, here is the stand loaded up with a number of different sized pens. Recognize any? The pens are listed below the photos (although in no particular order).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/michaelwhitesides/penstandfull2.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/michaelwhitesides/penstandfull1.jpg

Blue Sheaffer PFM I, Cedar Blue Parker 51, Black Sailor 1911 full size, Blue Marbled Auroloide Aurora Optima, MB 146, 1950s Green Strip Pelikan 400NN, Burgundy Sheaffer Imperial IV, Cobalt Blue Sheaffer Legacy SE, RRHR Waterman 52, Navy Sheaffer Balance (modern).

Here are the pattern felt in the bottom section, the hole layout, and the overall stand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/michaelwhitesides/penstandtop.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/michaelwhitesides/penstandempty.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/michaelwhitesides/penstandbottomclose-up.jpg

All in all, as if you cannot already tell, I am quite happy with my new pen stand. Should you wish to contact Bill, his email is pensnwands [at] networld.com (just replace the spaces and "[at]" with "@" and you've got him! Thanks Bill!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill J.

• ojars

• alec

• Solomander

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have one of these as well and I absolutely love it. It seriously just blew me away from the moment I laid eyes on it. I had the distinct feeling that I hoped this pen stand would become a family heirloom. I absolutely love it!

• 3 months later...

Wow... very nice... Is there contact information on how to purchase this item? (I am assuming --maybe incorrectly though-- that these are made by Bill Jackman)?

Thanks,

John

I was not sure it would be appropriate for me to respond in this thread, as I didn't want it to look like I had asked or influenced southpaw to post his review of the stand I made for him, but I have had several questions via PM, and thought It might be easier for some to reach me about stands if I posted to the thread. To Admins, if you feel this post is at all inappropriate for this forum, please feel free to remove this post.

First off, thanks to southpaw for his review! I was away from home for a few days when he posted it and came back to a nice surprise. I have always asked stand owners for frank reviews and criticism of my work, hoping to improve what may be sneaking by my own filters.

Here is a link in my photobucket to photos of some stands I have done.

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k276/pensnwands/Stands/

And Ray and Becky were so kind to put up this page on their site after ordering their stands.

http://www.penlinepens.com/penstands.html

Thanks to all those who have asked or ordered stands.

Best

=)

Bill J.

That looks like a fantastic pen stand indeed! The patterned felt adds a little something. I'm just curious about one thing, though: Don't the pens slip on the felt?

That looks like a fantastic pen stand indeed! The patterned felt adds a little something. I'm just curious about one thing, though: Don't the pens slip on the felt?

The felt is actually there to keep them from slipping on the slick finish. On some of the last stands the wood grain and streaking has been so beautiful I just couldn't bring myself to cover it up with felt. So, with the stand's owner-to-be's ok I left the felt off leaving more wood exposed. The pens did move around a little more without the felt, but I hope to hear back from the stand owners over time how it works out. I have also been toying with the idea of conical indentations for the pens to rest in, but have not tested it yet. One of my main issues is to make sure the pens won't be damaged by being held in the stand.

=)

Bill J.

• 6 months later...

I just received a 15 pen stand from Bill. He was a pleasure to work with. He picked a stain color that complemented my desktop. His workmanship is first class and the stand is a marvel of ergonomic design. I am ordering another one for my office. Thanks, Bill.

Joel

Please don't encourage me to obtain any more pens. :)

Oh Wow! Those look beautiful. I may have to have one once I fill up my Dad's pipe stands (which won't be long from now at the rate I'm going). This would be a perfect complement to the pipe stands and then of course there is the fact that I would then need more pens. ;) Lashelle

They look fantastic Bill. How much are they? Also the penlinepens link is dead.

I was not sure it would be appropriate for me to respond in this thread, as I didn't want it to look like I had asked or influenced southpaw to post his review of the stand I made for him, but I have had several questions via PM, and thought It might be easier for some to reach me about stands if I posted to the thread. To Admins, if you feel this post is at all inappropriate for this forum, please feel free to remove this post.

First off, thanks to southpaw for his review! I was away from home for a few days when he posted it and came back to a nice surprise. I have always asked stand owners for frank reviews and criticism of my work, hoping to improve what may be sneaking by my own filters.

Here is a link in my photobucket to photos of some stands I have done.

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k276/pensnwands/Stands/

And Ray and Becky were so kind to put up this page on their site after ordering their stands.

http://www.penlinepens.com/penstands.html

Thanks to all those who have asked or ordered stands.

Best

=)

Bill J.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

• 2 weeks later...
I just received a 15 pen stand from Bill. He was a pleasure to work with. He picked a stain color that complemented my desktop. His workmanship is first class and the stand is a marvel of ergonomic design. I am ordering another one for my office. Thanks, Bill.

Joel

Joel,

You are so very welcome!

This is one of the reasons I keep doing these stands is I get to meet and correspond with such great fellow fountain pen fanatics. :)

I have yet to deal with anyone here who is anything but a pleasure to deal with.

Bill J.

=)

They look fantastic Bill. How much are they? Also the penlinepens link is dead.

Inkypete,

Sorry I'm a little slow answering you back on this, I had not looked back at this thread for a while.

Yes, the penlinepens.com site apprears to be down completely. It was Ray and Becky Roewert's site and I have not had any correspondence with them for quite some time. I hope all is well with them.

The typical stands I make these days hold between 12-15 pens and cost $57.50 (I raised my prices up a bit to cover increases in shipping costs.)

One change in the design of the stands I have made is on the felt/lower disk. It always kindof drove me crazy to cover up so much beautiful wood grain with the felt, but without it the pens could slip acros and fall, especially if the stand was spun too quickly.

My soloution was to machine individual spots for the pens to rest in and put the felt only in those recessed spots. I really like the result, as shown here.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k276/pensnwands/Stands/IMG_2832.jpg

Oh, also, the best email to contact me on these days is:

billj121@gmail.com

Hi Bill, would love to purchase one of these stands.

Have sent you an email at your gmail address.

Have a wonderful New Year.

Alec

http://files.alecsatin.com/2010/postcard-exchange-participant.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just received a stand from Bill (Jackman) and the quality of workmanship exceeded my expectations. He carefully crafted it out of ambrosia maple (for which there was no extra charge because he had it on hand), and it looks beautiful! It arrived carefully packed, and you can tell that he cares very much about his customers' happiness.

Moreover, he is an incredibly nice guy. This hobby has so many wonderful people (my bias), but deal with him and he will soon make your "short list."

Unfortunately, I just had some deaths in the family, so I cannot yet find the time to post some pictures. I promise to do so in the future.

Anyone purchasing his stands will not be disappointed.

Edited by scholiast

"What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death, p. vii

Those are great looking stands. I may have to point them out to my wife. She has been looking for a belated birthday present for me.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 4 weeks later...
Those are great looking stands. I may have to point them out to my wife. She has been looking for a belated birthday present for me.

I wish I knew about these stands before I bought the alternatives.

Is there a link to bookmark the contact info other than this thread?

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

Bill informs me that my revolving pen stand may be on the way from Utah as early as tomorrow. I'll share pictures when I get it. The stand will come in handy on my desk.

Nakaya Writer Wajima-Urushi nuri Kikyo long pen fp - Grayson Tighe Twist Damascus fp - Mont Blanc Ramses mp - Pelikan M800 (2) - Restored 1936 Conklin Nozac fp - 1935 Waterman #3 mp - Namiki Falcon fp - Lamy Al-Star fp (2) - Parker 51 (8) - Swan/Mabie Todd fp - Wality 69L (3) - et alii

Hi all,

Recently purchased one of Bill Jackman's stands. The stand is functional and beautiful - a true work of craftsmanship and love.

Bill is a pleasure to deal with.

Feel free to post here or IM me if you have any particular questions about the stand.

Here are some photos:

Alec

post-8452-1204555522_thumb.jpg

post-8452-1204555527_thumb.jpg

post-8452-1204555533_thumb.jpg

http://files.alecsatin.com/2010/postcard-exchange-participant.png