New To Me: Montblanc 234 1/2

rennfahrer

Hello all:

I would like to thank fellow FPNer Soot for this wonderful 234 1/2. This is my favorite vintage Montblanc. This one has some scratches on the barrel and an oxidized hard rubber end on the cap (what the technical term?) but the steel alloy nib demonstrates great flex and is a smooth writer. It is no showcase pen, but I prefer the honest patina.

post-11617-0-99793500-1374817077_thumb.jpg

post-11617-0-52247200-1374817132_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rennfahrer

• karmakoda

• fountainbel

• JLS1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice pen, congratulations!

Is the nib a steel or a palladium version?

Looks to be a full flex to me !

Enjoy!

Francis

Hello Francis,

Thanks for your response! In the future, I need to send some pens to you for restoration! This pen has scratches, oxidation and brassing, but it is very "honest."

To answer your question, this 234 1/2 has a steel nib and is very flexible and smooth - some of my other steels are smooth but very rigid.

The 23x line is my favorite and I just purchased a 236 from the same FPN-member, which I will post soon.

Best regards,

Patrick

From the grand era of fountain pens, very nice. Congratulations.

The "honest patina" is good to see, sometimes over polishing loses the historical drama of a pen close to seventy years old. Amazing that nib imprints stay that crisp and those old pistons keep on working.

The hard rubber cap, at the end of the barrel is referred to as the "blind cap", assuming it can be removed to reveal the knurled piston knob.

Enjoy!

Congratulations - I also have a 234 1/2, which (like yours) is used but is a great writer. (That reminds me...I need to fill it with water soon to keep the cork hydrated)

You didn't happen to snatch the celluloid 146 that Soot was selling as well? (I was a day late and a dollar short as usual... :( )

Hello!

@JLS1 - No, I didn't get the 146. I can't wait to share the 236 with everyone later - it is simply stunning.

@karmakoda - Cheers for your Email as well - there is something about the "warmth" of celluloid and hard rubber than cannot be reproduced in resin. And just like the dial of a vintage watch, the more original, the better. By the way, I know about the blind cap - but the other end of the pen on the cap there is the hard rubber "top cap" that screws into the cap itself and holds the white MB star - there must be a term for that.... or I will just call it the top cap. ;-)

HAGWE all!

Patrick

Hello!

@JLS1 - No, I didn't get the 146. I can't wait to share the 236 with everyone later - it is simply stunning.

@karmakoda - Cheers for your Email as well - there is something about the "warmth" of celluloid and hard rubber than cannot be reproduced in resin. And just like the dial of a vintage watch, the more original, the better. By the way, I know about the blind cap - but the other end of the pen on the cap there is the hard rubber "top cap" that screws into the cap itself and holds the white MB star - there must be a term for that.... or I will just call it the top cap. ;-)

HAGWE all!

Patrick

Usually called the crown.

My Website

Usually called the crown.

Ah, the crown, jar to the rescue. I wonder if, somewhere on this vast network, there is a labeled pen diagram?

I agree with the appeal of wonderful combinations of celluloid and hard rubber, in varying colours and transparency. And the ambering of the snowcap logo.

Can't wait to see the 236, a rare one. Double Congrats and a half! :)

I am glad you're enjoying the pen, Patrick. These 23x series are wonderful writing instruments!

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Congratulations on your 234 1/2. I own three and I always have one of mine inked. The steel nibs are excellent as you know. The 236 is great addition to your collection as well. They are extremely hard to find.

Nice pen!! and from your sript it seems to write wonderfully well! Nice ink too, remember me the MB racincg green that I currently use with an italic pen.

Congrats!

Zenbat buru hainbat aburu

• 4 weeks later...

Congats from me also, i have 3 of them . One postwar `54 luxury version with a medium gold nib, one smililar to yours, prewar/wartime with a steeel nib, and an recently obtained wartime with palladium nib. Last one needs some light polisch and a new seal and is only dipped so far ....all 3 have beautively responbsive and flexy nibs, but the palladium one (despide dull looking) is wet an has a flex that seem imposible.

I alwasy had one 234,5 inked up, and i don't see that this will change in the future. Wonderfull size, wonderfull shape,wonderfull weight, wonderfull nibs.

It's a thing of personal taste, i think pens of that age should show their age...so do only a "cleaning-polish". More can always be done if that doesn't work for you later...

You will definitely have lot of fun with that pen.

Edited by scratchofapen