A First Look At The Italix Captain's Commission.

Lorna Reed

My new Italix Captain's Commission arrived today, so I thought I'd share the excitement with some quickly taken photos.

The package arrives.

A first glance in the box.

post-41470-0-95972800-1375366311.jpg

The beautiful metal cap.

post-41470-0-48615700-1375366341.jpg

Next to a Parson's Essential.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue_Moon

• pjford

• Scribble Monboddo

• CBsoul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks fantastic to me. I am looking forward to receive mine and my friend's. It is a retirement present for her and I am sure she will like it too.

Kind regards,

Rui

Terrific images Lorna, I wish we could take them as well as you. All back orders are done, the last lot will be collected a 4.50 today. We have posted tracking numbers on all the overseas transaction accounts. I have had one on test since they arrived yesterday, no skips, really free flowing and it always starts. The nib is, however, broader than the Parson's, so all the adaptations are going to be slightly broader too.

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

How do the weights of the two uncapped and unposted pens compare, please?

(Edit to add: I mean Captain's Commission compared to Parson's Essential)

Edited by Mr Ink

Being spoiled here in the US, I'm not used to having to pay international shipping. I'm going to have to just cowboy up and get one of these sometime. The pens are beautiful. Not only that, I love the names. That probably shouldn't matter, but I have to admit, I really do love the names. It's the Anglophile in me.

My Pen Wraps and Sleeves for Sale Here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/DaisyFair

Maybe I need to get one?

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Terrific images Lorna, I wish we could take them as well as you. All back orders are done, the last lot will be collected a 4.50 today. We have posted tracking numbers on all the overseas transaction accounts. I have had one on test since they arrived yesterday, no skips, really free flowing and it always starts. The nib is, however, broader than the Parson's, so all the adaptations are going to be slightly broader too.

Mr. Ford, maybe you should ask Lorna if you can use her picture of the pen, lol? I say that b/c in the picture on the website, it really does give the impression that it is a shorter pen, which clearly is not the case.

Lorna, since you have the Captain's Commission now, I'm *sure* you won't need the PE- I'll be a nice guy and take it off your hands for you, free of charge even! ^_~

I wonder how all three pens compare, side by side (PE, CC, and CP)?

I made the PE in amber with a CI nib (fine or medium, not sure yet) the pen I was going to get as a reward, when I'm able to accomplish something pretty big that I've been unable to do for the last year (today- Aug. 1st- is one year to the day, actually). Of course, the Churchman's Prescriptor also went on that list and now it looks like the CC will be there too.

• 2 weeks later...

I never noticed PJ Ford represented at the DC Pen Show. Too sad. I would have liked to test and purchase a pen....likely so would have a hundred other people.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

How does this pen's nib compare to the Parsons? Does it write as smoothly? I love my Parsons broad italic stub but it is too broad for daily writing. I am thinking about ordering a medium nib next. I'd like to try the captains commission as long as the nib is equally as smooth.

• 2 months later...

WOW. Love that photo. :yikes:

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

• 1 month later...

Mr. Ford,

Your comment about the nibs being broader than in the other lines... does that mean, for instance, the medium italic would in fact be broader than 1.1mm, and one should perhaps order a size down?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Lorna, Since you've had your Captain's Commission for awhile, how do you like it now? Anyone else that has had one for awhile, feel free to chime in also.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

• 4 weeks later...

I do have a Captains Commission and I love it! It is a modern classic. The pen is a little longer than the Parsons Essential and just great to write with uncapped. I told Mr. Ford I was in doubt between fine or medium italic nib and now I have one that is something between fine italic and medium cursive stub. A fabulous daily writer. It looks great, it feels fantastic in the hand, rounded corners everywhere and just the right amount of weight in your hand. And it writes silky smooth, I'd say $300 smooth. It uses the same nibs as the churchman's only not bicolor but al silver/steel. The black shines and keeps shining caused by the brass it is made from. So when in doubt: the Captains Commission is my favorite Italix. The most up-to-date design, the bigger nib and the most well balanced when used uncapped.post-110416-0-89799500-1391801594_thumb.jpg

post-110416-0-84194600-1391801234_thumb.jpg

Edited by CBsoul

• 2 weeks later...

I put my order in about 3pm today; less than five minutes later an email tells me it's been shipped...!

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

I ordered one last week and it should be waiting for me when I get back from vacation tomorrow. It's a beautiful pen and this thread makes me even more anxious to use it!

Mine arrived about ten, this morning! That was quicker than deciding whether to go into town to choose one.

Just dipped it in Diamine Graphite and it wrote flawlessly albeit for just a line; I'll have to get cracking on some serious writing...

Since I can't upload the other pics yet, here's a comparison of cursive stubs :blush:

fpn_1393067727__italix_writing_sample_cu

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

The smoothness of Parsons Essential and Captains Commission are more or less equal and unparalleled with every fp I've ever owned, the nibs are different. Parsons Essential have a smaller nib, slightly thinner. My Captain's Commission with medium cursive stub gives definitely more line variation then the illustrations above suggest. Mr. Ford repeatedly warned that fine stubs give very little line variation. So for advanced users I'd go for an italic, beginners, go for for medium stub or regular fine or medium for daily writing. I use medium stub and writing is such a pleasure that I started writing again! I'm still in love with my Italix, best buy in years!

post-110416-0-28419300-1393077443_thumb.jpg

Edited by CBsoul