A First Look At The Italix Captain's Commission.

Lorna Reed

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue_Moon

• pjford

• Scribble Monboddo

• MisterBoll

I received my Captain's Commission w/ a 1.3 mm broad nib and the pen is gorgeous. It also seems to be the wettest writer of any of the pens that I've used (admittedly only 8 other pens - I'm still pretty new). I have other pens with 1.1 mm nibs and there's a huge difference between my current 1.1 and the new Italix 1.3. It puts out so much ink that there's very little, if any, variation when writing. I've tried it on a variety of papers (copier paper, Clairefontaine, black n' red, American Stationary, Levenger 3x5 cards, Levenger planning tablets) with the same results.

I'm also still learning the different properties of various inks, so I'm sure that there's a dryer ink that would be better than the Diamine Bilberry that I've used in it so far.

Are there better inks to use with this nib or a way to adjust it so that it doesn't put out so much ink?

Thank you in advance for helping out a newbie.

• 2 months later...

Since I found out that I have the tendency to rotate my pen, I have been wanting to try an oblique nib. I ordered a Captain's Commission with a Medium Italic Oblique nib and it arrived this morning (only one and a half day after I ordered it.). After trying it, I am very impressed: I found the sweet spot right away and the nib is gliding across the surface of the page. I was a bit concerned at first about the size of the nib and the line is lays down is definitely larger than I am used to but after a couple of lines I was feeling that I was getting used to it. As for the design of the pen, I find it classical yet distinctive and I do enjoy that. All in all, I love the writing sensation the pen offers and I have decided to use it as my letter writing pen from now on.

Edited by StevenSur

"Je suis un homme-plume. Je sens par elle, à cause d'elle, par rapport à elle et beaucoup plus avec elle." (Gustave Flaubert)

As from today the 15th of May 14, the Captain's Commission is available in burgundy too. MrPen

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

I'm quite attached to mine - 'not the best pen I've ever owned, but it looks interesting and the writing even gets favourable comments! 'Finally got around to posting my hand-written review here: http://scribbledemonboddo.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/italix-captains-commission-2013.html

Using words like "interesting," "distinctive," "not bad," and "different?" I disagree with you 100%! This is a fairly inexpensive pen that writes like a very expensive one. It is a pleasure to write with this pen. I think you must have some type of defect in the pen you received, because most people use words like "incredible," "awesome," "smooth," and "unparalleled." Your review is like a left handed complement.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

• 2 weeks later...

Using words like "interesting," "distinctive," "not bad," and "different?" I disagree with you 100%! This is a fairly inexpensive pen that writes like a very expensive one. It is a pleasure to write with this pen. I think you must have some type of defect in the pen you received, because most people use words like "incredible," "awesome," "smooth," and "unparalleled." Your review is like a left handed complement.

Then allow me to correct that impression! I may be modest in my praise, but I agree this is great value for money - and as a fellow FP obsessive you'll appreciate how significant it is that I put this in my pocket every time I go to work... :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm quite attached to mine - 'not the best pen I've ever owned, but it looks interesting and the writing even gets favourable comments! 'Finally got around to posting my hand-written review here: http://scribbledemonboddo.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/italix-captains-commission-2013.html

Thank you for this review and writing sample in one. I ordered one with a medium cursive stub and look forward to seeing what I think of it.

Thank you for this review and writing sample in one. I ordered one with a medium cursive stub and look forward to seeing what I think of it.

Please post your opinion, pics, and a writing sample please. I'm looking at this pen. I've got three Parson's Essentials and they are some of the best pens I own.

Please post your opinion, pics, and a writing sample please. I'm looking at this pen. I've got three Parson's Essentials and they are some of the best pens I own.

What nibs do you have in your P. Essentials? I was tempted by the medium italic, but thought I'd see what the medium cursive is like. I'm also interested in the C. Prescriptor and if I like the C. Commission, I'll order with the medium italic. Additional nibs are available, but as mentioned on the site you may as well buy another pen for the price.

I've got a medium italic and medium cursive stub, and standard medium. I'm getting a fine cursive stub from Mr. Ford soon. I've also got a Churchman's Prescriptor in (what else?) medium cursive stub. There isn't a lot of difference between the italic and the cursive stub, in my opinion, because of what smooth writers they are. Many italics tear paper and you have to hold them just so, and write carefully with them. Mr. Ford's pens write so smoothly that it isn't much of an issue, at least not mine.

I can't say enough about my Italix pens. They never let me down, and Mr. Ford's customer service is outstanding. That's why I'm looking at the Captain's Commission and the Viper's Strike.

• 2 weeks later...

You're very welcome. Mine still gets admiring glances in meeting - it will be good to hear you get on with yours too!

• 2 years later...

I ordered a Burgundy Captain's Commission last Thursday and it came through the post next day. I am delighted with this beautiful pen. It is classy. Very distinctive but not overdone, not gaudy. Very well done Mr. Pen.

I found the medium italic nib is a little on the broad side for my handwriting. I think a fine italic would suit me better. I wish to avoid muddiness - flooded ovals etc. I'm after clarity, sharpness, and some line variation. The variation doesn't need to be great, just a hint would do, so I sent the nib section back today in exchange for a fine italic. I believe thy're a little broader than they were, .85mm instead of .65mm so the variation should be subtle but noticeable.

• 2 weeks later...