Honestly Can't Decide - S. T. Dupont Vs. Caran D'ache

Sh.Andrews

After using my modest collection for many years, I have come to the conclusion that my favorite pen materials are laquer over brass (or metal). I have narrowed down my next purchase to either a S. T. Dupont Elysee or a Caran d'Ache Leman. Probably the basic black with silver trim for both. I have no experience with the S. T. Dupont brand and only had an Ecridor Rotation from CdA. I am really impressed with CdA quality but hate the pencil sizing of most of their models.

I believe that both companies produce quality FPs but would really like to hear from FPN if one stands above the other based on quality and nib performance. Price is similar for both so not really a factor. Buying both at this time is not possible.

Which one would you pick and why?

Does anyone own both? Pictures are always welcome. :D

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• marcelo

• ArchiMark

• Sh.Andrews

I don't have either an Elysee or a Leman but I do have a couple dozen ST Duponts and a few Cd'As. I see no way you could go wrong with either but I tend to use my Cd'A Varius pens and Hexagonal more often than any of my ST Duponts.

Yes, they are very slim sections, among the slimmest of any pens I own and I do tend to prefer wider sections but Caran d'Ache did it right and feel great even during extended sessions.

Some pictures jess for you, no one else is looking.

http://www.fototime.com/379D0E014D2D68F/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/E2B1633572D95C4/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/E0F8C7A8BDBF619/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/5BE17A2603739D1/large.jpg

My Website

:puddle: Nice collection! I think I would like to use any of them. My pen selection is not that nice.

Not sure why CdA insists on making such small sections. I believe their market share would increase dramatically if they offered more larger models at a reasonable price point (not limited editions).

In Belgium the after sales service of Caran d' Ache is better. They even had a life time warranty, but I don't know this still exists.

I recently got a Léman but have not had the opportunity of writing with it yet. Deeply impressed but It's overall quality, size, weight, balance and look though. :)

There's a nice review of it I found on YouTube that I'll post here tomorrow. ;)

Edited by marcelo

Have a few LeMan's (how did that happen I wonder...) find them to be excellent in hand.. Balance is just right unposted (I do not post),the weight may be high for some.

The screw cap is secure with rubber o-ring between section and body. Can not be used as an eye dropper.

Here's another question: Are there nib sections readily available for either brand? For instance, could I buy an extra nib unit and have it ground to stub so that I could change point depending on writing mood? I know that Jar posted the link for GvFC nib units which seems rare (except in the case of Pelikan).

Here's another question: Are there nib sections readily available for either brand? For instance, could I buy an extra nib unit and have it ground to stub so that I could change point depending on writing mood? I know that Jar posted the link for GvFC nib units which seems rare (except in the case of Pelikan).

There seem to be lots of ST Dupont nibs listed on ebay but you need to really know what you are looking for. I have not seen anything on nibs for Caran d'Ache.

My Website

Do anyone of you guys know if the cap post securely on the Leman.

I was always interested in the Leman, but never took the step to buy one.

The Elysee is one great pen super smooth not flexible a bit stiff.

I find both pens very masculine, a real gentleman pen. :D :D

Edited by Soer

Do anyone of you guys know if the cap post securely on the Leman.

I was always interested in the Leman, but never took the step to buy one.

The Elysee is one great pen super smooth not flexible a bit stiff.

I find both pens very masculine, a real gentleman pen. :D :D

Just checked for you and it does post securily, but I'd not use it that way, since the cap is pretty heavy, unbalancing the pen.

Just checked for you and it does post securily, but I'd not use it that way, since the cap is pretty heavy, unbalancing the pen.

Thanks Marcelo for you response... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Elysee is a great pen. I have two of them and both are excellent. The nib is really smooth in all the Du Ponts I have.

I prefer Du Pont over CDA, perhaps quality is very good in both brands, but DP has "personality" IMHO.

I would chose Dupont over Caran d'Ache

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 months later...

In that choice I personally would go with the Leman, since I prefer the screw threads, prefer the dimensions, and have found Dupont lacquer to leave a little to be desired in my experience.

But you should get what YOU like.

I have both CdA and S T Dupont. The Duponts are my choice out the two, superb nib, and have "elan".

I don't have experience with either models but I do have pens from both brands and the quality of both is very high, easily on GvFC level. I tend to prefer the Duponts as they are more comfortable to hold. Does anyone know if Dupont makes their own nibs? I know Caran d'Ache does not.

I don't have experience with either models but I do have pens from both brands and the quality of both is very high, easily on GvFC level. I tend to prefer the Duponts as they are more comfortable to hold. Does anyone know if Dupont makes their own nibs? I know Caran d'Ache does not.

TTBOMK ST Dupont only finishes the nibs in house.

My Website

I would choose Dupont over Caran d'Ache. I like the weight and design of the Lemans, but I have had two in which the cap, when posted, would eventually leave a ring around the barel. Dupont is elegant and love the snap off cap.