New Fountain Penner Here - Need Suggestion

brittshideler

Hello! I'm new to fountain pen use. Picked up my first fountain pen after reading Natalie Goldberg on journaling and writing with a fountain pen. People who write a lot need a pen that can keep up, she maintains. Right she is. I write a lot everyday in a blank moleskin notebook. I was using a felt tip. Very slow. I took the plunge.

I bought a disposable type shaeffer at Hobby Lobby. (I hear you cringing!) Too many starts and stops, flow probs. Long story short, after a leaky TWSBI and stops and starts on a Nemosine I got a Lamy 2000 Fine nib after reading a jazillion reviews.

Now I'm finally beginning to know what I'd like. Something as reliable as the Lamy 2000, piston fill, faster/more ink flow, lighter weight. I write fairly quickly, not particularly hard pressing or small handwriting. Just sort of flowy mess. Also, I don't have a preference as to caps, posting or not but I don't like a screw on cap. Any suggestions?

Any full size blank notebook favorites as well? Paper preferences?

Thanks!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LWJ2

• brittshideler

• pajaro

• ddustinn

Pelikan M200. Not too expensive, and will last as long as you want to use it. Light, and you can use the 200's steel gold plated nibs or buy gold nibs later. A pen that will take you from beginning to end of the journey.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Pelikan comes to mind - Except for the screw on. You may have to compromise there.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

The M200 from Pelikan would be my suggestion as it meets all of your criteria except for the screw on cap. I can't think of many piston fillers outside of the Lamy that don't have screw on caps.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thanks so much everyone! Looks like the Pelikan 200 for me. I'll let you know how it works. The screw on cap is not a big deal. Thanks a million!

:W2FPN:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hi and a very :W2FPN:

Enjoy your stay

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Greetings and welcome to FPN. Glad you've joined us; it's great to have you here.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Welcome. I've got a couple of Pelikan M2xx series and they are wonderful pens. Got both from Richard Binder so they're customized to me.

Welcome :)

My first fountain pen was the Lamy Safari. Not sure if you want a second Lamy or something different, though.

You can also get the Platinum Preppy. Its a very cheap demonstrator (it's clear so you can see the ink inside!)

Rhodia seems to be a popular brand of paper. They come in pads and can be blank, lined, or gridded.

If you want something cheaper, buy Staples composition books made in Brazil.

"But why do you always speak in riddles?"
"I solve them all."

Welcome. Before you rush out to get that Pelikan M200, consider other pens in the Pelikan family. The M200 is a short, light, steel-nibbed pen. The M400 steps up to a gold nib. The M600 is a little larger. The M800 is larger still and has somewhat better quality innards. The M1000 is the Pelikan line flag ship with a very large, springy gold nib and the largest barrel of the family.

Personally, my first new pen was a Sailor Sapporo. That is a short, light pen - much like the M200. I found it uncomfortably small and ended up selling it to purchase something larger. It might save you time and money to try a few pens. Determine what weight and size is most comfortable. And, don't choose so much based on price as the right fit. If you're investing money in a fountain pen get the one you really want. If you take care of it, it will be with you for a lifetime.

Welcome to FPN - looks like you are definitely in the right place.

If it's not too late to tender a suggestion, a vintage Parker 51 may fill the bill. They are not piston fillers, but the aerometric models are nearly bulletproof, and the pens write wonderfully. The vacumatic models are just as pleasant to write with, but will need restoration every few decades.

Good luck with whatever you select!

Welcome!

You want something with more ink flow than a Lamy 2000? In my experience, the 2000 is very wet and never skips. If you're having flow issues, it could be a problem with the ink.

"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."

- St. Francis of Assisi

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."

-Miles Davis

I will gladly take your unwanted Noodler's pens. Don't throw them away.

Assume no affiliation.

Welcome!

For a piston fill the m200 is not bad... But i personally find it a bit on the short and light side...

For a more affordable alternative, maybe one of these might also appeal:

- a noodlers knorad - piston fill, adjustable flex nib but screw cap

- the noodlers ahab - converter fill but HUGE ink capacity, same nib as Konrad but screw cap again

- lamy al star or safari (I love the al star hate the safari... Others tell me they're the same but I sure as heck prefer one over the other) - snap cap, easily changeable nib from EF to B and even 1.5mm italic but cartridge/ converter fill

I like the changeable nibs quite a bit... I generally prefer fine nibs but have had some dry nibs that work much better by simply changing out the nib to a larger size!

- as a tossed out suggestion, maybe a pilot prera?

On a never ending quest for the 'perfect' pen, ink, paper combo... Then again where would the fun be in finding perfection!!

Welcome to the fountain pen network!!! I would recommend a Pelikan 200 or even a vintage Montblanc 32. They are both relatively inexpensive quality piston filling fountain pens. As for paper, I would recommend clairefontaine. I buy it from the Goulet's, they sell 8.25'' X 11.75" pads for $6 each.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde