First Fountain Pen

markscamilleri

Check this one out http://www.nibs.com/Left-hand%20writers.htm As Sailor Kenshin said, you will have no issue with standard nibs. Also http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/ttp/left.htm

Edited by dragos.mocanu

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markscamilleri

• dragos.mocanu

• Sailor Kenshin

• Pterodactylus

Check this one out http://www.nibs.com/Left-hand%20writers.htm As Sailor Kenshin said, you will have no issue with standard nibs. Also http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/ttp/left.htm

I read it but it didn't compare left-handed nibs to normal ones... It did say that a rigid one is good for everyone... so as far as it is rigid, I can use it?

Then let's just call it 'using bottled ink and a cartridge'...at least that's what I do with 2 of my daily writers, a Lamy Safari and a Parker 45 ...I have converters for both, but they really lack capacity.

And a syringe. And some blu-tak to seal the cartridge for transport. Really now, cartridges weren't meant to be used in this fashion. You can seal the windows in your safari and use it as an eyedropper pen. But all of this is way too advanced for someone's first pen.

hey guys. Thanks for all this help! Can anyone tell me what difference the left handed nib will do? Thanks

If it's the Lamy LH nib, I think I read that it has a larger "sweet spot" to accomodate different pen positions since LH people hold their pens differently. Visually, I can't see any difference. Haven't yet gotten around to trying it out first-hand.

I think there are 2 possible differences for pens for left handed:

(1) Different sections with optimized grips for the left hand (pens with special section form, not round, there are also pens with special grips for the right hand, many times on school pens)

(2) Optimized nibs for left handed, to be smoother, less scratchy and more robust (against damage) when pushing the nib (instead of pulling) over the paper.

I don't think you will have much troubles with a modern (spherical) standard nib.

But if the manufacturer of the pen you will choose offers one, then you should consider it.

There are pens which have (1) or (2) or both or none.

I think it would be best to try the pens before buying them, to see what works best for you.

these pens are quite common, so you should not have much troubles to find a shop you can try it.

There are a lot of good entry level pens from different companies.

The Safari is good. But you can also consider a Pilot Metropolitan. It's a rather impressive pen for it's price.

I don't know though how it would work for a leftie.

Here's a nice review: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/234725-pilot-metropolitan-review/

Works jess fine...I have one of those, too. ;-)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Go for a Parker Frontier with a Fine nib, I'm a left hander too, I would class my frontier as my best pen even though I own pens more expensive ones. It has good nib and is an excellent choice a far better choice than a safari as the grip section is more universal so your less likely to have trouble with it also even though it was discontinued a year or two ago it was in production for over 15 years so there loads of stock still about so you should be able to pick one up for £7 or £8 online.

I know the Safari is classed as the best beginner fountain pen but I personally think a low cost Parker (Jotter, Vector, Frontier) are more suitable to start off with as they are extremely reliable and I found took no effort to change from using ballpoints to fountain pen however unless you write with the tripod grip the safari won't agree with you and so can take a while to get used too.

A fine nib should ensure you don't have problems with smudging.

Edited by top pen

I am going to say only buy a Safari if you can try it. Partly because (as was mentioned earlier) the grip isn't for everyone, although I don't mind it. But mostly because I bought one, and it has a shamefully scratchy nib. So if you can try the actual pen you will be purchasing (ie, not a display pen and then buy a different one from under the cabinet, which is what got me) and you like it, go ahead. Don't buy it online. Of course, that's just my slightly bitter self talking. Most people love their Safari's.

The left hand issue is a non-issue. I am a left handed, over writing, weird grip, heavy handed writer, and have had no issues with any of the dozen pens I own (aside from the aforementioned Safari, but that isn't a left handed issue, that's a QC issue).

JS

Hi all, my father recently recieved a Parker Vector as a gift, but he doesn't want it so he gave it to me. How does this compare with the Lamy Safari?? Should I still try and but the Lamy Safari?

Hello and welcome to this den of hedonism the FPN!

If you are a complete newbie, I do not recommend Lamy Safari, partly because it's just too expensive for a first time user. Almost everyone in my class ruined their first fountain pens (mostly by applying too much pressure and turning the nib into permanent flex). The nib itself costs about 7 euros, if I recall correctly. That can buy a new pen. Also, the grip on the Safari isn't really designed to teach proper pen grip if you don't know it already; it's a bit awkward.

I'd go with a Parker Vector. It's a good pen, you won't be crying over it if you mishandle it by some chance.

Also, start with cartridges. Converter/piston makes a bit of a mess if you aren't careful, and it also requires a little more care.

Other recommendations would be VPen or Varsity by Pilot, or Preppy.

Also, unless you're going for oblique, there is no handedness for nibs; think about it, regular nibs are line-symmetric. Doesn't matter which way it tilts, it'd just be a mirror image.

Edited by GabrielleDuVent

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

Hi all, my father recently recieved a Parker Vector as a gift, but he doesn't want it so he gave it to me. How does this compare with the Lamy Safari?? Should I still try and but the Lamy Safari?

No.

You did it. You got your first fountain pen. Mission accomplished. Congratulations.

Your second fountain pen may take a bit longer to source. It will probably be based on the findings you make, while using your Parker Vector. What you like about it. What you don't like about it. Where you'd like to go next.

Or, the Vector may suit you down to the ground and you may never need to buy another pen.

Enjoy!

@Mark

Go ahead and use the Vector. It is a decent/good starter pen, and best of all...it is free to you.

As Gabrielle said, you need to develop a different hold for the fountain pen, which is MUCH lighter than other pens.

Then after using the Vector, you can upgrade to a different pen, if you feel that you want to.

I am geeky, so I used a lever fill fountain pen early on. But that was only at home.

At school I used a cartridge filled fountain pen. It was a LOT less of a hassle to use than the lever fill pen. When I ran out of ink, I just swapped in a new cartridge; easy, fast and no mess.

One other consideration is what size pen tip do you use now with your ball pens?

The writing experience will also depend on the tip size. However, the tip sizes differ by brands, so one companies F might be another companies M. Japanese and Chinese tips generally run smaller than western tips. So a Chinese F is like a western XF, which is too fine for me.

Wider tips (M for me) seem to be more tolerant of paper that is less than smooth. My F tips scratch and snag on less than smooth paper.

So the paper that you write on will also affect your writing experience.

There is what is called "fountain pen friendly" paper. It is paper that will not BLOT, feather or bleed through when you write and is smooth enough that your tip won't scratch and snag. Unless you buy GOOD paper like Clairfontain, finding "inexpensive" paper can be a journey in itself.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

on pens, the usual good advice has been given, so i won't repeat it.

"good" paper can be hard to find, and expensive. fortunately, finding "good enough" paper can be much easier.

bad paper, unfortunately, is everywhere. notebooks you can buy in department stores or grocery stores almost certainly have it --- thin, pulpy, cheap, newsprint-like stuff that liquid ink will bleed right through and spread out to all sides from the line your pen put down. avoid.

good enough paper can be found at your local bookstore, most likely. it's not necessarily even the more expensive stuff in the store --- that, again, tends to be the well known brand names. moleskines cost extra around where i live, and their paper isn't even all that great. i do my writing in no-name notebooks that were mid-range in price, but turned out to have decently thick, decently smooth paper that doesn't bleed through. i'm sure there's much better paper to be found, but i have what i need for decently cheap. look around, check for paper thickness and weight more than for price.

Had one of those, too. It was a very sturdy pen.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I agree that you should use the Vector for a while before considering a second pen. Refine how you hold the pen and consider the things you like and dislike about the pen.

Even the most thoughtful and detailed pen review won't help you much if you don't have an idea about what you need in a pen, especially if you write in such a way that you drag your hand over what you have already written. I would typically suggest a fine nib and a fast-drying ink to prevent smudging, but as always your mileage may vary.

My favorite cheap pen is the Pilot Metropolitan ( I believe it's called the MR in Britain) some people do not care for the step-up on the grip section.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it. So, here is what I'll do:

I'll use the Parker Vector with the cartridge for now.

Also, I might buy the converter as I will use this at home.

Thanks again

Also, the grip on the Safari isn't really designed to teach proper pen grip if you don't know it already; it's a bit awkward.

Gabrielle,

This makes me think that the Safari forces a proper pen grip on the user, and hence can be used for teaching. The easiest way to hold/use a Safari or an Al-Star is the right way, otherwise the steel nib will be really troublesome.

Edited by proton007

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

Also my assumption was that the Safari has a special ergonomic grip section, which should force the user to hold it the right way, as it is a common school pen.