Ideas On Fast Drying Black Ink For Poor Quality Paper Please!

Cyclopentadiene

I'm using Aurora Black for the first time today, in a really dry-broad-nib Rotring 600. Not only is it flowing just fine in the pen, but I'm shocked and amazed at how well-behaved it is on bad paper. We have these notepads here that feather so badly that you might as well be writing on Kleenex. It hardly feathers at all. Amazing. And it's a nice dark black too.

Another vote for Aurora Black. :thumbup:

I currently have it in a TWSBI Mini with the 1,1mm stub and was completely and pleasantly surprised at how well it performed on the crummy paper someone sneaked into the printer when I wasn't looking. For such a broad nib, I was expecting, spread, feathering and bleed-through but instead it dried quickly, the lines were "tight" (no feathering or spread) and there was virtually no show-through. :thumbup:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sinistral1

• amberleadavis

• Cyclopentadiene

• mrchan

Rats! Looks like I need to place another order to Goulet Pens!

Does any other company sell ink samples? I love Goulet, but there are ink companies that they do not have available, yet.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

You won't have any problem finding Diamine Registrar's Ink in the UK.

The ink dries acceptably fast on cheap copy paper and will remain legible for hundreds of years longer than the cited paper will last.

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

Waterman's Black works well also, even though it is a bit more... well... gray.

"We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

The absolute fastest black Ink for drying I have ever used is Sailor Kiwa-Guro. Believe me when I say that it dries almost instantly! It gives you a matte black. Not bad at all but the main downside is how expensive the ink is. Another one which dries at a reasonable rate is Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi(my favourite black of all time, try it and you'll understand why). Otherwise my two cents is that I dislike Perle Noir due to its brown-ness.

Would that particular sailor ink be a pigmented ink or nanoparticle based?

Rats! Looks like I need to place another order to Goulet Pens!

Does any other company sell ink samples? I love Goulet, but there are ink companies that they do not have available, yet.

Indeed. You can get samples from several. isellpens.com and andersonpens.net are two for example. And their samples are a little bigger :)

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

Hail Kiwa-Guro. Excellent, excellent ink IMO.

Lefties might be able to smear the carbon particles, but it dries fast.

It's about as permanent as you are going to find. And, no dyes to fade.

It is a "nano" carbon black ink.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Would that particular sailor ink be a pigmented ink or nanoparticle based?

It is a nano based particle ink that dried superbly fast. It leaves an interesting matte black colour with absolutely no shading. Very permanent as far as I've tried. I've had good experiences with it on very poor quality paper. Unfortunately it is expensive and the local shop that carries it in Australia sells it for 50AUD -_-

Edited by mrchan

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

It is a nano based particle ink that dried superbly fast. It leaves an interesting matte black colour with absolutely no shading. Very permanent as far as I've tried. I've had good experiences with it on very poor quality paper. Unfortunately it is expensive and the local shop that carries it in Australia sells it for 50AUD -_-

50 Auzzie dollars! wow... sure even in the U.K. we can get it cheaper than that!

Might I ask what pens you've tried it in? Is it safe enough for your more expensive pens?

50 Auzzie dollars! wow... sure even in the U.K. we can get it cheaper than that!

Might I ask what pens you've tried it in? Is it safe enough for your more expensive pens?

I've used it and left it about a month in my Montblanc 146 with no problem, and also used it in a parker 51 for about a few weeks. Cleans out easily and did not clog my pen. IMHO this is amongst the best inks for left handers who smear a lot due to being a side-writer.

Yeah unfortunately in OZ you just can't buy anything from the shops here. It all costs too much. I only buy an occasional ink bottle from the penshop here (which is even then, too expensive) because I cant afford/unwilling to spend anymore than I should. A bottle of Pilot Iroshizuku here costs 50AUD. -_-

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

Nib size also a consideration. Finer is better, less ink to wander.

I have definitely found that to be the case with OS Charles Darwin. In a Flex Piston Creaper it spreads and there's a lot of showthrough and some bleedthrough, on some kinds of paper (it was particularly bad in my current ink journal, which is made by Piccadilly; but then, that paper does really weird things with inks sometimes; OTOH, I also had showthrough with Rhodia...). In my Wing Sung 237 (which has an F or EF triumph-style nib, I didn't get much bleedthrough, but I was still getting some spread and showthrough (but no feathering). Haven't yet tried it on cheap copy paper yet.

But boy, that stuff dries fast! Almost *instanteously* on Rhodia.... :yikes: NOTHING dries in 1 second on Rhodia. But OSCD did....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I'm also looking for a super fast dry ink to use at work. The recycle pad paper here seems to have some sort of coating on it that makes ink sit on the surface for a while before drying. It's called "Cambridge everyday" A4 Notebook by Hamelin Paperbrands. Most inks are not safe to touch until after 20 to 30 seconds on this paper. I use a 50's 144 EF Montblanc piston filler.

Organics Studio Charles Darwin on order, can't wait to get it in my hands (as opposed to on my fingers! LOL).

Noodler's Bernanke Black and Blue inks in the same order.

Any other suggestions for a really quick dry that's smudge resistant?

Thanks!

Russ

Hi,

I'm also looking for a super fast dry ink to use at work. The recycle pad paper here seems to have some sort of coating on it that makes ink sit on the surface for a while before drying. It's called "Cambridge everyday" A4 Notebook by Hamelin Paperbrands. Most inks are not safe to touch until after 20 to 30 seconds on this paper. I use a 50's 144 EF Montblanc piston filler.

Organics Studio Charles Darwin on order, can't wait to get it in my hands (as opposed to on my fingers! LOL).

Noodler's Bernanke Black and Blue inks in the same order.

Any other suggestions for a really quick dry that's smudge resistant?

Thanks!

Russ

Well with an extra-fine there should be a number that work well, but it can also depend on the paper.

Waterman (Intense) Black for me has always been pretty well behaved and decent drying time on more absorbent copy paper and such. Though Diamine Eclipse seems to dry pretty quickly as well.

I normally use Noodler's Black Eel in my Extra-Fine (Japanese Fine or Japanese Extra-Fine, since even my MontBlanc 225 is probably thinner than the EF on the 144), which does dry decently on copier/laser paper but only if the nib is very small, and the lubrication in eel does have the possibility of smearing depending on the paper. In a medium (western) black eel is clearly a no-go and waterman black makes more sense when faster drying times is a desire, but not so much on water proof-ness. (diamine eclipse seems to dry faster, but has even less water resistance than waterman black).

And while I've never tried it personally, I'm told Pelikan 4001 Black is pretty quick drying (also a dryer ink to use in nib/pens that may be too wet for your taste).

I find that Aurora Black is too wet for cheap paper. It is a very nice flowing ink but in my experience it needs good paper.

For cheap paper I prefer Noodler's bulletproof black or Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black in a fine nib. :thumbup:

PS. Sheaffer Skrip Black is another alternative.

Edited by carlos.q

Here was an answer I just sent to another FPNer.

Anyway, being as you are in Ireland, I'd try one of the inks that are readily available to you and harder to get here.

The big caveat is that you need to get in the habit of cleaning your pen even if you are refilling with the same ink, and don't let the ink dry out in the that wonderful pen.

So, I'd suggest a modern Iron Gall ink.

First, they impress little kids and grown ups. They start out blue and turn dark blue instantly before they become black.

They are not prone to bleeding or feathering.

They dry quickly and once dry never smudge.

Once dry they are water resistant and fade resistant.

Easily available to you:

ESSRI

Diamine Registrar's Ink (this one is the driest writing of the inks)

Akkerman IJ

Hope that helps.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Here was an answer I just sent to another FPNer.

Anyway, being as you are in Ireland, I'd try one of the inks that are readily available to you and harder to get here.

The big caveat is that you need to get in the habit of cleaning your pen even if you are refilling with the same ink, and don't let the ink dry out in the that wonderful pen.

So, I'd suggest a modern Iron Gall ink.

First, they impress little kids and grown ups. They start out blue and turn dark blue instantly before they become black.

They are not prone to bleeding or feathering.

They dry quickly and once dry never smudge.

Once dry they are water resistant and fade resistant.

Easily available to you:

ESSRI

Diamine Registrar's Ink (this one is the driest writing of the inks)

Akkerman IJ

Hope that helps.

And R&K Salix. Of course the ultimate: Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black which is the non-iron gall ink that thinks/behaves like it is.

Looks good to me.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Oh good, I like to give good advice. :)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY